How on earth do I get my foot in the door for deliveries

Bowchow

Anarchist
Good morning guys. I'm a young kid looking for some guidance (Jobs would be sweet too!!) in the subject of delivering sailboats. I'm 22, sailing my whole life and racing for 12, coaching for 6, yadda yadda. Just recently, I got my Master Captains license and all the various courses needed to go with it (Sail, tow, stcw etc).

Ideally,I would like to do races (Newport-bermuda) etc and then do the delivery back as well, or only the delivery, or deliveries up and down the east coast, etc. Basically, I'm at my wits end with coaching kids and wish to move onto something a little more...... long term.

I've done a few small deliveries on boats I've raced on, but nothing serious. I have some offshore experience, but am definitely looking to gain more.

I've checked the classifieds on here, along with the crew board, and of course craigslist. I'm currently in Miami but definitely willing to travel.

Any suggestions anyone can offer would be much appreciated!!

Cheers

N

Last edited by a moderator:
Get involved with "real" race teams. The guys with the big dollar budgets that travel. Hang out at boat yards offering to do the shit work. Make friends. The community is small and everyone knows everyone. Personally i didn't go full bore into it like i thought i might at one time, but the connections i gained still surprise me. In December head up to Liquordale and see what raceboats are in town and start trying to make connections. SA is a decent place too - i once got a wetsanding gig through here that put a nice chunk of change in my pocket and i got to learn a bit about how race boats go together.

Don;t hate on coaching, though. I guarentee you will miss it when you give up all hope of being a BC and sit at a desk ten or eleven hours a day...

Wreck™

Wreck™
40N 75W
Go where the boats are, your location is not a hotbed of boat owners seeking paid deliveries. New England in the fall is the place to be when the owners begin to send their boats south for the winter, Newport would be an excellent place to look for this type of work. Annapolis is closer yet, there will be many boats leaving for Florida before the weather turns ugly. Hang out in Annapolis sailing bar/restaurants in October and make some connections, this is far more important then any certifications you may have.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
What's been said above, it's all about networking and making new connections. And from my ad in Crew Pool Anarchy on here, I got a delivery of an SC 34 from Newport to Southport after the NYYC Cruise a few years back. Turned out the owner was best mates with a local Boat Yard owner who also gave me deliveries from time to time.

LB 15

Cunt
Kid you are going to need to do few before ya start getting paid. Get yourself to the end of the big offshore races and walk the dock. You should have no trouble getting a few good trips for your CV, and then you can start to look for some paid gigs.

I trust you realise that deliveries are are pretty hard way to turn a shilling. It may sound romantic but the reality is that it is pretty hard yakka for fuck all money. But good luck anyway. If you do make a lifetime profession out of it and decide to write a book about your life, there is an excellent PR guy in Hong Kong we can put you in touch with...

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
You & Dubes still casual or are you going steady now LB?

Now, I'm not in the biz but why on earth do you want to do sail deliveries if you have power endorsements? Id concentrate on power if you want to make a living.

- Bigger customer base

- Customers willing to pay

- Less draft

- Won't matter if the wind is on the nose

- Less deck work

- Shade

- Fit more jobs in

- Nicer quarters

I could go on, but how often to you get that postcard sailing experience? 1 in 10 I reckon.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
I thought all boats are power boats when you are paid to deliver them?
Yes they are mostly power boat trips, if the wind is not cooperating. It's a "job" to move a boat as quickly and efficiently as possible, not a "cruise". But anytime the wind will help with boatspeed, most deliveries take advantage of that, unless it's a strict racing program with no delivery sails available. Time is money. And I don't know about anywhere else, but in New England; the pay can run from 150 to 300 bucks a day plus expenses, depending on how qualified you are, who you know, and how flexible you can be with a scheduled date that is a moving target. Hoping to blow off my real job for 2 or 3 days to deliver a boat from Annapolis to New England that just did the Transatlantic race. For me that's a mini-vacation that pays well!!

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
All 8 points still apply LB. Do you want to sit on the deck doing 5knots going around shoals or sit in the flybridge doing 15 upwind & cutting the corners everywhere? More comfortable & fit more jobs in.

LB 15

Cunt
All 8 points still apply LB. Do you want to sit on the deck doing 5knots going around shoals or sit in the flybridge doing 15 upwind & cutting the corners everywhere? More comfortable & fit more jobs in.
I am hearing you. Took a 70' power cat to Hammo a few weeks ago. 200 miles days in Air Conditioning and 8 hours sleep on the hook each night. I wonder if the young fella has read Chas's book yet. No doubt it will become the definitive work on the subject and will the textbook for delivery skippers. Kind of like Adlard Coles 'Heavy weather sailing' but with beer.

Good morning guys. I'm a young kid looking for some guidance (Jobs would be sweet too!!) in the subject of delivering sailboats. I'm 22, sailing my whole life and racing for 12, coaching for 6, yadda yadda. Just recently, I got my Master Captains license and all the various courses needed to go with it (Sail, tow, stcw etc).

Ideally,I would like to do races (Newport-bermuda) etc and then do the delivery back as well, or only the delivery, or deliveries up and down the east coast, etc. Basically, I'm at my wits end with coaching kids and wish to move onto something a little more...... long term.

I've done a few small deliveries on boats I've raced on, but nothing serious. I have some offshore experience, but am definitely looking to gain more.

I've checked the classifieds on here, along with the crew board, and of course craigslist. I'm currently in Miami but definitely willing to travel.

Any suggestions anyone can offer would be much appreciated!!

Cheers

N
Experience is your friend

pizza%20delivery.jpg

mad

Super Anarchist
I am hearing you. Took a 70' power cat to Hammo a few weeks ago. 200 miles days in Air Conditioning and 8 hours sleep on the hook each night. I wonder if the young fella has read Chas's book yet. No doubt it will become the definitive work on the subject and will the textbook for delivery skippers. Kind of like Adlard Coles 'Heavy weather sailing' but with beer.
Has anybody read the book yet?