How much would you spend?

agencyone

Thinking about undertaking a full build starting with this old hull.  What would you think a fair price for the hull would be?  Been uncovered in the weather for 10+ years, built in 76.  15 layers of poly on C-flex.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/82811

Mid

Super Anarchist
main.jpg

agencyone

Inspected it in person and saw the layup plans from the builder, it's polyester on c-flex core (%100 GSM). 

We like it because it's the right size, displacement, and location, plus she's got elegant old school lines. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Famous designer and famous builder but there is an enormous amount of fairing required.

Have you ever built any kind of boat before?

If not then don't even think about it. Building from a big hull is one of the greatest dream and marriage killers known to man.

Have you considered why it's been sitting at that stage for 1/2 century?

Old rule of thumb for pro builders was 800 hours per ton of disp. - you do the math for an amateur.

I started with a build of a 26' and it took years.

I'd recommend restoring something smaller and scruffy but complete for a first effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I worked for the guy who invented C-Flex. It is intended to used as a male mold surface and will span a gap between frames or stringers of about 16" before it gets saturated with clear casting resin whereupon it is stiff enough to laminate glass mat and hopefully woven rovings to build up sufficient strength. Your comment that it is 100% GSM (Glass Strand Mat?) over the initial single layer of C-Flex would indicate that the builder didn't follow the thorough scantlings and laminate schedule that C-Flex would have suggested. I built enough C-Flex boats to learn just how labor intensive it is and if you don't follow the recommendations and keep things accurate and fair in the building frames and every step of the way you will have the biggest headaches (and backaches) fairing the damn thing! Run don't walk away!!!

Lex had it right

I'm not a professional, but I guess $6-$8k should do it.  

But do you think he'll pay that much to have you take it off his hands?  

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Inspected it in person and saw the layup plans from the builder, it's polyester on c-flex core (%100 GSM). 

We like it because it's the right size, displacement, and location, plus she's got elegant old school lines. 
If this boat was finished and new, how much would it cost?

That's within 10% of what it will cost you to complete it. A bare hull is less than 10% of the cost of the completed boat and probably 5% of the labor.

How much is it going to cost you to move it to where you are going to complete it, and build a roof over it? Add that to your project time & cost. Or if you're going to leave it in the open, plan on taking an extra three years or more while you wait for weather... and plan on re-doing about half of your first two years projects as they will be spoiled.

Building a boat is for the crazy people who are on a mission in life to BUILD THE PERFECT BOAT!! Shockingly few succeed in ever sailing their baby, but I think far far fewer succeed in having the PERFECT boat.... none, if they're honest.

FB- Doug

casc27

Super Anarchist
Much good advice here. I will only add that you should not buy a project like this because you want the boat. You get involved with something like this because you want the project, because you are excited about doing all the work. If you want the boat rather than the project go find something already sailing that fits your needs/desires and pay what it costs to buy that. You will save money and still have plenty of projects to do anyway. You will just get to do some sailing, too.

Zero would be way too much.

Have a look at this boat,  https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/alden-dolphin-3076971/ asking $95K.

It’s a similar boat by the same designer and a respected builder for a small fraction of what it would cost you to build out that hull.  

Cflex did find a following in stretching the lives of older commercial fishin boat in the east, but didn’t catch on for recreational boats.  The hulls were structurally sound, but heavy and, as pointed out, took enormous fairing labor.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
The C-Flex sheathing thing of stapling C-Flex over old tired wooden hulls was an anomaly and I did three of those projects, the last for 4 months in the Yucatan. Bill had gone to the ill fated Fastnet race and the guy who he had trained to run the C-Flex machine fell off the wagon when the boss left town. He didn't keep the resin dip/squeegy calibration just right and the wetted strands soaked the adjacent uni rovings and scrim and about a weeks production was useless for its normal intended use. Bill lost sleep over that and the C-Flex sheathing thing cost us probably $100,000 to try and find a use for maybe $10,000 worth of substandard product! Alan Vaitses listed above as the builder of that hull had been stapling heavy rovings over old lobsterboat hulls for years and he was the inspiration for the C-Flex sheathing system but I never heard of him adopting the C-Flex to his system. If done properly on an old wooden boat, they actually rose on their lines and floated higher that before the treatment. I would use it today on the right hull but probably only up to the top of the boot top. 

agencyone

Sorry, fat fingered that.  %100 GRP. 

We are looking for a project and I appreciate the wise words of caution.  This may not be THE project we want.

IMG1.jpg

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
there are projects, and then there are Projects. this isn't either of those. A Project would be if you had a sound hull and watertight deck with 1970s wiring, instruments, and interior aesthetics that you wanted to modernize. No pictures of the inside of that hull, but it doesn't look decked. I bet you'd be 100 grand and 2-3 years of consistent labor before you would even think of launching it.

Your layup schedule doesn't mention cloth weights. 

I just don't see this as your best bet.

i figure it'll run $85k  to get halfway through before you give up and sell it for $15k, if you can sell it ..

or you can save yourself some time and have a fun boat with classic lines

this ranger 33   is only $22k  in ca

Last edited by a moderator:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Run, fast as you can. There has been a lot of evolution of sailboat design in that time period. Newer boats are faster, more comfortable, bigger inside, etc etc.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Run, fast as you can. There has been a lot of evolution of sailboat design in that time period. Newer boats are faster, more comfortable, bigger inside, etc etc.
Yeah, but there is no logic in why people want what they want. He doesn't want a BETTER boat... although better in some demonstrable ways might be an easy sell... he wants a boat like he wants. Why do I want a 1930s jazz guitar? We want our dreams, only in tangible form.

FB- Doug