slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
Just. 

No.

f6ad2b58-f193-47b4-87c6-af7127a407e5-just-say-no.jpg

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Those guys were looking for someone to do nice renderings of their HopYacht. I sent them some nice examples of a couple of my cat and tri designs for their marketing push and I didn't hear back from them. I was sort of upset to not even get a response but now I can see that they were doing me a favor...

Happy

Super Anarchist
Tropical Oz
They got one thing right: short-term charter cats don't really need a mainsail, very few people use them.

Aiming it at the couples market is not so smart. Apart from the smaller market slice, there is a strong chance of it ruining the holiday. They arrive, she takes one look at the boat and thinks "JFC what kind of blind cheapskate moron is this guy?! I don't want to be seen on that clown car POS!" She sulks, he gets no nookie, and people point and laugh at them at every anchorage.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Their function list was impressive; compact car analogy to fit a young families budget. Unfortunately, their other F word - form, didn't go well. Wouldn't be the first ugly boat to sell well. 

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
Those guys were looking for someone to do nice renderings of their HopYacht. I sent them some nice examples of a couple of my cat and tri designs for their marketing push and I didn't hear back from them. I was sort of upset to not even get a response but now I can see that they were doing me a favor...
The only sort of rendering that boat deserves:

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__2020__01__20200102-duck-Gribenes-Snack-frying-1500x1125-00f27168eae54a6bbc0d091d71a14e79.jpg

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
This is a South African boat that appears to be intended for export since it fits rather well in two 40? foot containers.   Where on earth do they intend to sell this?   The electric drive will definitely not work in the Caribbean where you must be able to motor as well as sail.   The Med?  Is this some form of resort rental boat?   A day rental where you will not run out of electricity?  

They definitely have the right idea for a 30 foot diesel powercat.  The sail has to go and it needs diesel engines or a generator for the electric motors. 

What a weird boat. 

Hopyacht blog

Yes, it is for the Med.  The way a young family or poor people can own the yacht is a timeshare agreement.  The sail appears to be standard.  The 7.5 hour range is perfect because the intention is to just harbor hop around the Med!   

I need five other people to go in on this boat!   For 35k euro each, plus dockage, insurance and ?  we got a boat in the Med!! 

Thanks Dylan!    

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at least it’s possible that the thing will be less ugly in the flesh than in the renderings.  It can’t be any uglier.  I did like the side-by-side comparison with the 36 foot monohull, which accidentally pointed out that the monohull has 3x the interior volume.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Perhaps its target market is the new public that is coming into sailing solely through YOUTUBE. 

"Hey honey, this one is a Catamaran just like La Vag. Says it sails. We can make the payments until we get our channel up and running, then that will pay for the Cat as we sail around the world 8 times and you have babies". 

Last edited by a moderator:

chester

Super Anarchist
you dodged the bullet on that one rasper