How is it that HOAs boss people around in freedom loving USA?

spankoka

Super Anarchist
I honestly don't understand this phenomena. I've heard of a neighborhood where you can't put a for sale sign in front of your house, you hang a wreath on the door like it's Christmas if you want to sell. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Plenty of Freedumb lovin ‘mericans happy to give up their prop usage rights to corporations. It’s the American way!

Sea warrior

Super Anarchist
Chicagoish
I honestly don't understand this phenomena. I've heard of a neighborhood where you can't put a for sale sign in front of your house, you hang a wreath on the door like it's Christmas if you want to sell. 
When did yanks become “freedom loving Americans “?

Thats News to me. It is all but impossible to leave ones house in this country without breaking one law or another or to have big brother take your picture.

That dear readers is not freedom.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC

Thats News to me. It is all but impossible to leave ones house in this country without breaking one law or another or to have big brother take your picture.

No, it's technology.

Cameras have become cheap and plentiful, anybody and everybody is taking your picture. Governments are the least offensive in this regard.

Or, you can make cameras illegal, that would be freedom, huh?

- DSK

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

You might want to read my response again.

Sea warrior

Super Anarchist
Chicagoish
No, it's technology.

Cameras have become cheap and plentiful, anybody and everybody is taking your picture. Governments are the least offensive in this regard.

Or, you can make cameras illegal, that would be freedom, huh?

- DSK

I’m not suggesting that the average yank can’t take my picture on public property, but the government?
Nah!
They should respect the constitution. You know the part about “unreasonable search and seizure “

Sea warrior

Super Anarchist
Chicagoish
You might want to read my response again.
I make a point of not stooping to the levels of stupidity that you always rise to so I tend not to be bothered reading your posts unless as in this case you quote me. And even then it tends to be an exercise in futility.

Last edited by a moderator:

spankoka

Super Anarchist
In an apartment or condo, I can see why there are a bunch of rules. I don't get why you take out a mortgage to buy your own single family home and then people micromanage you. However, I guess people know the rules when they buy if they have done due diligence. 

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
In an apartment or condo, I can see why there are a bunch of rules. I don't get why you take out a mortgage to buy your own single family home and then people micromanage you. However, I guess people know the rules when they buy if they have done due diligence. 
Some HOA's are part of a planned development, like Irvine, CA.They do that to keep things nice. Once in a while you may find a homeowner who wants a bright purple door on a pastel painted home, or decides to install artificial turf because they got tired of paying a gardener.

I have a friend who lives in a gated oceanfront community, and he pays $50 a month to cover security cost. A few years ago, I went looking at a house in Lake Tahoe, the home was priced fairly but the HOA wanted $60,000 a year. I cannot imagine the difficulty of selling a home with that kind of hitch.

The biggest problem is electing the wrong type of person to the board. I remember 15 or 20. years ago a retired college professor became a hoarder, rather than deal with it sympathetically, they went to court and seized the house using HOA contract language. Houses in her neighborhood ran about a million, so you can understand the financial damage the HOA did to her. Whatever she ended up with was minus large attorneys fees. Homes in that area today run three to ten million.

spankoka

Super Anarchist
OK, fair enough-run for the board if you don't like what is going on. That answers my question. Gated communities are considered an abonimation in Canada, but I can see the point that it is not much different from a condo building having a concierge. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
OK, fair enough-run for the board if you don't like what is going on. That answers my question. Gated communities are considered an abonimation in Canada, but I can see the point that it is not much different from a condo building having a concierge. 
Or better still move into a community where you don't have overbearing micromanagement and people obsessed with rules, life is too short for that level of bullshit.