Howe du yuu nkow yor Kali scool districk sux?

Ok Kidz, I never thought I'd ever get to say this.....but I have literally seen it f'ng all now. California Dreaming my ass...

Financialy strapped Inglewood school district still must cut despite $17M loan

By Rob Kuznia Staff Writer

Updated: 02/24/2012 07:28:58 PM PST

In its latest bid to stave off bankruptcy, the Inglewood Unified School District has secured a $17 million loan from the Royal Bank of Canada.

The catch is the beleaguered district needs to chop $7 million more from next year's budget. But after laying off 220 employees last year - 150 of them teachers - it's difficult to imagine how the schools can absorb such a hit.

Even in this era of historic cutbacks to education, Inglewood is currently the worst off financially in California.

For the past year, the K-12 district has been on the verge of becoming the ninth public school system in California to lose local control to the state since a law authorizing such takeovers took effect 20 years ago.

Going into state receivership is an extreme measure. It means the superintendent would lose his job, and the elected board its power.

At the root of the problem is an exodus of students, many of whom are leaving to neighboring charter schools. But Inglewood school officials are taking steps to lure students back. The most significant is last month's opening of a sparkling new La Tijera K-8 school, at 1415 N. La Tijera Blvd.

"What we want to see happening is parents bringing their children back to our schools," Superintendent Gary McHenry said. "Then we'll be OK."

As for the $17 million loan, officially known as a "tax anticipation note," it must be repaid by December. School officials expect to have most of the money

Advertisement

by then, saying the state owes the district about that much in delayed payments.

Even so, the board must make good on that $7 million in cuts.

On Tuesday night, the Inglewood school board considered extending, by another year, this year's 20-day furlough on secretaries, janitors, bus drivers and other members of the classified union. But the union put up a fight and the motion failed in a 2-2 vote. That would have saved $750,000.

The board did manage to pass a resolution calling for the layoff of 24 more teachers. That will save $2.1 million.

The teachers union, meanwhile, is in favor of a state takeover.

"They are just doing things all to save their fiscal shirts, if you will," said Pete Somberg, president of the Inglewood teachers union. "They're not doing the right thing by the kids."

For his part, Superintendent McHenry said he didn't realize the district was in such dire straits when he took the job in late 2009. But he said he's up to the challenge.

"The financial issues don't frighten me," said McHenry, who most recently led Mount Diablo Unified in Contra Costa County. "Trying to balance the budget - that's something I've been doing my last 12 years as a superintendent."

He added: "In previous districts we never went to the brink of bankruptcy. We certainly went there here. But we survived it and will continue to.

Last edited by a moderator:

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
Florida Sucks......

Hey, El, don't know if you are familiar - but the Ontario (Canada) Teachers Pension funds seen to own 1/2 the damn businesses in America......at one time they owned the big stove maker, Vermont Castings! Yep, not Vermont, but Canada......

Nothing new to see here....

Oh, yeah, Florida sux.

My MIL who is 90 just got a big ticket for going through a toll that doesn't take cash there....a brilliant move by FL so they can rip off motorists even more. Why have a person there when you can send people $25 fines if they don't have Sunpass.

Oh, yeah, I'm headed to that terrible place tomorrow - for ten days. Looking forward to it.

rolleyes.gif

PuffyJman

Super Anarchist
panhandle fla
My MIL who is 90 just got a big ticket for going through a toll that doesn't take cash there....a brilliant move by FL so they can rip off motorists even more. Why have a person there when you can send people $25 fines if they don't have Sunpass.
She didn't see the multiple signs before the exit that said "Sunpass only"? Maybe its time to get her off the road....

She didn't see the multiple signs before the exit that said "Sunpass only"? Maybe its time to get her off the road....

Yup. About 20 miles and 20 years ago.....

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
She only drives local, but my wifey was visiting and they went a bit further......and I use my wife to find if software is user friendly! Meaning......that she is a pretty typical klutz when it comes to stuff like that.....the iphone, BTW, passes the test with flying colors. :rolleyes:

I had to take a phonecall from her and look up her route to the west coast to make sure she was not gonna get hit again. Rick Scott must be very happy.

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
9o year olds should not be driving. And your daughter should not have been moved to Oakland.

You truly are the worst fuking parent I've ever known. Shame shame shame....
She's my MIL.

Still think that?

She does the NYT crossword puzzles, walks on the treadmill, flies all over the country, reads, keeps up on politics...and drives within about a mile of her condo.

When YOU move to Florida - have fun trying to make them do anything about old people driving! That will be fun to watch and about as difficult as making them do away with free flowing opiates.

:p

As to Oakland, I'm with it. It sux. I would never live there if I could help it (sorry Oaklanders, but I keep feeling like I am gonna see the Hells Angels in those old houses..the spirits are still there! To say nothing of the violent crime!)

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
You either can not comprehend anything I fuking say to you....or, you like me.

Both are quite twubbling......
We can't agree that Oakland sux?

That's a sad day.

Hey, when you are right you are right. How can I argue with that one?

Heck, when I was there I even visited the occupy and got to smell the old piss.

I rode my bike to the waterfront - 3 miles each way, and thought I was in some other country......

The weather is decent, though...and some great mexican food. Good coffee and a fine farmers market. You can always find something decent about a place - except Camden, NJ.