Hurricane Season 2022

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Six days without power was no picnic - but, I restored an ancient generator the prior owners abandoned, and we had partial power. No A/C though -- NOT AMUSED I tells yah.  But we did have HOT showers. (What a luxury!)
I picked up an extra generator this year and AC is a big reason but we survived without AC after Charlie and could do it again. It helps to have a spring fed pond and a stilt house with deep shade underneath.

The extra isn't for me. I have rental houses across the creek that both have a well and a sump pump on the septic system. So, no water and no shitter even if you can raid a nearby swimming pool to fill the toilet tank. Lots of houses in this part of the world have wells and some have sump pumps and are basically not habitable without power, even if you can deal with the heat.

And, as nolatom points out, it's likely to be late August heat, the very worst kind. The overnight lows are above 80. There's no wind until a thunderstorm is blowing your blue tarps off the roof.

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
I picked up an extra generator this year and AC is a big reason but we survived without AC after Charlie and could do it again. It helps to have a spring fed pond and a stilt house with deep shade underneath.

The extra isn't for me. I have rental houses across the creek that both have a well and a sump pump on the septic system. So, no water and no shitter even if you can raid a nearby swimming pool to fill the toilet tank. Lots of houses in this part of the world have wells and some have sump pumps and are basically not habitable without power, even if you can deal with the heat.

And, as nolatom points out, it's likely to be late August heat, the very worst kind. The overnight lows are above 80. There's no wind until a thunderstorm is blowing your blue tarps off the roof.
Do ya have to remind me.

There is nothing like the sound of a plaster ceiling in an unoccupied bedroom falling at 3 AM.

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh

I'm looking for a 120v/ 240v 50a+ portable generator.  Unfortunately, most of the ones I've looked at divide the power into a 30a single phase plug as well as other outlets.  Frustrating. 

Of course, the man cave has a separate mini-split A/C unit - could you that as a cool off station. 

Luck, man. 

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
We bought a portable tri fuel gen that is supposed to be delivered this week.  In my area going to back to Carla in '61 ng has never been shut off and gas is a pita so the older one may go away, 3400 just didn't get much done anyway.  The new one is 8kw for gas/propane and 7kw for ng - now working on how to plug into breaker box - won't run central air but some lights, frig and microwave will be nice. And fans.  Hope this is like insurance - if you have it you don't need it.

billsreef

Anarchist
Miami
We bought a portable tri fuel gen that is supposed to be delivered this week.  In my area going to back to Carla in '61 ng has never been shut off and gas is a pita so the older one may go away, 3400 just didn't get much done anyway.  The new one is 8kw for gas/propane and 7kw for ng - now working on how to plug into breaker box - won't run central air but some lights, frig and microwave will be nice. And fans.  Hope this is like insurance - if you have it you don't need it.
After Hurricane Gloria on Long Island, went 3 weeks without power. Was living with my grandmother while in college (commuting distance to campus), my grandfather had installed a generator when the house was built. I would fuel up the generator in the morning, run the fridge, well pump and head to campus. Come home for lunch, refuel the genny and run the freezer, then head back to campus. End of the day, refuel the generator, run the fridge for a while, then the stove to cook dinner, back to the fridge, lights and of course the well. Of course there were a bunch of downed trees I had to take the chain saw to right after the storm, before I could even get to the road. I was missing my grandfather then, and glad he had taught me how to deal with such things in my younger years. So, yeah, get that generator, but expect to have to use it. 

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist
we had a emergency generator (generac) put in after our first winter when power was out in our area due to ice/snow taking out the power lines. It keeps everything running except the ovens which we have to not use when the power is out. We were lucky that it was a warm snow event with freezing rain etc. so we didn't have to worry about the pipes freezing. The downed power lines kept us without power for 5 days in March like 6 years ago.  got the generator that summer when a bunch of us in the neighborhood set up a deal for like 15% off if there were more than eight of us that got one at the same time. If I'm outside around the time they got installed each month I hear them all fire off to test that everything is okay.   

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
I'm scared, I'm a FedNat policy holder and an ex-agent.  In 2004 my main HO company went belly up.  Had to rewrite most of the book.  Everybody got fucked.

