How Racist is MAGA?

giegs

Anarchist
Arid
I really hope this is satire. Absent the use of a standard time traveling Delorean, exactly how am I responsible for the actions of someone that existed long before I was born?
That's part of what makes it a useful survey question. Probably helped filter other responses by assessing for knee-jerk.

Of course you're right on an individual level, but what about a societal one? Is there a collective responsibility to address past harms that extend into the present and future? If you benefit from a system that harms someone else, where does remediation begin?

Do I have a responsibility to run point dealing with LEO when I'm with minority friends? Not necessarily, but I think it's often the right thing to do.

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris
The Democratic party is the party of slavery, the KKK and Jim Crow. That's a despicable history they don't acknowledge and have never apologized for.
That's history. Today your party is the party of all the shit you listed. Prisons for slavery, Openly racist instead of the KKK and voter restriction as Jim Crow. That's your party right now. None of us were alive when this was the Democrats. You are the racist and fascists NOW. Don't you see the difference? Now go fuck yourself.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
That's part of what makes it a useful survey question. Probably helped filter other responses by assessing for knee-jerk.

Of course you're right on an individual level, but what about a societal one? Is there a collective responsibility to address past harms that extend into the present and future? If you benefit from a system that harms someone else, where does remediation begin?

Do I have a responsibility to run point dealing with LEO when I'm with minority friends? Not necessarily, but I think it's often the right thing to do.
The questions you asked are very reasonable. The survey question was not.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
That's what government is for.

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
Gotta love it when doggy pulls out the “Democrats were racists” trope… it means he knows he’s losing and is retreating to familiar ground.

Still, we have to be proud of him to not forget our past. Reminding Americans that the KKK was born of frustrated white supremacists fearing the impact of minority voters and using “states rights”, racial profiling and violence to exert dominion over other races and women.

@Dog 2.0 wants us to recall how literacy tests, poll taxes, exclusive primaries can be used to disenfranchise voters. And that if jury pools are restricted to registered voters, then all white juries can once again be the norm. So fighting for equal access to voting rights is crucial to ensure all citizens receive a fair trial.

Reminding Americans of all the ways whites have subjugated blacks and other Americans since the Confederacy is necessary to prevent it from happening again. Thanks @Dog 2.0 for keeping history alive.

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
I agree with Dog.

We should also teach the aftereffects of insurrection, how appeasing traitors in order to enjoy peace and quiet led to systematic killings of Americans, voter suppression and a two-tiered system of justice & economic opportunity in our nation.

We should, as Dog points out, discuss how encouraging gun ownership in order to “protect individual rights against a tyrannical government” is akin to celebrating insurrection and civil war and we should teach our history in order to not repeat it.

@Dog 2.0 has made some good points and we would be wise to consider them carefully.

You made that part up. I don't encourage gun ownership and don't own one myself.
Yes, as I pointed out we are in agreement on this issue. Sorry your reading skills failed you.

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
Gotta love it when doggy pulls out the “Democrats were racists” trope… it means he knows he’s losing and is retreating to familiar ground.

Still, we have to be proud of him to not forget our past. Reminding Americans that the KKK was born of frustrated white supremacists fearing the impact of minority voters and using “states rights”, racial profiling and violence to exert dominion over other races and women.

@Dog 2.0 wants us to recall how literacy tests, poll taxes, exclusive primaries can be used to disenfranchise voters. And that if jury pools are restricted to registered voters, then all white juries can once again be the norm. So fighting for equal access to voting rights is crucial to ensure all citizens receive a fair trial.

Reminding Americans of all the ways whites have subjugated blacks and other Americans since the Confederacy is necessary to prevent it from happening again. Thanks @Dog 2.0 for keeping history alive.

Yes, as I pointed out we are in agreement on this issue. Sorry your reading skills failed you.
Do Jedi mind tricks work on Dog?

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
I really hope this is satire. Absent the use of a standard time traveling Delorean, exactly how am I responsible for the actions of someone that existed long before I was born?
It's a survey question, it doesn't have to be factual, it is trying to assess your opinion of something.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio

I had the same reaction as Monkey, I feel no societal guilt for slavery or the failures of the reformation, my antecedents were still in Russian occupied Poland. Furthermore, guilt plays no more role in a productive future then legacy does. I have no intention of giving my house to the Shawnee, no matter how legitimate their claim. Everybody should have the same chance for success, quality education and equal representation. Just as i don’t deserve any benefits from my European heritage, I don’t feel the need to pay reparations to somebody because his ancestors were disadvantaged before I was born, The past is the past. Arguing over ancestral guilt is just as productive as arguing over land rights based on transient ancestral occupation. The Shawnee weren’t first people either, just a recent predecessor. Giving them my house wouldn’t be fair to the Adena peoples.

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
It's a survey question, it doesn't have to be factual, it is trying to assess your opinion of something.
From the report in a section regarding support for policies that would compensate descendants for past harm attributable to racial discrimination:

"There is an inverse relationship between scores on the structural racism index and support for this mortgage assistance policy."

"There is a strong negative correlation between scores on the structural racism index and support for these efforts."

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
On the subject of reparations, taking it personally, viewing the issue from the perspective of “I didn’t come to this country until…” misses the point entirely.

This isn’t society’s members apologizing to one another.

Reparations should be viewed as the US government reimbursing or compensating individuals or groups for state sponsored fraud, theft, kidnapping, assault, torture and murder.

A white man living in America thinking that reparations are about him and his feelings is about as arrogant an idea as I’ve ever heard.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
On the subject of reparations, taking it personally, viewing the issue from the perspective of “I didn’t come to this country until…” misses the point entirely.

Reparations should be viewed as the US government reimbursing or compensating individuals or groups for fraud, theft, kidnapping, assault, torture and murder.

@Lark should know that reparations have zero to do with his feelings.
An increasing percentage of Americans identity as mixed race. More are. It seems fair to tax them to pay them reparations. Their ancestors wronged their ancestors. Like several here, I live in a mixed race household, My girlfriend is Japanese. My ancestors fought her ancestors twice. Her ancestors won once, but my ancestor got a pocket watch for his marksmanship in The Russian army. That is the past.

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble

Reparations should be viewed as the US government reimbursing or compensating individuals or groups for state sponsored fraud, theft, kidnapping, assault, torture and murder.

A white man living in America thinking that reparations are about him and his feelings is about as arrogant an idea as I’ve ever heard.
Any reparations for the Chinese? The Irish?

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
Any reparations for the Chinese? The Irish?
Do you believe in justice? Is there a statute of limitations protecting countries which commit crimes against humanity?

I’m not arguing FOR reparations at this time, I’m just saying they are a legitimate mechanism by which governments to respond to past systemic criminal use of power and that they have nothing to do with any one citizens feelings.

Dog 2.0

Super Anarchist
That's history. Today your party is the party of all the shit you listed. Prisons for slavery, Openly racist instead of the KKK and voter restriction as Jim Crow. That's your party right now. None of us were alive when this was the Democrats. You are the racist and fascists NOW. Don't you see the difference? Now go fuck yourself.

“What shall be done with the four million slaves if they are emancipated? Our answer is, do nothing with them; mind your business, and let them mind theirs. Your doing with them is their greatest misfortune. They have been undone by your doings, and all they now ask, and really have need of at your hands, is just to let them alone. They suffer by every interference, and succeed best by being let alone.” – Frederick Douglass (1862).

But Democrats couldn't leave them alone and the plight of blacks in America today is the worst in those Democrat run cities where they couldn't leave them alone the most. Democrats went from owning blacks to being their parents, neither of which worked out well for them.

Last edited: