How is your town doing? Local Reports.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Try and say something about where you are reporting from.......country, region, town?

Vaccination uptake seems to depends a great deal on the local community. Drive 15 miles down the road and the vaccination rate and infection rate is entirely different.  Thus , perhaps, we can learn from different communities.

Transparency and reporting is an important component of what is going on in our town.  There is a "town spirit" to try and make it a safer place. The youth vaccination rate is really impressive.
Sounds like homogeneous values.  As you said, higher on the income ad education levels. One town, not tale of two sets of values.  

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz
I live in a city of about 38,000 on the south coast of West Australia.  What's Covid? 

Other than a few cases in returned overseas travellers during the initial 6 week lockdown period last year we have not had ONE case in our community. 

Re our vaccination rate in our region it's at about 60% for 1st shot and heading towards 30% fully. Given our older demographic this is a higher vaccination than other regions in WA.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Sounds like homogeneous values.  As you said, higher on the income ad education levels. One town, not tale of two sets of values.  
Except on the reservations.

Sure vaccination rates are higher in wealthy, well educated areas, that's a no brainer and no cause to pat oneself on the back.

It would be more productive IMHO, to be examining the differences in uptake across poorer and less educated demographics and try to reach the low vax places with some info to hand.  Could be culture and religion having some sway. Could be faith in local leaders, could be a lot of things.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Except on the reservations.

Sure vaccination rates are higher in wealthy, well educated areas, that's a no brainer and no cause to pat oneself on the back.

It would be more productive IMHO, to be examining the differences in uptake across poorer and less educated demographics and try to reach the low vax places with some info to hand.  Could be culture and religion having some sway. Could be faith in local leaders, could be a lot of things.
In rural America the local leaders are the problem, including many preachers.   The social media liars have much more influence though.  

A

Amati

I live in a small harbor town on the CT coast. We are adjacent to a larger urban town.  The town is run by a board of selectmen and there is a very good sense of community. The population is 21,700.  4,600 are under the age of 12 so our vaccine eligible population is 17,100.

As at 8/18, 96% of our vaccine eligible residents had at least one shot , and 88% had both shots. This will reach 96% in about 2 weeks.

Here are the age group details

1st shot    Fully Vaccinated

[SIZE=14.066px]12[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]-[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]17[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]     [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]97.48%[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]     87.72%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.066px]18[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]-[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]24[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]     [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]99+%[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]        [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]94.66%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.066px]25[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]-[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]44[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]     [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]85.77%[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]     [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]78.43%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.066px]45[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]-[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]64[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]     [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]95.38%[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px] [/SIZE]   [SIZE=14.066px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]90.92%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.066px]65+[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]        [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]99+%[/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px] [/SIZE]      [SIZE=14.066px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.066px]95.97%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.066px]I am particularly impressed by the 18-24 year old demographic setting an example to their community. They are 95% fully vaccinated and on their way to 100%.[/SIZE]

This is a very American town with a real sense of community . Neighbors drop off home grown vegetables on your door step. The local primary care physicians know their patients by name .  The neighborhood patch forums are proud of our vaccination achievements. The town selectmen update the town covid website on a weekly basis. We have a fraction of the infection rate of the towns on either side of us. It feels safe on the high street and folks still wear masks in the grocery store. Covid is addressed locally.

How is your town doing?
All ages, ~75%, over 65, close to 90%, local anti vaxxers are having weekly demonstrations, and it’s frowned upon to ask about vaccination status.  Since indoor masking is just mandated again, more people wearing masks indoors, maybe 5% outdoors. Pretty sloppy though, lots of bozo nose. Anybody’s guess about tourists, the young here like to brag about going off island, and most cases have been brought to the island, however cases of people from off island who go off island to be treated don’t seem to be counted (much) here.  A few breakthrough cases.  Mainland hospitals are slammed.  Just got an order of NIOSH approved N95’s last week, considering clear face guards.  People out, unmasked,  running and biking seem to relish coming close.  Puff puff. Until recently, we were the best county in the state, but word got out, and we’ve lost that lead.  The bay looked like a marina for the couple of days before Canada opened, crowds all over the place, outside & inside unmasked.  Then poof, gone.  

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/COVID19/DataDashboard

Last edited:

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
image.png

A

Amati

Try and say something about where you are reporting from.......country, region, town?

Vaccination uptake seems to depends a great deal on the local community. Drive 15 miles down the road and the vaccination rate and infection rate is entirely different.  Thus , perhaps, we can learn from different communities.

