How many non-sailors here?

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
I see a lot of PA posters being active on the sailing bits of SA as well. Also, I see people making sailing references in PA. This got me wondering who the non-sailors are in PA and why would they bother with this relatively obscure (in a political sense at least) part of the interwebs?

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Where do you live?
It says on my profile. The Yarra isn't exactly a sailing river.
Learned to sail at Albert Park Sailing Club. I've still got the Keys to the clubhouse and boat yard .
Too wet and windy to sail there often, I paid my dues by working cleaning algae off the club boats and organising the working bees.

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
And swan poo off the ramps :)
About how long ago Meli?
It says on my profile. The Yarra isn't exactly a sailing river.
Learned to sail at Albert Park Sailing Club. I've still got the Keys to the clubhouse and boat yard .
Too wet and windy to sail there often, I paid my dues by working cleaning algae off the club boats and organising the working bees.
Small world, I was a member of apyc for about 5 years. Used to occasionally sail my wombat moth skiff there, fun except for the weeds. So I bought a solo for some class racing. Probably 20 years ago. At least 15 anyway. Also skippering and crewing orcv (bay and bass strait), which was my main focus.

Last edited:

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
About how long ago Meli?
Small world, I was a member of apyc for about 5 years. Used to occasionally sail my wombat moth skiff there, fun except for the weeds. So I bought a solo for some class racing. Probably 20 years ago. At least 15 anyway. Also skippering and crewing orcv (bay and bass strait), which was my main focus.
It's a nice friendly little club, perfect for kids to learn. I drove past last night, they had plenty of boats out on the lake. Unsurprising as it was the first sunny day we've had here in months.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
That lake is one of the best places to learn in dinghies, due to the weird wind effects from surrounding tall buildings, Palm trees and more. So while Meli maybe didn't sail a lot, I'm sure she would have picked up quite a bit of wind sense.
It is good, unless you hit the dead spot on the left side of the clubhouse and the currents take you into the weedy wall)
(I been rescued a few times :D )