How about a The Ocean Race Europe thread?

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
I am not an expert of course ! But I wasn't thinking of righting moment, the canting keel provides a lot of righting.

When canting keels appeared on IMOCA class around ~98-99, the performance on a beat suffered and fins were added (single one at first, then one on each side like VO65 today). Are they called "fin" in english ?

The foil does provide some anti-drift effect, but I would expect the VO65 to have a better angle, and fight on VMG. But that's just an hypothesis !
From my perspective the VO65 is just a slightly longer, older, heavier IMOCA. All of its design features where things considered and adopted/rejected by the IMOCA fleet pre foils. 11th hour is a prime example of the (foiling) change as its a "thin" IMOCA compared to the 2016 fleet, it was the first designed to use foils and not hull form.

We already know that newer IMOCAS are faster than old ones in general, but that very light winds, and very heavy winds are the exception, so I'd expect the IMOCAs to dominate this race unless it's sub 10 knots, or more than 30.

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
When canting keels appeared on IMOCA class around ~98-99, the performance on a beat suffered and fins were added (single one at first, then one on each side like VO65 today). Are they called "fin" in english ?
They are called daggerboards.

A dagger in English is "une dague" in French. You slide the dagger straight in and out of its "sheath" (étui en Français), just like those boards in their trunks. Straight up and down.

The Ocean Race published a "best of leg 1", which takes mostly new footage. I think the short video showing the boats in the winds was more appealing, but well worth your 2-3min of time:

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
Marie Riou said something that caught my attention about pushing the boats.  In the solo race there are times when the skipper backs off because of conditions and what a solo sailor can handle.  Even then we saw boats break in the VG.

Now, with a crew they can push 100% all the time...like a 65, but the 65 is more designed for that pressure.  All this talk about how the IMOCAs will stretch out on the 65s on longer legs, but will they, can they last getting run at 100% all the time.

Granted, this is two fleets and they are not racing each other, but as crewed boats, they will be needing to put the hammer down more for longer times and it could over stress boats designed as solo sailing vessels for racing.  In TOR the VO65s maybe the steady eddie's, but on average they may be able to push harder, longer in strong conditions and survive.

The TORE is a great taste for the full meal next year and it will be intriguing to follow how well the boats survive.

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
Marie Riou said something that caught my attention about pushing the boats.  In the solo race there are times when the skipper backs off because of conditions and what a solo sailor can handle.  Even then we saw boats break in the VG.

Now, with a crew they can push 100% all the time...like a 65, but the 65 is more designed for that pressure.  All this talk about how the IMOCAs will stretch out on the 65s on longer legs, but will they, can they last getting run at 100% all the time.

Granted, this is two fleets and they are not racing each other, but as crewed boats, they will be needing to put the hammer down more for longer times and it could over stress boats designed as solo sailing vessels for racing.  In TOR the VO65s maybe the steady eddie's, but on average they may be able to push harder, longer in strong conditions and survive.

The TORE is a great taste for the full meal next year and it will be intriguing to follow how well the boats survive.
Indeed, the engineers underestimated the forces a foiler experiences when slamming down after launching off a wave, as in the VG.  Much may depend on the average conditions they sail in?

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Clearly, no - based on the high attrition rate for the new gen. boats. On the other hand, the VO65's a built like the proverbial brick shit house. What is it now, three RTW races?

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
3 hours ago, psylophitales said:

The Ocean Race published a "best of leg 1", which takes mostly new footage. I think the short video showing the boats in the winds was more appealing, but well worth your 2-3min of time:

Nicely edited and great sound track too.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Clearly, no - based on the high attrition rate for the new gen. boats. On the other hand, the VO65's a built like the proverbial brick shit house. What is it now, three RTW races?
The most reliable boat will win. The VOR65's have become that because in the early days they too suffered a high rate of attrition. The VOR65 in fact became that boat after the failures of various V70 designs. So don't be surprised if the VOR65's keep winning races against the Imoca 60 which is still evolving. And we know that the Imoca's can generate some very high speeds making them susceptible to damage and failure. Let's wait and see..........

drm_ovl

The most reliable boat will win. The VOR65's have become that because in the early days they too suffered a high rate of attrition. The VOR65 in fact became that boat after the failures of various V70 designs. So don't be surprised if the VOR65's keep winning races against the Imoca 60 which is still evolving. And we know that the Imoca's can generate some very high speeds making them susceptible to damage and failure. Let's wait and see..........
This. The 65's can push that boat no matter what basically but the 60's in rough weather fully crewed? Also, how are you going to stop that boat in the southern ocean? 

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Nice thinking, but at least now there is always crew available in the cockpit to limit the damage. Most of them came from wipe outs, Chinese gybes etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

drm_ovl

Are they going to stream the Cascais Coastal Race on Saturday and the Leg 2 Start on Sunday?
No more broadcasting on Eurosport so we are at the mercy of the "media department" of TOR  :unsure: . Perhaps we should chip on to charter a boat with a 5G dongle and a laptop; take matters into our own hands 

Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 11.48.01.png

furler49

Worldwide
No more broadcasting on Eurosport so we are at the mercy of the "media department" of TOR  :unsure: . Perhaps we should chip on to charter a boat with a 5G dongle and a laptop; take matters into our own hands 

View attachment 444786
Which idiot signs these kind of deals with 'Eurosport'. Traditional broadcast is dead. Social, Youtube and other streaming services are now king. I've had euro sport on my tv for years and not tuned in once. Not to rugby, not to sailing, not to cycling. 

Extensive coverage across 54 markets in Europe is only extensive if people watch it. How many of you guys and girls watched the shows on 27th / 28th and 29th? I go out on a limb and say none.

The Ocean Race Management make bad decision after bad decision and it's starting to drive me nuts.