hull deck joint resealing

allweather

baltic
your talking hull-to-deck joint
Poor phrasing on my part. The proper joint of deck and hull is glassed solidly. No issues or need to do anything there.

It is however a polyester boat and there is a small gap between deck and hull paint that leaves laminate susceptible to water and eventual osmosis.
That is all the bead is there to prevent.

IStream

Super Anarchist
If it's already glassed together, I'd favor the epoxy + paint solution. The joint won't be working so there's no need for a flexible sealant.

Al Paca

Super Anarchist
El Lay
Use UV resistant caulking 

Sika... can’t remember the number ...UV 

if this is simply a cosmetic bead of caulking ...teak deck systems .. TDS deck caulking is UV resistant and available in most marine stores 
As usual Sluggo weighing in with the wrong advice.  TDS deck caulking is great stuff FOR A TEAK DECK. However, it contains silicone so you wouldn’t be able to paint it.  

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
As usual Sluggo weighing in with the wrong advice.  TDS deck caulking is great stuff FOR A TEAK DECK. However, it contains silicone so you wouldn’t be able to paint it.  
Sure 

any painter knows how to deal with silicone 

TDS is easy to use and leaves a superior  long lasting bead 

It requires no paint to protect it 

casc27

Super Anarchist
Poor phrasing on my part. The proper joint of deck and hull is glassed solidly. No issues or need to do anything there.

It is however a polyester boat and there is a small gap between deck and hull paint that leaves laminate susceptible to water and eventual osmosis.
That is all the bead is there to prevent.
Well, now I am confused. It sounds like you are describing a deck placed on an inward hull flange and the edge of the deck laminate is exposed? Pics would help. Otherwise, some good, practical advice above.

Al Paca

Super Anarchist
El Lay
Sure 

any painter knows how to deal with silicone 

TDS is easy to use and leaves a superior  long lasting bead 

It requires no paint to protect it 
Assuming white topsides paint and white or a light tan or gray deck paint, you’re going to put a black bead of caulking between the two?  Maybe on the shitboxes you sail on. 

Assuming white topsides paint and white or a light tan or gray deck paint, you’re going to put a black bead of caulking between the two?  Maybe on the shitboxes you sail on. 
It's comes in white and as above lasts along time without discoloration.  I used white TDS in the seam between our cabin house and the deck.  Have not redone in a whole lotta years still looks fine.

Some runabouts use white too on the fore deck.

Al Paca

Super Anarchist
El Lay
It's comes in white and as above lasts along time without discoloration.  I used white TDS in the seam between our cabin house and the deck.  Have not redone in a whole lotta years still looks fine.

Some runabouts use white too on the fore deck.
I did not know that. It is good stuff. 

allweather

baltic
Well, that looks worse than I thought on the picture. Was one of the areas I opened up to take a closer look. Boat will be out of the water in a week and in a hangar where I'll remove everything fully and set things to dry for some time...

Misremembered how it was in part...

As is the "joint" is just an ugly line where the two paints meet. However the job will be slightly more work intense because in some areas the paint came off. So I'll be checking everywhere for any lose chips, cleaning up the area and repaint those while I am at it.

In most places however it is more a question of aesthetics than exposed laminate(second picture). So my current plan is to simply prep the surface and paint over, sand and polish to a mirror finish afterwards and leave things.

2021-10-15-balu-deck_joint-4.JPG

2021-10-15-balu-deck_joint-6.JPG

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Well, that looks worse than I thought on the picture. Was one of the areas I opened up to take a closer look. Boat will be out of the water in a week and in a hangar where I'll remove everything fully and set things to dry for some time...

Misremembered how it was in part...

As is the "joint" is just an ugly line where the two paints meet. However the job will be slightly more work intense because in some areas the paint came off. So I'll be checking everywhere for any lose chips, cleaning up the area and repaint those while I am at it.

In most places however it is more a question of aesthetics than exposed laminate(second picture). So my current plan is to simply prep the surface and paint over, sand and polish to a mirror finish afterwards and leave things.

View attachment 468040

View attachment 468041
That bead of caulking is Uv burnt

the bead looks cosmetic 

painter like caulk beads… they hide the paint transition 

allweather

baltic
painter like caulk beads… they hide the paint transition
No kidding. I even get the feeling but really, really annoying on the boat since it does leave me with needing to fix it all...
Especially since when the yard did it we asked for it to be done properly but ended up with this. Took the price drop back then...

Latest posts