Holy Anarchy, Batman

SockeyeUS119

Super Anarchist
You can only imagine the desperately foolish decision they have made. I, ofcourse am honored that a sailing only club would infer that a few hours of volunteer labor could be morphed into 15 years of servitude. The notion of promotion beyond ones capabilities, was the subject of a famous book wasn't it.

The important part is that I am representing the future of sailing in our club and by extension the nation. anybody have any good ideas?

The original name was the Jib & Jug so don't be thinkin' blue w/ brass buttons.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
You can only imagine the desperately foolish decision they have made. I, ofcourse am honored that a sailing only club would infer that a few hours of volunteer labor could be morphed into 15 years of servitude. The notion of promotion beyond ones capabilities, was the subject of a famous book wasn't it.
The important part is that I am representing the future of sailing in our club and by extension the nation. anybody have any good ideas?

No good deed goes unpunished. :D

DPope

Maine
Reminds me of a buddy that got "elected" to vice commodore. He changed the title to Commodore of Vice. Anyway good on ya for stepping up.

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY

the first year it is honorable, the second year it seems easier, but by the end of the season you get irritated by little things. At the end of the third year, you keep telling others at the club "this is my LAST year doing this shit.............fucking ingrates" An if you're still an officer of the club after 4 years ....................................

best of luck. It IS an honorable job and one that many times gets unnoticed by the majority of the membership.

Last edited by a moderator:

White Lightnin'

Super Anarchist
Anacortes, Wa
You can only imagine the desperately foolish decision they have made. I, of course am honored that a sailing only club would infer that a few hours of volunteer labor could be morphed into 15 years of servitude. The notion of promotion beyond ones capabilities, was the subject of a famous book wasn't it.

Having just completed my "tour of duty" over the last three years. I now look forward to next year and being "Past Commodore". We take a turn at Rear. Vice and then Commodore. Follow that up with a year as Past Commodore and it's a four year commitment. It is an interesting time. Definetly ready to be done tho.

As for suggestions....

Youth programs, any and all you can find. Support them,encourage them, create them if need be. This is the future of your club and sailing in general.

WL

kevlar

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
Coagulations. You're now devoted to a term of what I call 'service oriented leadership'.

Depending on how your pogram works, I would gladly accept years upon years as a Rear Commodore with a smile and calloused hands..

It's important that we base the values of membership in a yacht club around sailing. Not restaurants, bar stools, or whatever. Never loose sight of your membership's little plastic castle and you'll be fine.

v-max

Super Anarchist
Tell people to bring you solutions not problems. Anybody can bitch and complain, it takes people like yourself to step up and fix things. Good job, good luck!

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle
I tried that job for a year, then they turned me into the commode door.

Much more useful position for my talents.

CJV

Super Anarchist
Long Island, NY
Congrats! Now we expect to see some funny stories about this. It's gonna be a long, cold winter, so maybe you should make some up!

Dick Johnson

Super Anarchist
Hasn't been the Jib and Jug since before my time....Good luck with that, it was a fun place to be way back when, then things got seriously yachty. Maybe that's the way of the future though!

SockeyeUS119

Super Anarchist
then things got seriously yachty.!
You'll have to explain your frame of reference because Jack Kutz is the only one crusty enough that can seriously call the current membership Seriously yachty

I hope there is time to get the fleet back up to past numbers. The good thing is that the guy ahead of me is Andy Parker, one of our best sailors, so we have a good slant toward racing.

Sort of a theme here....always folowing Andy.