Hurricane Season 2022

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
Hope you're all snugged down. We're getting lotsa rain, water's up a bit and I expect it to go higher; but nothing major.
Yes, good luck there. The tree dance began yesterday, I was surprised how many leaf covered branches were down on the Mt Bike trail I zipped on in the evening. More dancing and drizzle today, gusts so far only low 30's. In the office all day :)

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
I wonder how many Floridians, lined up at the FEMA trailers to sign up for federal assistance are still clinging to that whole smaller/ no federal government and Stites Rahts thing today?
Is 'alle' a badde ansere? They to diffent thinges you talkleng aboute.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Sanibel Causeway before Ian
SanibelCswy_pre.jpg

and after
SanibelCswy_post.jpg

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
Rich people with lots of money building homes/condos in stupid places, this year we had one Condo (Surfside) collapse due to saltwater intrusion in the foundation, so you look at the still standing Condos in Fort Meyers were lucky MAYBE NOT!
Interesting editorial on Florida building, you fill in a swamp to build homes you still have a swamp!

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
As I listen to people talking about their losses I am reminded how we all live with a certain level of denial. I've only been in Florida seven years but I latched on to the denial of others that, "we've never had storm surge here" and of course we never will. Until we do. But we don't talk about that last part. Twice in that seven years forecasts said our house would be underwater. And twice forecasts were wrong. The last time by a hair.

If you live in Florida long enough you will find yourself in a hurricane. And it could be bad. But we don't want to talk about that.

glad you , the house, the shop, boat and neighbors are ok... now if you could whip together a solar/wind powered whole house generator you'd be in good shape.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
I-75 has been shut down, both directions.

SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) - Myakka River under Interstate 75 (I-75) has risen and impacted the interstate, no longer making it safely passable for motorists.

In an abundance of caution, officials closed down I-75 because of water rising from the Myakkahatchee Creek which runs under the interstate. Water has also appeared on a bridge and could effect the structure of it. Structural engineers are currently on site and are monitoring the water levels until it goes down.

I-75 in both directions is now closed from mile marker 179 (North Port / Toledo Blade Blvd) to mile marker 193(Englewood / Jacaranda Blvd). Motorists planning on traveling on I-75 to southwest Florida should seek an alternative route or follow the detours below.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL

SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) - Myakka River under Interstate 75 (I-75) has risen and impacted the interstate, no longer making it safely passable for motorists.

In an abundance of caution, officials closed down I-75 because of water rising from the Myakkahatchee Creek which runs under the interstate. Water has also appeared on a bridge and could effect the structure of it. Structural engineers are currently on site and are monitoring the water levels until it goes down.

I-75 in both directions is now closed from mile marker 179 (North Port / Toledo Blade Blvd) to mile marker 193(Englewood / Jacaranda Blvd). Motorists planning on traveling on I-75 to southwest Florida should seek an alternative route or follow the detours below.
Affect. It's a professional writer and he doesn't know the word is affect.

The people who built the bridge effected its structure, though even that would be a kind of weird way to use effect.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I wonder how many Floridians, lined up at the FEMA trailers to sign up for federal assistance are still clinging to that whole smaller/ no federal government and Stites Rahts thing today?
Do you wonder about those of us who have twice so far had uninsured losses that were eligible and walked away to take care of ourselves? We're OK and won't take any handouts this time around either. Thanks for wondering!

Grabbler

Grabbler
Snapshot from FB post from Randy Wayne White (author)... I'm not wanting to go into the whole "ignoring evacuation order" discussion at this point...but there are consequences...

Screenshot_20221001-050104-115.png

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
My snowbird neighbor called me from Ohio yesterday, wondering if he has a house down here. I went over there to check. It's like we didn't even have a curricane here. His pool screen is completely intact, his roof has all its shingles, his windows and walls of sliders are undamaged. One corner of an outbuilding got hit and torn off and other than that, this is his worst damage:

310295164_10224947296983688_2292058044512845597_n.jpg

Another FB pic. When it goes away, it showed a decorative steel driveway gate with a bent pin. That pin is hollow aluminum. The gates, hinges, and columns are fine.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
The river isn't supposed to crest until later today or Sunday so the interstate will remain closed, I guess.

For non-locals, that's the Myakka River, north of Punta Gorda, that has closed part of I-75, but our I-75 bridge over the Peace River is open. US 41 also has a Myakka River bridge and I haven't heard about it, but my brother used to live where he could see it and his whole neighborhood has got to be under water. If both of those close, the only ways in and out of the real problem areas in Fort Myers involve going way inland. Lots of two lane roads because nobody goes inland. Basically no way those routes can handle anything close to what the interstate and US 41 carry.

Latest posts