Hurricane Season 2022

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
a few decades ago, i was watching one of those WC geeks out in the storm... they mentioned his name and I told my wife that i knew a guy who lived down the street and was our paper boy with that name... so i did some research and got a hold of that guy at WC and yup, it was our paperboy.. he's long since left WC, but he said he hated standing out in those storms..
Did he ever find an indoor job?

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Those are now so valuable that even one that had gone through a crusher would probably be restorable.

Amusing to think that they couldn't sell them when new - some sat in dealers for 2 years. A few were converted back to standard models just to move them.
My circle of friends went through a bunch of hot rods but I never saw one of those, a convertible Challenger was the closest. I had a 69 442 convertible for a time, wish I still had it. My bother has a nice red 69 Vette convertible still, great looking tire-shredder.

Truth is, many of those cars drove like crap compared to much newer versions :)

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
My circle of friends went through a bunch of hot rods but I never saw one of those, a convertible Challenger was the closest. I had a 69 442 convertible for a time, wish I still had it. My bother has a nice red 69 Vette convertible still.

Truth is, many of those cars drove like crap compared to newer versions :)
Many?

All of them were shit compared to modern stuff. My Jag XJR has more horses than all but the very hottest musclecars, runs in the 13's, turns & stops, silky smooth, you can speak in normal tones with your foot to the floor and it averages 20 MPG.

But they had soul the new stuff just ain't got. No-one is going to pay $200K for my Jag in 30 years.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Many?

All of them were shit compared to modern stuff. My Jag XJR has more horses than all but the very hottest musclecars, runs in the 13's, turns & stops, silky smooth, you can speak in normal tones with your foot to the floor and it averages 20 MPG.

But they had soul the new stuff just ain't got. No-one is going to pay $200K for my Jag in 30 years.
Bingo. My usual ride is an 08 Vette convertible black-on-black-on-black with 29K miles that drives extremely smoothly and if you keep your foot out of it you can run 30mpg through mountain passes. It's now worth maybe a quarter what I paid for it.

It will never be worth that intentionally obnoxious 69 Vette 454 side piped monster my brother has! He once drove it into the underground parking lot at Microsoft headquarters and because it is so damn earth-shaking it set off the alarms on almost every car in there. He circled and then pulled into the only open spot, marked No Parking of course, grabbed his computer, looked up, was surrounded by security. He was parked next to Gates' 65 Stang :) Security loved it, let him have the spot for the appointment. He lit up the place with smoke when he exited, just for fun.

Last edited:

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
Bingo. My usual ride is an 08 Vette convertible black-on-black-on-black with 29K miles that drives extremely smoothly and if you keep your foot out of it you can run 30mpg through mountain passes.

But it will never be worth that intentionally obnoxious 69 Vette 454 side piped monster my brother has! He once drove it into the underground parking lot at Microsoft headquarters and because it is so damn earth-shaking it set off the alarms on almost every car in there. He circled and then pulled into the only open spot, marked No Parking of course, grabbed his computer, looked up, was surrounded by security. He was parked next to Gates' 65 Stang :) Security loved it, let him have the spot for the appointment. He lit up the place with smoke when he exited, just for fun.
True … 130mph is the same in both the 60’s muscle cars and a modern performance car… but you could feel the speed and being on the edge with a bit of fear in a 60’s ride. Even more of that concept was taking the family car up to its highest speed 😇

veni vidi vici

This is why those who lived through both say Charley was a walk in the park. And the part about the back end being more powerful than the front side is, I thought, contrary to everything we know about hurricanes.

There's a place in PG called Hurricane Charley's. Is a name change in the future?
Well the Cartel’s have their Carlos and Charlies , they can build back better as Charlie and Ian’s

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
True … 130mph is the same in both the 60’s muscle cars and a modern performance car… but you could feel the speed and being on the edge with a bit of fear in a 60’s ride. Even more of that concept was taking the family car up to its highest speed 😇
Am sure that's true, never dared to take even my 69 Stang fastback to 130.

Once touched 160 in this newer Vette, was smooth as silk. No comparison.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I've been over 130 twice - once in my '66 E-Type when I was young and once in my '02 Vette when I was old.

I find when I'm well into triple digit speed that I find myself getting very OCD about tires and animals running out and that sort of thing.

Cruising around 100 is fine - cruise control in my XJR - but get well beyond that and I start getting nervous

veni vidi vici

Twice 130 for me too, 66 vette in 1966 at night and I am sure we were overdriving the reach of the headlights on Khrome Ave in Miami, it was literally out in the middle of nowhere west of Miami.
Later in Germany on the Autobahn in a rental Mercedes coupe , smooth quiet and feeling comfortable and in control.
Modern suspensions, engines and soundproofing make a tremendous difference.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I've been over 130 twice - once in my '66 E-Type when I was young and once in my '02 Vette when I was old.

I find when I'm well into triple digit speed that I find myself getting very OCD about tires and animals running out and that sort of thing.

Cruising around 100 is fine - cruise control in my XJR - but get well beyond that and I start getting nervous
Yes, finding perfect conditions to top 150 is rare in my area too. Across the mountains heading to a good Blues Festival takes you through some vast farmlands on either side on a flat top plain for a while, there was fresh pavement. Surprisingly, at 160 there was still a gear to go but I backed off for, as you suggested, the chance of a last moment critter. Backing off to 100, it felt like standing still :)

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
🙄 300 miles on the odometer

lambo9286-58-1.jpeg

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Well the Cartel’s have their Carlos and Charlies , they can build back better as Charlie and Ian’s
I heard the city condemned Charley's and the hotel next to it.

I can hear the realtors years from now talk about how Ian cleaned up the area. That's what one realtor told us Charley did when we were looking for a home here.

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
Oh f', I hope it's not yours?? What is it? Could be dry inside?
Uh no, def not mine. 😄 at 6'5 and 67 I don't think I'm gettin in that thing. Definitely not behind the wheel.

Don't see how it could be dry anywhere.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW

Latest posts