How many reef points?

inneedofadvice

Super Anarchist
Sarnia
I recently picked up a Santana 35 that I have been single handing. It has one reef point in the main and I am thinking of adding two more. Is that enough? To many? Make the third one super deep? Get a storm main that I find doubtful that I'll ever use?

adrianl

Three reef points and you are good - we DH all the time and the storm trysail is only there to keep a race safety inspector happy - reality of actually using it versus 3rd reef is nil!!

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
How windy is it in Sarnia? Do you sail in the fall or spring when it is windier? 

2 or 3 reef points. 3 if you are really going to be beating routinely into 25-30 knots upwind.

inneedofadvice

Super Anarchist
Sarnia
How windy is it in Sarnia? Do you sail in the fall or spring when it is windier? 

2 or 3 reef points. 3 if you are really going to be beating routinely into 25-30 knots upwind.
Not a particular windy location but I do try to sail a long season. And while I wouldn't say I routinely beat in to 25-30 I would like to have an option other than flogging my main when I do. This is a new, larger boat for me(previous boat was an Olson 29) and although it is not considered overpowered, I'm noticing significantly larger loads as I try to move all that water out of the way.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
As a very fractional rigged mainsail driven boat, (more than a Olson 29) you'll need to learn how to depower the main by flattening it more and agressively playing the traveller and using the runners on the mast. 

I'd talk to a sailmaker or see if there is an owner''s association. Maybe a deep #2 will be enough. 

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I recently picked up a Santana 35 that I have been single handing. It has one reef point in the main and I am thinking of adding two more. Is that enough? To many? Make the third one super deep? Get a storm main that I find doubtful that I'll ever use?
Two reefs     First reef ..big , second reef equal to the third reef is the seaman like way to rig a main 

Think of it as 1.5 reef and 3rd reef 

booms typically only have two reef lines 

the extra reef  in a three reef sail adds   weight and cost to the mainsail 

inneedofadvice

Super Anarchist
Sarnia
Two reefs     First reef ..big , second reef equal to the third reef is the seaman like way to rig a main 

Think of it as 1.5 reef and 3rd reef 

booms typically only have two reef lines 

the extra reef  in a three reef sail adds   weight and cost to the mainsail 
Already has one, not sure how much it reduces the sail. It's 23kn gusting to 30 this evening so I guess I'll find out (with crew on this one). Figure reefed main and #4 should work.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
The number four is my favorite sail

you can push very hard 

make sure your Genoa Leeds are correctly positioned and the leech line is correct for upwind and reaching angles ……before the breeze comes on 

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
The Santana 35 and Schock 35 really like bodies on the rail. Have your crew eat a sammie before you head out.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
A deep third reef is SO much easier than a trysail. The convenience of it means you are more likely to change down when you should instead of hesitating because its all too hard. If you don't have the conditions that warrant it, just use two reefs and drop the mainsail for those rare times when it's really blowing.   

Mid

Blues Rule
1 and hike harder ....  :ph34r:

owner : bout time we reefed

sailmaker / trimmer : how we gunna do that ?

owner : wtf , why am I paying you if you don't know how to reef ?

sailmaker / trimmer looking up : remember how you wanted this main built ?

owner : hike harder you bastards .

Last edited by a moderator:

Frogman56

Anarchist
Sydney
Offshore, rough  water - 3 reefs @ (approx) 10%, 32 and 54% of luff length, If fractional.

1R In 22 TWS (4 jib)

2R in 28 (5 jib)

3R in just above 35 (SJ or equivalent)

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Offshore, rough  water - 3 reefs @ (approx) 10%, 32 and 54% of luff length, If fractional.

1R In 22 TWS (4 jib)

2R in 28 (5 jib)

3R in just above 35 (SJ or equivalent)
Most-boom ends have three sheaves …reef 1 ..out haul ..and reef 2

to rig the third reef you must drop the mainsail , re run the reef line into the third reef  then re hoist 

that maneuver just  lost you a lot of time , you got bombarded by flying fish , plus  buckets of cold sea water and flogged a year out of your main 

in a heavy air race the boat that wins is not always the fastest , its the one that deliberately carries on 

A purpose built two reef main  is a great compromise 

753F78CA-B1B7-4389-A08E-80F7CCB2EFDB.jpeg

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
As a day sailor-cruiser two reefs that make a difference seem best. No worries over losing 15 boat lengths.

Frogman56

Anarchist
Sydney
Slug,

Absolute horse shit.

For serious offshore, 3rd reef setup on a nappy prelocated and locked at the exactly correct longitudinal position.

Sequence:

1. Ease jib and main a little

2. Sail up inside the trim to about 1/2 heel

3. Smash halyard off to preset mark

4. High gear pull in on reef line to 95%

5. Mainsheet back on to 80%

6. Tension and settle tack

7. Wind in last bit of reef, perhaps one foot.

8. Return to day job

Total flap time minimised to well under one minute

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
You're forgetting that this boat only has two reef lines. So some one has go stand on cabin top (hopefully before third reef is really needed) release #1 reef line, pull it out of the sail, attach it to the mouse, pull it up/over & down thru reef cringle, get it around the boom & tied off.  NOT a fun job. If left too late & main is flogging at all, the whole main has to be lowered to do these things (unless you'd like a MOB option).

Got the t-shirt in several variations

Perhaps more to the OP question is how hard he wants to work on reefing - 3 slabs gives better control of sail area, but as a single handed sailor he's got enuff going on in big breeze. I'd think hard about two deep reefs

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
The previous owner on my boat setup the 3rd reef by adding a block on the side of the boom with one of those stainless halyard passthroughs to let the reefing line go through the boom to the mast. 

image.png

No idea how well it actually works as I've never needed more than 2 reefs yet. Definitely a lot more friction than the standard sheave on the aft end of the boom. I never bother reeving it when I'm sailing coastally. 

Latest posts