Now as we enter hurricane season my insurer is on life support.  I will have no alternative but Citizens if they go belly up.

I expect that the leg in special orgy will cost us in more money out of pocket and less coverage.  My ex-neighbor was a state rep and voted to change the Florida Residential Property Casualty Joint Underwriting Association to Citizens.  They just changed a sow's ear to a boar's ear.

Another day, another Florida property insurance company finds itself in financial trouble. This time, it’s Sunrise, Florida based FedNat Insurance Company and its affiliates, Maison Insurance and Monarch National Insurance that are facing increased scrutiny from regulators.

A pair of filings on Thursday, one with the federal Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the other with the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation (FOIR), combine to paint a gloomy picture for the company. FedNat and its affiliates serve approximately 152,000 policyholders in Florida, and another 96,000 policyholders spread across Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas. But the company recently announced it planned to pull out of all other markets except for Florida in an effort to shore up its financial foundation.

FedNat acknowledged in an 8K filing with the SEC that “there is substantial doubt regarding its ability to continue as a going concern under generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”).” For publicly traded companies, an 8K filing is required to notify their shareholders and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) when an “unscheduled material event” takes place.

That unscheduled material event could be related to the other document made public on Thursday by Florida insurance regulators at FOIR. Late Thursday, FedNat entered into a consent agreement with FOIR in which the insurer agreed to file a plan with the state no later than Friday, April 29th, 2022 (one week from today), outlining the insurer’s ability to secure and maintain a financial strength rating that would be acceptable to the secondary mortgage market.

A spokeswoman for FOIR declined to comment on the matter.

Earlier this month, FedNat was downgraded from an “A” rating to an “S” financial stability rating by Demotech, which provides unbiased financial strength ratings for insurance companies. The federally backed mortgage insurers Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac will not underwrite mortgages on properties unless the property insurer is “A” rated by Demotech.

FedNat also recently failed to file its annual 10k report with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), triggering a notice of non-compliance from NASDAQ. FedNat has until May 31st, 2022 to file the report, and has issued a press release saying they will beat the deadline. However, as previously mentioned, the 10K filing will include language warning investors about the company’s doubts over its ability to remain in business.

According to the consent agreement with Florida regulators, FedNat must also demonstrate that it can acquire sufficient reinsurance before its July 1, 2022 renewal date, as well as show that the company can support its existing business by securing additional capital, and address its non-Florida losses and policies.

Florida lawmakers plan to convene in May to address the spate of failures within Florida’s property and casualty insurance market that has been clobbered by lawsuits stemming from hurricane and storm related claims over the last several years.

https://thecapitolist.com/another-florida-property-insurance-company-fednat-teetering-on-brink-of-failure/

nota

Anarchist
Secured to what?
my normal 100 lbs fisherman,had two lines 3/4'' 50lbs seaplane cast danforth 2 lines 3/4'', 22 danforth ,50 lbs navy [draged ], other peoples moorings near by [mostly car motors on chain] two lines to them after they left one broke one held

all worked in deep by being in place for months

broke chafed 2 of the 3/4'' 3 strand and most of the 1/2'' despite best efforts at chafe guards

the doubled lines were different lengths by about 20ft so after failing the other took the loads

small sail boat had a collection of danforth and others moorings also lost 4 lines keep 4

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Like you, I've been thru this, and lost a boat.

My question went to where on the boat did you secure 8 large lines?

Or maybe a better question is where you'd tie off on a typical 4-6KT shit box? My 28'SB has 6 cleats, and none large enough for 3/4 line doubled up. Not sure a decked stepped mast would be a viable option to tie to. 

Or perhaps I misunderstood. Did you run some lines back to the stern cleats? Or perhaps a bridle set up? You lost some due to chaff. What was your prevention strategy?

tHx

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
old (or new) garden hose makes excellent chafe guards - even if you have to slit it and tape it back. Lines don't break they chafe and it can happen really quickly.  Hi tech lines while really strong aren't as good as dock lines which will give and stretch.  no jerking off.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
old (or new) garden hose makes excellent chafe guards - even if you have to slit it and tape it back. Lines don't break they chafe and it can happen really quickly.  Hi tech lines while really strong aren't as good as dock lines which will give and stretch.  no jerking off.
Yeah done that but some pros say they've seen rodes get hot and melt. Same with fire hose with the rubber liner tho that's my current defense. Guess we have to build/tape in some cooling "breaks." All lines are unlikely to be affected. 

