How about a The Ocean Race Europe thread?

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
If ever there was a time to get your foils to lift, rather than drag, this was it....

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 9.26.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 9.26.36 AM.png

jonas a

Super Anarchist
Well, it was kind of a strange situation. Many boats got stuck close to the exclusion zone, in almost no wind and then a sudden gust hit.

Not impossible in a bigger imoca fleet either, and such a mistake would easily destroy many foils etc, but I agree, most imoca skippers would know how to avoid such a situation. 

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
Well, it was kind of a strange situation. Many boats got stuck close to the exclusion zone, in almost no wind and then a sudden gust hit.

Not impossible in a bigger imoca fleet either, and such a mistake would easily destroy many foils etc, but I agree, most imoca skippers would know how to avoid such a situation. 
Situational awareness is the responsibility of every skipper, not just IMOCA one's.  Listening to Charlie's comments it was spoken more like a politician and less a skipper.  He (meaning the boat) rolled right into another boat.  His crew could see the other boats, someone could have communicated like "We're going to fuck them in the ass if we don't do something"...then they did.

If I was to defend them I would make comments about tired crew, tunnel vision and a skipper who forgets he has 15 ft of material hanging off the side of his boat.  But that is no defense.

Charlie, you ran into the stern of a boat...embrace it, learn from it, and just maybe, don't do it again.  Oh, and take your penalty an in public admit you (re helm) fucked up.  We'll like you more.

Soooo... leg 2 is next ?

Although maybe we can go back to the terrible fate of Mirpuri, which led the entire race until the last few hours, and finished late. They pay a hefty price for their north option, but there were 2 other boads (Corum and 11th hour) in the same area that changed course for the south: Mirpuri decided to continue on the north option, and it was a losing option. They had the information to make a different decision and a position that allowed them to change course. They didn't, and their loss is not entirely due to the lottery of the shifty, gutsy winds of the last few hours.

Now for leg 2, while the weather forecast is likely to change until Saturday, the race should start with strong winds on broad reach, with high speeds until slowing down before Gibraltar. The first half of the mediterranean sea leg will be on a close haul, not favorable to foiling IMOCA, but they will have good winds around 15 to 20knts. Expect many crossings, change of leadership, and a ton of manoeuvres. The end of the race is forecasted on light winds, and we hope it will be less of a lottery than Cascais' arrival.

More details at:

drm_ovl

No penalty for 11th:

"11th Hour Racing Team took penalty turns on the water and has now confirmed this with Race Management through its GPS track. The protest period expired overnight with no protests filed. Therefore the results on the water are now final.

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
Yeah... it absolutely can, especially for now forecast is light wind on a broad reach !
Would be quite frustrating for the IMOCAs to be caught twice! IMOCAs weren't designed for this kind of semi coastal races where ability to progress in flukey winds matter more and sheer power matters less. Nevertheless for the Ocean race it should be a bit different and they should manage to put a weather system between them and the VO65 on several legs.

Would be quite frustrating for the IMOCAs to be caught twice! IMOCAs weren't designed for this kind of semi coastal races where ability to progress in flukey winds matter more and sheer power matters less. Nevertheless for the Ocean race it should be a bit different and they should manage to put a weather system between them and the VO65 on several legs.
I didn't emphasize this aspect during my analysis, but around 1/3 of the race is on a beating with 15-20knts. I expect VO65 to do well in those conditions, even in terms of VMG with better angle. Maybe even faster with better position for helm ?

So the VO65 may catch up the IMOCA after Gibraltar, and be in the mix when the wind dies...

drm_ovl

I didn't emphasize this aspect during my analysis, but around 1/3 of the race is on a beating with 15-20knts. I expect VO65 to do well in those conditions, even in terms of VMG with better angle. Maybe even faster with better position for helm ?

So the VO65 may catch up the IMOCA after Gibraltar, and be in the mix when the wind dies...
Well, the next leg is just ~600nm with winds around 20knts which benefits the 60's. Given that it's such a short leg, we would expect that the 'rich get richer' will kick in and that the 60's will take this one by a fair margin. 

Well, the next leg is just ~600nm with winds around 20knts which benefits the 60's. Given that it's such a short leg, we would expect that the 'rich get richer' will kick in and that the 60's will take this one by a fair margin. 
I didn't see that ? At least using yesterday's weather forecast. Start is strong but that will be short-lived. After that, winds will be "in the face" for a long time, light at first then 15-20 - but on a beating !

Nochmal

No penalty for 11th:

"11th Hour Racing Team took penalty turns on the water and has now confirmed this with Race Management through its GPS track. The protest period expired overnight with no protests filed. Therefore the results on the water are now final.
Maybe the pirouette when their compass glitched counted.  ;)

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
I didn't see that ? At least using yesterday's weather forecast. Start is strong but that will be short-lived. After that, winds will be "in the face" for a long time, light at first then 15-20 - but on a beating !
Beating isn't really a problem for IMOCAs with foils, they provide righting moment without hull form, so 11th hour and Linked Out should do well (also remembering that LO is the proto super 60 intended to replace the 65s) . Beauru Valle may surprise us as its only semi scow, windy upwind for them limits any disadvantage of hull form. Einstein I'd expect to suffer amongst them as an older model, and Corum is a wild card, its a powerful hull platform, and like all aircraft carriers depends on how much it can lean on that corner ;)

Beating isn't really a problem for IMOCAs with foils, they provide righting moment without hull form, so 11th hour and Linked Out should do well (also remembering that LO is the proto super 60 intended to replace the 65s) . Beauru Valle may surprise us as its only semi scow, windy upwind for them limits any disadvantage of hull form. Einstein I'd expect to suffer amongst them as an older model, and Corum is a wild card, its a powerful hull platform, and like all aircraft carriers depends on how much it can lean on that corner ;)
I am not an expert of course ! But I wasn't thinking of righting moment, the canting keel provides a lot of righting.

When canting keels appeared on IMOCA class around ~98-99, the performance on a beat suffered and fins were added (single one at first, then one on each side like VO65 today). Are they called "fin" in english ?

The foil does provide some anti-drift effect, but I would expect the VO65 to have a better angle, and fight on VMG. But that's just an hypothesis !

Last edited by a moderator: