How to Keep Tools From Rusting Onboard?

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
I put a new set of Craftsman wrenches and ratchets on board 2 summers ago, and though I've kept them clean and they haven't seen a lot of use, they are showing the first signs of rusting in their cases. My tools that haven't rusted appear to have an oil coating that came on them, so I'm wondering if there is an oil film that could be wiped or sprayed on tools to keep them from rusting while stored in the cabin?

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
The WD stands for ‘water displacement’ 

9F324EE9-7350-4F0D-851A-D86A52EAEC30.jpeg

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
Well shit fellas if we gonna pick flyshit outta pepper, I actually put the WD on a rag and wipe the tools with the rag…

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
The WD stands for ‘water displacement’ 

View attachment 452548

Ack! No. WD40 was/is for getting water off things and that's about all it's good for. It also does a pretty good job getting goo off your hands.

I’m a big fan of Boeshield for this kind of thing.
The best for penetrating, better than WD for lubricating, but still not great corrosion protection because it was designed to work inside wings and things.

Another option to wd40..
Better than the first two suggestions, but still not great at protecting.

I cover tools with LPS-3 and set them in the sun. It dries to a waxy, protective coating. Kinda the opposite of this approach:

Yes, and wipe off excess before use. 
But a protective coating is only a start. Put the slimy, protected tools into a Pelican case or some other AIRTIGHT, not watertight, box. It helps to put a rag in the box too because touching the waxy tools will slime your hands. WD40 gets it right off.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Ack! No. WD40 was/is for getting water off things and that's about all it's good for. It also does a pretty good job getting goo off your hands.
Yeah, it's the "getting water off things" that keeps them from rusting. Nobody's arguing that WD is a good lubricant but it's excellent for keeping rust off tools. LPS3 and Boeshield are great too, but I don't like a waxy coating on my hand tools. I use those products for long-term rust protection on stationary stuff like motors.

Cozmolene...

Any of the lanolin sprays will last a while LPS, CRC SP 350 or 400, Boing Shield also good.  I still like WD 40, as above if you use your tools and don't want to clean goo off everytime you use them then WD is good.  

The first thing you need to do is to put them in a wood box.  It's why machinist on ships use wood cases for tooling.  On a boat a wood box does alot to keep rust down.  For stuff I don't use alot bit don't mind cleaning before use, sometimes I will put in a ziplock and hose with WD then push air out of bag and store wet with WD.

My old man swore by two stroke oil.

He used to wipe his tools down with it and said it stuck to them better than anything else.

I can see how a wood box would work if the wood was impregnated with oil. I think I may give that a try.