Kinda wonder if a wire rope loop thru the bow cleats with rodes attached to the loop with thimbles would allow as many rode attachments as you can muster. OP was in an open roadstead situation as opposed to up a creek with trees and so forth.

nota

Anarchist
I get your boat is way bigger than mine but you use a fisherman in So FL/ Biscayne Bay?
chafe guards were hoses water on the 1/2'' 3 strand nylon and old fire hose on the 3/4''

as I have said now I would go BIG 2'' BUT NEED CHOCKS AND SAMSON POSTS UP SIZED to match and I would also use a huge bow eye down low to be a main mounting point just a foot off the water backed inside for the strain expected and avoid the high mounted lines catching rental sailors or dragging boats in a storm

no need for long lines just 2'' in chafe areas then revert to your normal working anchor lines with eye splices rings or swivels what you like to use

THE 47 FT  had a big bronze/chromed samson post on the fore deck about 4'' sq and 8'' hi off the deck

and a pair of large cleats mounted to the cap rail f/g 4'' wide so no chafe there as it was direct to the anchor from the cleat

two lines each cleat and 4 on the post that liveaboard stayed at anchor so the anchors had time to deep set as the 100lbs was not pulled often nor the danforths the navy was on the least exposed land side and mostly to limit swing

had a fisherman because it was cheap at a moving sale never dragged but was very ugly rust scared beast that lived underwater more set and forget mooring then used often as a pulled anchor

normal was a pair of  3/4 lines to the post and two 1/2'' lines each to a cleat

we had 24 ft columbia to go sailing and a daysailor dink also

mostly liked a danforth for temp anchoring in sand/mud but had a 25 lbs fisherman for rocks/reef anchor on the 24ft

hate plows and quickly resold any I had

Bones VIII

USA
Joe Bastardi was the best. Impeccable track record. He never got sucked in to the, er, alarmist "I need ratings" mode. Unlike many, he followed the science. Not once proclaiming he was the science.

nota

Anarchist
small sail was a 24 columbia old school 62 boat

she had dock set cleats two just off the bow + a big cleat a few feet behind front cleats had a fairlead each but the large single did not but held 2 lines  for 4 total

two extra lines ran by the big cleat but not attached and went to the cockpit winches two others went to mid ship spingline points

so two on the dock line cleats

two on the big cleat for anchor line over the rail

two over the rail then around the big cleat and next to winches to tie

two thru the front chocks and to the mid cleats for springs

all set line so only a few were strained at any one time ie lots of slack

nota

Anarchist
real south fla season is about 10 days away
if we get a 3-4-5 storm it will be/has been 8-15 to 9-15

new boat is on a trailer

cbs house is on a ridge with an armored roof doubled over a triple 1/2'' plywood base screwed no nails I tryed for 200mph we may see

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Everyone got your gensets ready to go? I ran our 7500 Watt Champion inverter model this spring for 20 minutes or so. Just need to fill the gas tank, roll ten feet out of the walkout basement, fire it up, plug into the house and throw a switch on the breaker panels. I would love to drop 5 or so grand for an automatic system, but since they burn 2-4 gallons of propane an hour, one really needs a buried 500 pound tank. The Champion will run all day on 5 or 6 gallons of gas, then we turn it off at bedtime. Just had the electrician wire in our 3 ton Mitsibushi split AC into the circuit so good to go.

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Everyone got your gensets ready to go? I ran our 7500 Watt Champion inverter model this spring for 20 minutes or so. Just need to fill the gas tank, roll ten feet out of the walkout basement, fire it up, plug into the house and throw a switch on the breaker panels. I would love to drop 5 or so grand for an automatic system, but since they burn 2-4 gallons of propane an hour, one really needs a buried 500 pound tank. The Champion will run all day on 5 or 6 gallons of gas, then we turn it off at bedtime. Just had the electrician wire in our 3 ton Mitsibushi split AC into the circuit so good to go.
Why cante you run the fuckere on natiuralle gas?