Hong Kong to Vietnam Yacht race 2013

GybeSet

Super Anarchist
Last edited by a moderator:

doghouse

Super Anarchist
Walawala 2 (Sydney GTS 43) lost rudder last night, was taking on water and abandoned. All crew safe, picked up by Krampus and then most airlifted back to HK. Terribly bad luck for Steve, right after his birthday dinner too. Time for Walawala 3.
Just heard about this, had a buddy on board. Relieved I heard after the fact and everyone is ok!

L Z

Reporters
The Epoch times breaking news

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/323315-ragamuffin-breaks-record-in-race-to-vietnam/

https://www.facebook.com/RHKYC

official was finish time was 08:11.20 , time to beat was 08:15.45

4 minutes inside the time on the 14nm longer new course

100m ahead of the other 90

to all anarchists that wrongly hypothesised that Gen Risk was a shitter I told yous so,

put this in your pipe sailing keyboard and smoke it

just a matter of good ownership, funds and management
That along with the fact "that has just undergone a full refit (including sails, hydraulics, electrics, added daggerboards and a removal of the forward rudder) less than two months ahead of the Audi Hong Kong to Vietnam Race."

Most likely not really quite the same boat after all the mods.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Yes all Genuine Risk needed was an Aussie to get the firkin thing right. It only took 7 years and Syd on a budget at that..! I'm not sure that beating Chivas by 100 miles qualifies the boat as back in town, I hope I'm wrong, always like to see a boat given new life. Beating the record was great news also.

Swanno

Super Anarchist
Chivas is an amazingly slow 90 footer! They were 4 mins late for the start.
It has been sitting in Fremantle since May. Formally Nicorette, Yuu Zuu, Audi Super Light and chartered as Super Sled (did i miss any?) for the Freo to Bali race. Got line honours over a 38 footer.

It arrived in HK around the same time as Rags, so cant really use 'preperation time' as an excuise.

Rawhide

Super Anarchist
Pittwater
Anyone know what happened? Hit something? popped a bearing? Or just broke?

Walawala 2 (Sydney GTS 43) lost rudder last night, was taking on water and abandoned. All crew safe, picked up by Krampus and then most airlifted back to HK. Terribly bad luck for Steve, right after his birthday dinner too. Time for Walawala 3.
Just heard about this, had a buddy on board. Relieved I heard after the fact and everyone is ok!

Tropical Madness

Super Anarchist
atefooterz said:
Chivas is an amazingly slow 90 footer! They were 4 mins late for the start.
A lot has changed from when this was 1st launched & even with a new hull is almost 2-3 generations away from the current crop. A coachroof and davits may be on the cards for this IMS veteran!

Agreed, it is almost literally that.. a charter boat.

It beat Lucky (TP52) by 30 mins... Rags 90 smashed them by 7 hrs... so much for a 'match up'.

But im sure it was a great run downhill to Nha Trang and cheap beers!

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
Probably so everyone recognises her as GR and so that Syd gets legend status by showing a slow boat that never got results is fast in his hands.

Was showing GR on AIS when she left Sydney too.

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
I don't agree with the comments about chivas being a charter boat, she did win L/H in a Hobart race! Chivas and GR launched the same year too, so they aren't ligth years apart in tech or construction. GR has had some new mods but nothing radical. Well done GR / Ragamuffin

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts