Hurricane Season 2022

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
I ask this every time a named storm comes through, could someone walk me through insurance coverages for the average homeowner in harm's way? In MI, when we get a strong storm, basements flood and people get zilch. You make a gross mistake (as my late brother did fixing a toilet) with your plumbing and your basement floods, you're covered. I know all about NFIP and it's limitations. Say I'm 65, retired, living in Clearwater and suffer $100K damage between wind and water, what would be a usual recovery. Every winter I think about FL, not so much this week.
Depends on resources. After charley There were fema trailers and blue tarps for at least 3 years after. If this track holds they are going to get absolutely creamed.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
I ask this every time a named storm comes through, could someone walk me through insurance coverages for the average homeowner in harm's way? In MI, when we get a strong storm, basements flood and people get zilch. You make a gross mistake (as my late brother did fixing a toilet) with your plumbing and your basement floods, you're covered. I know all about NFIP and it's limitations. Say I'm 65, retired, living in Clearwater and suffer $100K damage between wind and water, what would be a usual recovery. Every winter I think about FL, not so much this week.
The answer depends on who you talk to. For major disasters like this, the wait time for seeing a check from FEMA or your insurance could be long. It seems likely the vast majority of damage (dollar-wise) will come from storm surge. That's all FEMA. One neighbor had his home wiped off the slab during Charley (tornado) and said FEMA came out and handed him a $250K check right on the spot. $250K is the max for FEMA.

There are too many stories to even remember but, for regular homeowner's insurance, it all boils down to how well you did your homework. And right now, insurance companies are fleeing the state. It wouldn't surprise me to one day see Florida as a "If you can afford to rebuild or repair your house out of your own pocket, move to Florida!"

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Insurance companies are in agony, this one looks expensive.

Those of you in harm's way, please put safety first. Mother Nature does not discriminate.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
Rain totals like Noah experienced is going to be a huge part of the story come Friday when areas begin to compare experiences, pasture flooding rains. Hurricane force winds will travel to Orlando , plenty of misery to go around. Friday and Saturday will be beautiful low 80’s , blue skies and lower dew points as the first fall cold front takes up where Ian just was.
We are 12 miles east of Sarasota in a safe structure , waiting and watching for Ian.

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
Damn, I dear friend of mine bought a large home on a canal in Ft Myers north. The home has a dock big enough for a 60' boat, which he put in there last year. His plan was to do the great loop next year when he retires. This could be really bad for him.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
Rain totals like Noah experienced is going to be a huge part of the story come Friday when areas begin to compare experiences, pasture flooding rains. Hurricane force winds will travel to Orlando , plenty of misery to go around. Friday and Saturday will be beautiful low 80’s , blue skies and lower dew points as the first fall cold front takes up where Ian just was.
We are 12 miles east of Sarasota in a safe structure , waiting and watching for Ian.
Good luck.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
I'm told that Cantore is here and Waffle House is closed. Not sure which is a worse sign.
Cantore's presence is usually a guarantee that the big shit, whether it's snow or rain falls a little further away.
I remember when TWC team came up to Vail when we were forecast to get a huge dump of snow.. we got nothin and Breck, Keystone and A-basin got hammered.

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
agoypYq_460swp.webp

billsreef

Anarchist
Miami
I'm told that Cantore is here and Waffle House is closed. Not sure which is a worse sign.
It's the combination that spells bad news. Get out now while you can.

Just spent a couple of minutes staring at the satellite imagery, looking like it's aiming for somewhere between Naples and Ft. Meyers at the moment. We'll see what the NHC thinks in about 20 minutes.

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
Good morning anarchists. Here is what we are showing for Ian. Will be a Cat 4 before landfall and a Cat 3 shortly after:
Capture2.JPG

Here is what Windy.com has it at landfall, set for Wednesday night (tonight) at 10 PM between Sarasota and Cape Coral:
Capture4.JPG

Latest posts