How about a The Ocean Race Europe thread?

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

The first 20 or so onboard snippets are uploaded. More to come...

Almost complete, but there is more coming in still.
I wonder why the stuff from 30., 31. May and 1 June has not been uploaded earlier? Is there no internet link from the boats to the HQ?

drm_ovl

Once again I have been thinking, while this is cool, is it due to a reliance on routing software and information?
No, it's a one class. It's been like this since 2014/15 for the shorter legs and even for the transatlantic 

jonas a

Super Anarchist
No, it's a one class. It's been like this since 2014/15 for the shorter legs and even for the transatlantic 
AIS is clearly part of the issue on the longer legs, maybe also on the shorter ones. Specifically for this leg, the conditions played a big role

Last edited by a moderator:

drm_ovl

Charlie of 11th blames the incident on "putting different boats in situations like that". Quite a debatable comment. 

crashtack

I'm seeing all these cool helicopter shots of the finish but there was no livestream at the time? Or am I missing something?

Also, are the EHR and Team Germany Imocas new or are they vendee boats?

MPH

Super Anarchist
NW
1 hour ago, drm_ovl said:

What a bullshit statement. How is this any different than boats of different kinds racing in the Fastnet, or Transpac, or S2H or Transat or...or...... Total cop out comment.

furler49

Worldwide
What a bullshit statement. How is this any different than boats of different kinds racing in the Fastnet, or Transpac, or S2H or Transat or...or...... Total cop out comment.
Absolutely a bullshit comment - he put himself there, against boats he wasn’t racing. I hope the rule book gets thrown at him. 

it’s tricky, he’s a guy you want to like but for Christ sake just own the fact that it was a fuck up. Internal debrief? Not required, hold your hands up and accept it like a big boy. 

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
The inconvenient truth is that if all those other boats had been imocas, there would probably have been a much bigger carnage
Wrong. There's no way you'd have an IMOCA60 fleet bunched like that in the first place.

They understand spatial awareness, apparently unlike, Charlie.

MPH

Super Anarchist
NW
The inconvenient truth is that if all those other boats had been imocas, there would probably have been a much bigger carnage
No way, the other IMOCA skippers come from shorthanded backgrounds where they know better than to put a boat in an inescapable situation like that. It's likely we will never know who was driving at that time but still...responsibility falls on Charlie there.