Honestly, who really gives a damn about Afghanistan?

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
Cristoforo said:
Afghanistan is only returning to the exact same Taliban shithole it was before the US arrived.  Nothing lost. 
Not true in the slightest . . .  Afghanistan was relatively secular before the 1980's 

but then the Saudi and US and Pakistan decided to back the most radical fundies they could find to fight the Soviets. 

They knew the pre-Taliban gang was thoroughly misogynistic but backed them anyway. 

Mark K

Super Anarchist
Give their NATO allies a heads up together with time and opportunity to evacuate Afghan interpreters, workers and their families.  The Kandahar air operations were creating a stable environment that was replaced with a vacuum overnight.
Yeah, that was a fu. Biden expected it would take a month for the Talibs to take Kabul. I hear even the Talibs were surprised at the speed at which the Afghan Army surrendered. Yes, the intell was giving us a guesstimate of about a month, but at the same time it has been apparent for about a month now that executive directives would be needed to clear the red tape blocking the transport of the people who'd helped us. Hell of a mess now.  

A

Amati

And then there’s this, which might imply 2 parties ready to fuck each other up.  Esp if you consider what’s already going on at the Chinese / Afghanistan border area- see the 2 articles (Global Times & US news) I posted above.  Let’s see, an ill defined small border area, small population, and the People’s Army.  Can anyone spell T I B E T?   

Edit:  I can’t get the article to post.  Too bad.  Try googling ‘Chinese negotiating style’

Last edited:
A

Amati

Last edited:

Mark K

Super Anarchist
Cristoforo said:
Afghanistan is only returning to the exact same Taliban shithole it was before the US arrived.  Nothing lost. 
It's hard to tell if the current generation is going to abide by Mullah Omar's vision of a goat-herding Islamic Eden. The long war and triumphalism may infect this generation with evangelical aspirations. I've heard some quotes from a few of them which indicate that's a possibility. 

Time will tell.  

Olsonist

Super Anarchist
New Oak City
Yeah, that was a fu. Biden expected it would take a month for the Talibs to take Kabul. I hear even the Talibs were surprised at the speed at which the Afghan Army surrendered. Yes, the intell was giving us a guesstimate of about a month, but at the same time it has been apparent for about a month now that executive directives would be needed to clear the red tape blocking the transport of the people who'd helped us. Hell of a mess now.  
Yeah, I would like some more detail on that. We've been leaving Afghanistan for more than a year, since Shitstain signed his accord with the Taleban. Feb 29, 2020. We got our shit out, crated and freighted to warehouses in the UAE. Not yesterday, over the last year, in an orderly fashion. Biden addressed the interpreter issue in July. And we've settled tens of thousands already.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/afghan-translators-will-await-admission-to-u-s-in-other-countries-officials-say-11625757547

https://www.atanet.org/industry-news/biden-defends-afghan-pullout-sets-evacuation-for-interpreters/

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Amati

It's hard to tell if the current generation is going to abide by Mullah Omar's vision of a goat-herding Islamic Eden. The long war and triumphalism may infect this generation with evangelical aspirations. I've heard some quotes from a few of them which indicate that's a possibility. 

Time will tell.  
Once they’re out in the open, the calculus changes.  But combine sudden success with ignorant ambition, and golly!

A

Amati

Yeah, I would like some more detail on that. We've been leaving Afghanistan for more than a year, since Shitstain signed his accord with the Taleban. Feb 29, 2020. We got our shit out, crated and freighted to warehouses in the UAE. Not yesterday, over the last year, in an orderly fashion. Biden addressed the interpreter issue in July. And we've settled tens of thousands already.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/afghan-translators-will-await-admission-to-u-s-in-other-countries-officials-say-11625757547

https://www.atanet.org/industry-news/biden-defends-afghan-pullout-sets-evacuation-for-interpreters/
And Ted Cruz has been blocking State Department staffing.  The man has talent! ;)

Hard On The Wind

Super Anarchist
GMT-8
Well that's a better reason than the USA usually put forward for going around world looking for countries to have wars with. :rolleyes:

Downvoting someone that points out that 50%+ of a countries population are being abused absolutely boggles the mind.
Not our job to police the world. I vote no on that.

Hard On The Wind

Super Anarchist
GMT-8
Karl Rove's strategy of attacking strengths was on full display with John Kerry, and is a proven strategy.  Biden's supposed strength is foreign policy.  It is practically all he has.  Any campaign against him HAS to use this fuck up, and use it extensively. 
Biden should have been more skilled at ending this war in a politically palatable way no matter the cost?

Hard On The Wind

Super Anarchist
GMT-8

Time will tell.  
Some in Afghanistan now have a taste for American style governance. If it's so superior then things will change there by the will of the populace. I think the law and order crowd will role with the Taliban.  

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
I will ask those who are critical of our exit from Afghanistan to go on the record with their opinion of what the US should have done and why. 
I'm not critical of our withdrawal.   It was one of the few things Trump got right.   He put it off until after the election for the same reason President Obama and Bush didn't do it.   Obama didn't want to sabotage Senator Clinton's campaign,  President Bush the lessor wanted a second term.    I'm critical of the poor execution.   Its not like the military lacks experience in running away.   

1. We clearly failed to realize how complete our failure was at training an Afghan military / police.   We acted like we could leave and they wouldn't collapse for weeks.  We gave them plenty of weapons.   It has been claimed they lack air support and can't maintain the equipment they have.   Again, we've been training them for 20 years!  That's enough time to go from kindergarten to aircraft technician!   The Taliban has even less of an air force.
  2. State should have had the Embassy cleaned out to nothing but a few memory sticks and coffee cups weeks ago.   It isn't realistic for the POTUS to micromanage this detail and I realize the State Department was heavily gutted over the last four years, but somebody should have an "Embassy in danger of being over-run" checklist left over from Iran.
  3. We have an ethical responsibility to grant green cards with pathway to citizenship to all those that stuck their necks out to help us!    I don't care if we let the wrong person in and a couple of them try to compete with our Home Grown Terrorists.   Its the ethical burden we face for getting in this mess.    If we give them a chance for a fresh start, odds are most will adapt.    BBB played a long interview with some poor guy hiding in a shop overnight near the airport.  He didn't have proof he spent five years helping our troops so we sent him off to be beheaded.   His interview was compelling.   The world is right to be horrified at our ineptness and embarrassed they aided us under NATO.    We need to let err on the side of humanity and let these people come to America.   Especially the women and children need a plane ride.
  4. We need to have some public hearings in three months, after the dust settles.   We need to figure out which state department idiots and generals lose their retirement.   This has been in the works since Trump.  There is no excuse for incompetence like this.   

Last edited by a moderator:

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
UT
No argument, he owns it.
And he did own it..."the buck stops with me".  Even though this was a Trump planned exodus, I really didn't hear Biden blaming anyone.  Recognizing America has fucked up the entire thing for 20 years is not avoiding blame.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Ya gotta know we agree on TFG's sedition. Nor do I doubt your patriotism, even tho yer a commie. You'd know a lot more about everything if you'd actually read other folks' posts. 

Fuck peer reviews, and basement blogs. Write your book or essay if you have something new to say. Otherwise, yer just another bullshitter.