Transparency and reporting is an important component of what is going on in our town.  There is a "town spirit" to try and make it a safer place. The youth vaccination rate is really impressive.
USA, Washington State, San Juan County, San Juan Island. ~ 7000 permanent residents, ~17,000+ folks visiting during the season, using their island places, tourism. boaters, aviation. (Check out the link two posts above) We’ve been compared to the Hamptons as a parallel.  More people are using their properties year round now to work remotely or escape higher population density. Housing prices going up at an astonishing rate. Oldest and youngest are most vaccinated.  Hard to tell if folks from slammed states are coming here, vaccinated, to escape the lunacy of those places, or coming here to live unmasked, unvaccinated and free.  Even harder to judge folks from overseas. The vaccinated are more comfortable around those of us who are masked outside to also wear a mask outside, and let us know they are vaccinated.  There’s also a lot of staring at the ground, avoiding eye contact, outright verbal hostility, silent treatment, or loudly mocking those of us being careful with the people they are walking with before or after they pass.  We still wave at most people or say hi when we’re on walks- trying to break the ice, so to speak.  The strangest thing are couples walking, one wearing a mask, the other not, looking and acting belligerent.  Finding vaccinated people to socialize with who are happily willing to distance outside 10-12 feet is getting easier, but it still feels a bit risky, given the vague ‘advise’ concerning the Delta variant. (A thousand times more infectious?  WTF does that mean in practical terms?) The dearth of real info about all of this is maddening.  For example, if you can smell cigarette smoke from a coughing individual, what else of their breath are you breathing?  

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/can-secondhand-smoke-transmit-the-novel-coronavirus

https://asm.org/Articles/2021/July/How-Dangerous-is-the-Delta-Variant-B-1-617-2

Last edited:

Chasm

Super Anarchist
Teenagers are not stupid and the next school year is starting. They can see what is going on around them and the distinct lack of mitigation measures in schools. Unsurprisingly there is only minimal interest to find out if they are really less likely to get/suffer from (long) Covid.
Looks like school vaccinations are coming back in Germany. Some states announced them, biggest hurdle in mine seems to be politics around reserving a large block of vaccine. - While there are ~12 million unused doses in the system. So some schools organize a day trip to the nearest vaccination center for anyone interested instead..,  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
Population  +/- 130K

Since the start of covid 203 cases,186 flown in & 15 local transmission. Vax rate 60%+

2 currently hospitalised, no deaths

Lockdown last week for 3 days after a an infected visitor flew in and got loose in taxis, ride share, shops etc before detection. All clear now, no masks, no restrictions.

Ncik

Super Anarchist
Appreciate it

Here in Sydney we didn't realise how virulent the Delta strain was and having had no cases for a while became complacent, when the PM said the vaccination rollout wasn't a race just showed how stupid/arrogant they were.  However the biggest problem is despite setting rules the outbreaks came from people not following them and spreading it everywhere.  Not sure what you can do about that

PM me with your thoughts on the other subject
Based on the evidence presented in this thread, it is encouraging to see that Oz vaccinations is rapidly catching up to the US and UK, despite starting much later. It also shows that without getting the vax numbers very high (50-60% isn't going to cut it), there is still the very real risk of bad outcomes for societies from covid.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Based on the evidence presented in this thread, it is encouraging to see that Oz vaccinations is rapidly catching up to the US and UK, despite starting much later. It also shows that without getting the vax numbers very high (50-60% isn't going to cut it), there is still the very real risk of bad outcomes for societies from covid.
I think the number for herd immunity  is going to turn out to be closer to 90%. Vaccinated. .No science on my part. Our little town is teaching that level and we have fraction of the cases of the towns on either side of us.

Ncik

Super Anarchist
I think the number for herd immunity  is going to turn out to be closer to 90%. Vaccinated. .No science on my part. Our little town is teaching that level and we have fraction of the cases of the towns on either side of us.
And that will be 90% concurrently immune. The early adopters will be falling off the immunity train after 6-8 months if the latest research is accurate. Is your town getting boosters yet?

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
And that will be 90% concurrently immune. The early adopters will be falling off the immunity train after 6-8 months if the latest research is accurate. Is your town getting boosters yet?
No and I am past 8 months.   

accnick

Super Anarchist
No and I am past 8 months.   
We are at 7 months now, and intend to aggressively pursue boosters when we get home to FL next month. 

That is, provided there is anything left of Florida.

We are both over 70, and Pfizered.

We have been in Maine since May, but want to wait until after we drive home in case we have side effects this time. None before.

Tax Man

Super Anarchist
Toronto
Toronto - population about 3m and extremely diverse.

Eligible is anyone born 2009 or earlier.

83% with one shot, 77% fully vaccinated.  These numbers match the provincial percentages.

149 new cases today, with about 75% of them unvaccinated.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
About the same here in BC:

As of Wednesday, 85.2 per cent of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and

77.7 per cent have received a second dose.

It does look like having a vaccine might be helpful keeping you out of the hospital. The statistic below doesn't even tell the whole story. Older people, even with 2 doses, are more likely to be hospitalized. The rates are worse for the young, unvaccinated.

image.png

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
By the running trail today, 2 unmasked kids about 7 or 8 were selling lemonade and cookies. 

