How about a The Ocean Race Europe thread?

wildbirdtoo

UK
BV still repairing the sail as they go along....  latest FB pic

197106246_208857751064434_5246613953591981208_n.jpg

crashtack

Say what you want about Charlie and 11th, but they've shrank a 5 hour deficit to a 13nm one. amazing work, even if the light air helped them out

Loose Cannon

Super Anarchist
Planet Earth
It sure a hell could have been a lot worse.

At least, Charlie is sharing the hurt around. First, the starboard foil and now the port one.

I guess he'll get the hang of it sooner or later.
So they kill people off China running over a boat, and now they hit an anchored boat in the middle of the day.  At some point, don’t you either put a window in the sail or keep a watch down low?  I am a huge supporter but this scares the hell out of me.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
So they kill people off China running over a boat, and now they hit an anchored boat in the middle of the day.  At some point, don’t you either put a window in the sail or keep a watch down low?  I am a huge supporter but this scares the hell out of me.
For sure, racing around with boats that can reach such speeds need a strong penalty system that encourages better overall safety. Almost running down a moored boat in perfect daylight was reprehensible, IMO.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
11th Hour minus port foil has been the fastest boat in fleet. 232m in 24 hours quite a way ahead of all the other boats. Less drag and smart sailing.? Slightly narrower boat than the whole fleet and benefiting from coming up from behind to analyse positioning.? Interesting to see her close on the other boats..

drm_ovl

Finally, they are on the move. Great to see the Mexicans back in the mix. 11th going very well and is going to take over BV and Corum within a few hours, if it stays like this. Unclear is what is happening to the Germans: this is the third time we see a boat changing course: first one was BV, second was Ambersail. And it's just the Mediterranean.. 

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 09.40.12.png

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
143 nm to the finish, 65s within 20 nm of each other, pretty much wind on the nose the whole way, and light conditions at the finish...yeah, I'm not predicting this one  :eek:

You have to admit, 11th Hour may hit things, but they sure can sail the hell out of the boat.  Link looks like a lock, but I'm not cancelling out OTG given all I read here that upwind is not great for foils.

drm_ovl

For the ones that are wondering what the Germans are up to:

"

After leading the fleet into this second Day of Leg 2 "Einstein" is facing some technical problems which makes it hard to keep on racing at full potential.

Fortunatly there are no personal issues and the crew is working hard on a solution to get back into race mode as soon as possible.

keep our fingers crossed for a quick return into the race.

"

jonas a

Super Anarchist
143 nm to the finish, 65s within 20 nm of each other, pretty much wind on the nose the whole way, and light conditions at the finish...yeah, I'm not predicting this one  :eek:

You have to admit, 11th Hour may hit things, but they sure can sail the hell out of the boat.  Link looks like a lock, but I'm not cancelling out OTG given all I read here that upwind is not great for foils.
Yes especially in light wind, when keel is not canted