Hurricane Season 2022

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
The river isn't supposed to crest until later today or Sunday so the interstate will remain closed, I guess.

For non-locals, that's the Myakka River, north of Punta Gorda, that has closed part of I-75, but our I-75 bridge over the Peace River is open. US 41 also has a Myakka River bridge and I haven't heard about it, but my brother used to live where he could see it and his whole neighborhood has got to be under water. If both of those close, the only ways in and out of the real problem areas in Fort Myers involve going way inland. Lots of two lane roads because nobody goes inland. Basically no way those routes can handle anything close to what the interstate and US 41 carry.
Has there been any talk about the Peace River flooding us out like the Myakka is doing in North Port?

We were planning to head home today but all the usual routes from Tampa are closed. We could go east to 98 and then south but all the I-75 traffic is being routed there and that's gonna be fun. 17 has areas of the road washed out. Arcadia is flooding. Ian's not done with us yet.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
Has there been any talk about the Peace River flooding us out like the Myakka is doing in North Port?

We were planning to head home today but all the usual routes from Tampa are closed. We could go east to 98 and then south but all the I-75 traffic is being routed there and that's gonna be fun. 17 has areas of the road washed out. Arcadia is flooding. Ian's not done with us yet.
Yes… record flood stage for the Peace and Myakka, saw something about a levee possible breach… 3 days before predicted max height, official flood gauge is out

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
While waiting yet another day to return home, a neighbor sent this
Kialoha_001.jpeg

Maybe I need to consider starting a boat covering business. Never did I expect to see the binnacle cover survive this.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
While waiting yet another day to return home, a neighbor sent this
View attachment 544125

Maybe I need to consider starting a boat covering business. Never did I expect to see the binnacle cover survive this.
Looking at the bulkhead and lawn it looks like you were on the flush side of the storm and not the fill … you are indeed very very fortunate!

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Do you wonder about those of us who have twice so far had uninsured losses that were eligible and walked away to take care of ourselves? We're OK and won't take any handouts this time around either. Thanks for wondering!
You do walk the walk and that's worthy of respect. A rare bird.

Assuming you don't have forgiven PPP loans on your books

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Tom;

? was your "mobile chicken coop" outside ?
Sort of. It was in the back of my 40 by 30 Boatport/pole barn. Didn't occur to me to put tie down points in the concrete when I built it but it occurred to me once I was trying to secure my boats. Oh well, they stayed put. The chicken tractor (that's what they call it) was lashed to the brush grapple for my tractor, which weighs quite a bit. There are lots of ways this plan could have gone wrong but none came to pass. Boats and chickens are fine.

I just have to move some branches and I'll be boating again!

310115081_10224947295703656_7691013693087959651_n.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL

I don't think that can happen to you in PGI but I'd think twice about coming home anyway. The inland roads can't handle the traffic they're going to get with 41 and 75 iffy/out.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
I-75 has been shut down, both directions.

SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) - Myakka River under Interstate 75 (I-75) has risen and impacted the interstate, no longer making it safely passable for motorists.

In an abundance of caution, officials closed down I-75 because of water rising from the Myakkahatchee Creek which runs under the interstate. Water has also appeared on a bridge and could effect the structure of it. Structural engineers are currently on site and are monitoring the water levels until it goes down.

I-75 in both directions is now closed from mile marker 179 (North Port / Toledo Blade Blvd) to mile marker 193(Englewood / Jacaranda Blvd). Motorists planning on traveling on I-75 to southwest Florida should seek an alternative route or follow the detours below.
I tourde the Myakka Rivere on fan boate, theire werre tones of gatores. Our they on the Interstatte nowe?