Hopyacht 30 - probably the worst £150,000 cat ever - vomitworthy

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Reality, it will sell.  Why, because it is new, it is “fresh” and it is the new IT boat.  The boat is aimed at those who are very new to sailing and the long legacy of how sailboats are supposed to look will have no bearing.  The new purchasers  simply don’t know anything different.  

Reference, the Mac 26X

accnick

Super Anarchist
Yes, it is for the Med.  The way a young family or poor people can own the yacht is a timeshare agreement.  The sail appears to be standard.  The 7.5 hour range is perfect because the intention is to just harbor hop around the Med!   

I need five other people to go in on this boat!   For 35k euro each, plus dockage, insurance and ?  we got a boat in the Med!! 

Thanks Dylan!    
Wait. Poor people own yacht timeshares?

I know some poor people who own yachts, but most were rich when they first bought them.

Boats will do that to you.

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
Well, at least it’s possible that the thing will be less ugly in the flesh than in the renderings.  It can’t be any uglier.  I did like the side-by-side comparison with the 36 foot monohull, which accidentally pointed out that the monohull has 3x the interior volume.
Exactly!  How does a single walk around queen make for a great charter boat for families?  A 3-cabin 36' production boat will sail better, only require one motor, cost less, not risk a capsize in an unexpected med katabatic wind, not subject you to withering backhanded compliments online and offline,  etc. etc.

PirateFoxy

That seems very small for charter. Even with just the two of us I’d want space to put a friend or family that maybe was going to join us for a couple of days where they had privacy, not a daybed in the living space. And it looks very narrow for stability. It’s basically like someone stuck pontoons and a mast on our RV, only with worse use of space.

tane

Anarchist
I seem to recall (1987) Austrian flag; figures, world champions here of inventing the wheel again, at least in boat design

freewheelin

Anarchist
WLIS
Exactly!  How does a single walk around queen make for a great charter boat for families?  A 3-cabin 36' production boat will sail better, only require one motor, cost less, not risk a capsize in an unexpected med katabatic wind, not subject you to withering backhanded compliments online and offline,  etc. etc.
They advertise to have the same beam as a 36-40' mono. They also start at a higher price point than a Jeanneau 349. So I am not sure what space in the market they are trying to fill. The whole point of cats is more space - without that who wants one. They say "stability" a lot, but anyone who thinks that a catamaran with the same beam as a mono will somehow have more stability has clearly not spent any time on the water.

nevetsyad

Hate to raise this zombie thread, but I'm...tempted to buy one of these. I'm done with stinky, shaky, not, loud, diesel engines, and maintaining them. Two motors also mean easier docking. There's mono docks near my house that it will fit in, instead of driving an hour away for much more expensive, "real" cat slips.

I'm also used to used Hunter 290s, so the electric toilet, 1,600 watts of solar, queen size bed, and nice open area in the back to hang out is tempting. Trampoline up front for my wife and daughter to lay around on is a huge plus for a small mono owner.

Down side, yeah, that single sail, they say they did 7 knots on a reach. No mention of running speed, I'm sure hull speed is over 7, right? Oh, it can recharge at that speed also, should make about a kW. Is it safe being that narrow of a cat? Seems like less roll than a single 30' mono, but if a big wave hits you on the beam...it's not coming back up after getting knocked down.

Thoughts? Looking to spend a week at a time on it with my little family of 3, recharging off solar, wind and hydro generation while sailing, putzing around the Chesapeake, or watching fireworks in/near DC on the 4th. Maybe get crazy some year and sail down to Florida.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
I guess the notion is to marina hop. which is required to recharge the batteries. the catamaran will be more efficient under power - and hence has a better chance of actually making it to the next socket. In that sense it might be a fun vacation - given it has enough range to eliminate range anxiety. but its also not much of a sailboat.

shebeen

Super Anarchist
local perspective - i saw the prototype launched at my YC for commissioning/marketing. It raised some eyebrows, but not exactly cruising paradise here.

It's a weird design for sure, looks like sit was done on excel and then went to the naval architect, but they didn't skimp there with Anton du Toit.

I sure wouldn't want to take one out in our local stormy waters, seems very much a marina hopper in protected conditions.

go try it out in Greece

Snore

Super Anarchist
DTSP and on OPB
Given that most 'credit card captains' don't reef and that many charter fleets un-rig the third reef, I can understand just the headsail. It will work out well in charter fleets and as a dockominium. But FFS- move the track outwards! The jib still has that butt ugly catamaran hook at the clew.

We know the dang thing won't point, so what is the advantage of having the track in board???

EDIT---- would never take a job delivering one transat. Offshore would be an adventure!