how would you respond to this missive from your commodore?

Sounds like your Commodore runs a tight ship.

Now grow a pair and quit whining. You have RC Practice in 5!

FMJ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Sounds like your Commodore runs a tight ship.

Now grow a pair and quit whining. You have RC Practice in 5!

View attachment 440169
You don't like being on the Race Committee? OK maggot, this is the deck the Race Committee stands on... drop and push it away 50 times!

And NO!! You do NOT have permission to sweat!

Races run this way make me not want to participate - even in a beer can, it's frustrating to not get flags/courses/horns/finishes correct. I think asking people to shape up is quite alright. I've done serious and beercan RC, and would not be offended to be called out if I was not on my game. 
I get that, totally agree... however the way to improve the performance of volunteers is not to publicly bitch at them. Acting like a dick only makes everybody do a worse job.

If this is done on a rotating basis, and every racer has to do RC work, the ones who are not up to scratch need to be PRIVATELY told they are not up to par, given some training, and if they need motivation, introduce them to Sargeant Friendly, above.

FB- Doug

Ease the sheet.

ignoring stupid people is easy
People upset that this was done so publicly?

FFS, everyone who was on the water that day knows who fucked up.

bourbon on the bow

I suppose this opinion is borne out of frustration, similar to what this RO/Commodore is experiencing, that race committee sucks in general.  

Locally, no one wants to do it or take it seriously; and this officer is right--its not a hard job, especially when there are written procedures.  

Agreed that the overall tone of the email ended up being too brusk for full dissemination but the sentiment remains:
If I can't trust you to run a race properly, how can I trust you on the start line?

People upset that this was done so publicly?

FFS, everyone who was on the water that day knows who fucked up.
Exactly.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a classic "Dutch Uncle" response to someone with room to improve.  (I'm going to name my next boat "The Dutch Uncle" btw.) Yes, it's harsh, and from the perspective that he's working with volunteers - histrionic.  It's not how one would go about growing the sport. 

However, I personally appreciate honesty. So, when someone goes all Dutch Uncle on me I focus on the content of the message instead of the tone.  I've been racing for a while and even with all of my experience racing it's still pretty easy to make a mistake if I'm watching the carnage on the start line instead of worrying about the flags. 

Some skippers yell on the boat. Some don't.  Some skippers have trouble finding crew some don't.  Some clubs have trouble finding RC volunteers, some don't.  

I guess what you have to ask yourself is what kind of sailing club do you want to be?  One that encourages and teaches people how to participate in the sport, or one that has a hard time finding volunteers.  

Personally, I like the Dutch Uncle approach, when it's someone else getting yelled at. When I'm the one getting yelled at it's hilarious. And the best part of being the one getting yelled at is that I won't make that mistake again, I'll make a completely new one. 

At the end of the day, it's just a club race, right?  It's league bowling on the water. It's a game, and it gets wonky when people forget that. 

SmartSelect_20210501-092258_Chrome.jpg

Never Ever loose the opportunity to do a Good Job BAD!!

Next, take the one who is bitching the most/loudest and inform em..  Your RC next week - usually shuts them up in a heartbeat.

Next..  make sure this weeks RC leaves the bar with their tab PAID IN FULL.

and if someone gets their Feelings Hurt... 

Just Look Left

Everyone's an Expert until they have to do the JOB
...and if anyone gets really agitated and angry...

...just look right.

jgulli4d

Refer the writer to a folk song by Utah Phillips named "Moose Turd Pie"  It is about a railroad worker who due to his complaining about the food was made the cook.

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
If our commodore sent out an email blast like that, 

I would ask him (in private) for his immediate resignation. 

If that did not work, I would go public and involve the membership. 

I know around 30 past commodores, and I am one myself. 

I cannot imaging any of them sending out a message like that. 

And you also have to keep in mind the impact of that message on the Club - 

it is likely that it would be sent along to non Club members and perhaps to the local media as well. 

Your commodore is damaging your Club's reputation in your regional sailing community. 

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
with an Ollie.. automated timer that blows a horn. ... there's a few others out there as well...  but it's just for the horn... the timer also gives you a beep sequence for raising and lowering the signal flags... they actually work pretty well, (if they're charged up)... to the point where, like I said, I could run these races by myself... and have on many occasions. it frees up both hands for raising and lowering the flags. 
So Ollie's can travel back in time?  Who knew!

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Personally, I like the Dutch Uncle approach, when it's someone else getting yelled at. When I'm the one getting yelled at it's hilarious. And the best part of being the one getting yelled at is that I won't make that mistake again, I'll make a completely new one. 
[SIZE=25.2px]hi•la•ri•ous[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4px] [/SIZE][SIZE=25.2px]  [/SIZE]Characterized by or causing great merriment. Gleefully gay or merry; manifesting high spirits; exhilarated; jolly. adj. Mirthful; noisy; merry.

I respectfully and non-misogynistically call "bullshit." This is doubtless a corollary of the "I don't gift a fuck" persona that no one believes because we have eyes and ears and are over 10 yrs old.​

[SIZE=25.2px]hi•la•ri•ous[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4px] [/SIZE][SIZE=25.2px]  [/SIZE]Characterized by or causing great merriment. Gleefully gay or merry; manifesting high spirits; exhilarated; jolly. adj. Mirthful; noisy; merry.

I respectfully and non-misogynistically call "bullshit." This is doubtless a corollary of the "I don't gift a fuck" persona that no one believes because we have eyes and ears and are over 10 yrs ​
 Finally someone who understands my sense of humor ; ) 

Latest posts