Parents not there, but obviously they had help setting up, making cookies, sign. 

42 new cases today in county. On border of 2 zip codes, with 5.5 and 7.8 percent positivity rates.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
I live in a small town of about 10 Million, called "Los Angeles".  I say "About" as they think there are upwards of 3 million "Undocumented" residents.  We've had 1.5 Million "Reported" cases.  I say "Reported" as I know most go unreported, such as mine.  When I got it, I got tested on the downswing, and got reported as "Indeterminate"!  I would guess that they're off by a factor of 3 or 4 or 8!  Statewide, they report 48.8 Million doses given.  But, since they really don't know how many people are here, they can't give a true percentage of those that are vaccinated.  My guess its that there are closer to 5 million "Undocumented" residents in the state!  They play a Spanish Language vaccination add on my local AM station.  Its an English language station that's News and Talk, mostly on a Conservative side.  I don't think that any Beaners listen to this station!  I took a few years of Spanish in high school.  I can't understand WTF they are saying!  I know the radio station just plays it because they are paid to.  Why are they wasting their fucking money on this?  Every Monday, the statistical report has a disclaimer that "Due to shortage of weekend staff, these reports may not be accurate"!  The DOG ate my homework!  

They make me wear a mask as I enter the restaurant, but then I can take it off to eat and drink.  Do I have to wear it on the way out?  If I don't, are they going to kick me out?  Most of the restaurants in my area that are still open are barely hanging on.  Their food cost have risen, their labor pool has evaporated, many received large fines for not following "Protocol".  Governor Hairgel and Company have raised the Minimum Wage to well beyond what the restaurants can afford ($15/Hr!).  Obama mandated that the workers be given Heath Insurance.  But, even with this, they are getting more money on "Unemployment" than working!  How the FUCK are we going to afford a $40 Happy Meal at McDonalds for our kids?  Since President Scarecrow (The One without a Brain) took office, my gas prices have almost doubled!   

My Mayor ( Mr. Yogapantz) hasn't been heard from in months, since the Scarecrow nominated him for Ambassador to India.  It might be due to the fact that it takes over 16 week to renew a Passport?!  

So I would have to say, my town is FUCKED!  

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Hard to find detailed statistics for Tasmania (Pop 541,071) let alone it’s southern regions. Tasmania has had a total of 235 Covid cases and 13 deaths overall since the start of the pandemic. The last death was in April last year, and all but one death was in the NW of the state. Haven’t had a Covid case in months. We have had only one local lockdown, March/April last year.

A Delta outbreak, even remotely proportional to Sydney would overwhelm out state health system, which historically (deliberately) teeters on the edge in any case.

Everyone we know, including us, are already double vaxxed, mostly AZ.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
I live in a small town of about 10 Million, called "Los Angeles".  I say "About" as they think there are upwards of 3 million "Undocumented" residents.  We've had 1.5 Million "Reported" cases.  I say "Reported" as I know most go unreported, such as mine.  When I got it, I got tested on the downswing, and got reported as "Indeterminate"!  I would guess that they're off by a factor of 3 or 4 or 8!  Statewide, they report 48.8 Million doses given.  But, since they really don't know how many people are here, they can't give a true percentage of those that are vaccinated.  My guess its that there are closer to 5 million "Undocumented" residents in the state!  They play a Spanish Language vaccination add on my local AM station.  Its an English language station that's News and Talk, mostly on a Conservative side.  I don't think that any Beaners listen to this station!  I took a few years of Spanish in high school.  I can't understand WTF they are saying!  I know the radio station just plays it because they are paid to.  Why are they wasting their fucking money on this?  Every Monday, the statistical report has a disclaimer that "Due to shortage of weekend staff, these reports may not be accurate"!  The DOG ate my homework!  

They make me wear a mask as I enter the restaurant, but then I can take it off to eat and drink.  Do I have to wear it on the way out?  If I don't, are they going to kick me out?  Most of the restaurants in my area that are still open are barely hanging on.  Their food cost have risen, their labor pool has evaporated, many received large fines for not following "Protocol".  Governor Hairgel and Company have raised the Minimum Wage to well beyond what the restaurants can afford ($15/Hr!).  Obama mandated that the workers be given Heath Insurance.  But, even with this, they are getting more money on "Unemployment" than working!  How the FUCK are we going to afford a $40 Happy Meal at McDonalds for our kids?  Since President Scarecrow (The One without a Brain) took office, my gas prices have almost doubled!   

My Mayor ( Mr. Yogapantz) hasn't been heard from in months, since the Scarecrow nominated him for Ambassador to India.  It might be due to the fact that it takes over 16 week to renew a Passport?!  

So I would have to say, my town is FUCKED!  
So the rational, logical, conclusion is: you should vote for the candidate who vows to fuck it up even more

- DSK