How is it that HOAs boss people around in freedom loving USA?

spankoka

Super Anarchist
  It's quite simple, to preserve property values. Property values are affected by the condition of the neighborhood. A good google search might be the history behind the saying "there goes the neighborhood" 
I can't help but think that forbidding for sale signs is a way to help real estate agents keep the wrong sort of people out, so yes it is "there goes the neighborhood". I can see how this is different in Canada not out altruism, but because most Canadians naively assume that property values will always increase. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark K

Super Anarchist
I can't help but think that forbidding for sale signs is a way to help real estate agents keep the wrong sort of people out, so yes it is "there goes the neighborhood". 
 I thought the reason HOAs exist was the question. That they become ridiculous in spots is human.  Very likely a silly specific like this was the result of some joker in the past placing a silly sign out to piss people off...and calling it a "for sale" sign.   

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
Seems the HOA failed those sleeping folks in Miami
That brings up another issue. Buildings in Miami are being condemned as unsafe. What happens to the people who own those condos? Walk away with nothing to show? Is there some sort of insurance that covers something like this?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
That brings up another issue. Buildings in Miami are being condemned as unsafe. What happens to the people who own those condos? Walk away with nothing to show? Is there some sort of insurance that covers something like this?
Totally fucked from what I can see. Lack of maintenance is usually not covered. Liability should be covered if they had a sleepover or something like that.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Seems the HOA failed those sleeping folks in Miami
My understanding is that the HOA of that condo building tried to assess funds for repairs but too many owners fought it.

- DSK

Mark K

Super Anarchist
I'm wondering too. Seems they could all band together and assess themselves whatever it costs to get the building fixed and preserve their investment. They would have marketable condos that have a fresh 40 year certification.  I expect some to just walk away though, but as each one walks the assessment to the remainder goes up. That could snowball.