Honestly, who really gives a damn about Afghanistan?

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Through Fiscal Year 2020, the United States federal government has spent or obligated $6.4 trillion dollars on the post-9/11 wars in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, and elsewhere. 

https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/costs/economic

I remember when the Kenyan had the arrogance of putting these wars on the budget cycle. Fox News was all over that shit for increasing the deficit.

We laughed at the Russians for getting stuck in the quagmire of Afghanistan and we were so stupid, we got stuck there twice as long. China is doubtlessly laughing at us and has been laughing at us.

Fucking stupid.
If the Kenyan guy had just left it as emergency spending it would have been free. Doggy Style!

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Was she born behind the Iron Curtain?  Might explain trumps connections, she was probably hooking for all the communist party bigwigs.  I mean, any woman who marries trump is obviously trading sex for money.  Not to put down women who do that, you do what you have to to stay alive.  Hope she is paid well, that dude is nasty.

Through Fiscal Year 2020, the United States federal government has spent or obligated $6.4 trillion dollars on the post-9/11 wars in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, and elsewhere. 

https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/costs/economic

I remember when the Kenyan had the arrogance of putting these wars on the budget cycle. Fox News was all over that shit for increasing the deficit.

We laughed at the Russians for getting stuck in the quagmire of Afghanistan and we were so stupid, we got stuck there twice as long. China is doubtlessly laughing at us and has been laughing at us.

Fucking stupid. Don't blame this shit on the guy who got us out. Blame it on the fuckhead who got us in.

Fuck you, W.
$17,500 for every man, woman and child alive in the US

benwynn

Super Anarchist
Mohammed Bin Lyin said:
How are things working out for women in Iran who had a taste of freedom and an education before the 1979 Islamic revolution?

Amnesty International UK

IRAN: 30+ YEARS IN PRISON FOR PROTESTING FORCED VEILING LAWS

Three women have been charged with 'inciting prostitution' for not wearing veils and sentenced to over 30 years in prison between them.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/actions/iran-women-jailed-viral-video-forced-veiling-hijab-law

View attachment 457854
I'm thinking of some sort of Unfair Derby.  We may as well make this fun. 

Olsonist

Super Anarchist
New Oak City
So Mohammed bin Gay is whinging about women in Iran wearing the veil.  That'll be another $4T.

image.png

image.png  

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Vietnam is a unified nation with a strong central government that gets on pretty well with the USA. I see no chance of Afghanistan ever making that kind of progress.
Kind of ironic, because historically Viet Nam has always been two or 3 countries, not one. They are ethnically different people with different cultures.

- DSK

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
There are really very few ways to handle retreat elegantly.  Especially when you have been spreading billions of dollars around buying nothing but sycophants and suck-ups and thinking they were "hearts & minds".  Even the best generals can fuck up a retreat:
That's why they should leave it to to their staff.

I can't imagine why there was not a plan in place for a fighting retreat, bringing as many of the Afghan assistants with us as possible. That was fucking incompetent. One of the absolutes in war is to have a lifeline when shit hits the fan, even if your Plan C is "call all the fishing boats and private yachts in the country, and tell them to go pick up our soldiers off the beaches of Dunkirk."

The bucks stops with Biden but I hope he is spending the next few days walking the halls of the Pentagon kicking some brass.

- DSK

The_Real_XYZ

Super Anarchist
mi
That's why they should leave it to to their staff.

I can't imagine why there was not a plan in place for a fighting retreat, bringing as many of the Afghan assistants with us as possible. That was fucking incompetent. One of the absolutes in war is to have a lifeline when shit hits the fan, even if your Plan C is "call all the fishing boats and private yachts in the country, and tell them to go pick up our soldiers off the beaches of Dunkirk."

The bucks stops with Biden but I hope he is spending the next few days walking the halls of the Pentagon kicking some brass.

- DSK
There are still 3000 troops at the airport.  They should be able to get everyone at the airport away.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
That's gotta be like Plan G-sub7c

Aside from that, 3,000 troops will not hold off the entire Taliban if they decide to make a determined assault.

- DSK
I would fucking hope the military has the Air Force ready to level whatever looks even close to suspect. 

The_Real_XYZ

Super Anarchist
mi
That's gotta be like Plan G-sub7c

Aside from that, 3,000 troops will not hold off the entire Taliban if they decide to make a determined assault.

- DSK
Yes they will, 3000 more are on the way, and they have air support.  I think the Taliban is going to play nice, at least for a while.  They might even make a nicer version of the country than they had before the US invasion, this isn't the same group that ran things before.  They were pretty much picked by the US to run things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Yes they will, 3000 more are on the way, and they have air support.  I think the Taliban is going to play nice, at least for a while.  They might even make a nicer version of the country than they had before the US invasion, this isn't the same group that ran things before.  They were pretty much picked by the US to run things.
I hope you and Raz'r are correct, but I tend to be a pessimist

As for the Taliban forming an actual working modern government, maybe. Stranger things have happened. One of the State Dept's problems a few years back was observing inside the ISIS/ISIL territory in Iraq, they were learning to govern and showed the potential to become actually better at it than the recognized gov't of Iraq. Lotta baggage though.

- DSK

The_Real_XYZ

Super Anarchist
mi

As for the Taliban forming an actual working modern government, maybe. Stranger things have happened. One of the State Dept's problems a few years back was observing inside the ISIS/ISIL territory in Iraq, they were learning to govern and showed the potential to become actually better at it than the recognized gov't of Iraq. Lotta baggage though.

- DSK
In cities they have taken earlier they are rounding up government workers that are hiding out and forcing them to go back to work.  If they play their cards right they could have a real working country and be rich.  We made hundreds of billions in infrastructure investments there.  I think these guys are at least smarter than trump. 

The_Real_XYZ

Super Anarchist
mi

- DSK
Also, look what happened in Iraq.  There were guys who were enemies, the ones holed up in Fallujah ready to fight.  We decided to leave them be and gave them a voice in the new government.  They took what was offered and it worked out fairly well, at least they didn't end up murdering women in the streets because of clothing.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
In cities they have taken earlier they are rounding up government workers that are hiding out and forcing them to go back to work.  If they play their cards right they could have a real working country and be rich.  We made hundreds of billions in infrastructure investments there.  I think these guys are at least smarter than trump. 
:lol:

I have squirrels in my yard that are smarter than Trump. You're right about the infrastructure investments, water systems and roads etc etc. We did a lot to be proud of, even for losers.

Supposedly, there are squazillions of dollars worth of rare-earth elements in Afghanistan's dusty rocks. They could certainly end up rich, but that could easily be a mixed blessing.... even an outright curse.

We'll see, eh?

- DSK

The_Real_XYZ

Super Anarchist
mi
:lol:

I have squirrels in my yard that are smarter than Trump. You're right about the infrastructure investments, water systems and roads etc etc. We did a lot to be proud of, even for losers.

Supposedly, there are squazillions of dollars worth of rare-earth elements in Afghanistan's dusty rocks. They could certainly end up rich, but that could easily be a mixed blessing.... even an outright curse.

We'll see, eh?

- DSK
In ten years, after trump supporters rule the USA, we might be fighting to immigrate to Afghanistan.

The_Real_XYZ

Super Anarchist
mi
Are you kidding - that is ISIS you are talking about. 
Fallujah was long before ISIS, it happened in the initial invasion, we would have had to lay waste to the whole city to get the fighters out, we walked away instead.  The guy in charge of the fighters in that city ended up with one of the top jobs in the Iraqi government, maybe even the top job, I forget now.