Hurricane Season 2022

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
5E4D25D0-9A7F-49D5-855F-2BDAC8259E34.jpeg

Look due east of the eye for mi boat icon. Yee ha. Guabancex was kind to us.

People, please find an aid organization that you like and give in gratitude.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
FPLRestore.png

I think I might be a 5%-er. I'll be surprised if I actually have power by the 9th. I can't even get to their poles with my tractor yet, and won't be able to by then.

The line from the road goes to us and my neighbor. I've talked to him before about putting it under ground. FPL will put it back above ground. If we want it buried, we have to pay. I'll talk to him about it again but it's sounding pretty good.

FPL's page on Charlotte County says they serve 126,690 and 124,400 were affected. So there are 2,300 who somehow didn't lose power. I wonder how that happens?

Last edited:

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
There's a giant tree blocking access to most of my boats but you're right and I do have the foldable kayak in my avatar pic. Now to find time.
Find the time? It's not like there's anything pressing at the moment. :rolleyes:

FPL's page on Charlotte County says they serve 126,690 and 124,400 were affected. So there are 2,300 who somehow didn't lose power. I wonder how that happens?
They must live next to a sub-station.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
This house is a few doors down from us. The wall that has been exposed by the loss of roof was all glass doors. I don't think any of them were hurricane rated. We're on the same seawall as their northern one.

MikesHouse.jpg

This house is a few doors down the other way
BertsHouse.jpg

Bottom left of the house is a carport, closed on the left side.

Yeah, we were in the Goldilocks spot.

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
Glad to hear y’all ok, Jules and PT.

@Blue Crab
Indeed, not our first time. My MO is to find a tight creek with tall mangrove or if further north, cypress, to block wind.

For anything really strong: try to get away from other boats. Strip canvas and sails. Lay to three anchors. Tie lines from boat to trees, usually one at each corner, setting so as to take load off the anchors.

SALLY, 2020 (Mobile River area)
5BAC9A13-76C1-4E78-8AE8-5B6839917909.jpeg

IRMA, 2017 (Everglades, in the eyewall )

7D418616-7D89-43A3-BC88-5C5DD4959C76.jpeg

Last edited:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
i think Musk is an asshat, but good on him for this. Of course all those satellites will eventually obscure the stars and night sky so also fuck him…

Starlink specs trivia. When I shut down generator power and still want internet, it's the inverter, which has a display showing battery voltage, AC voltage, AC Hz, and watts used. It wakes up using 10 watts, then quickly jumps to 15.

I saw it then go as high as 100 watts. I think it might have been aiming its dish. Once it settles down it continuously uses about 30-40 watts.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
We'll be heading home soon. I plan on taking pictures and posting them but if you don't hear from me for a while, you know why.
I stayed in Atlanta for a week last time I bailed out. No power in NC and too many trees down to get back from airport anyway.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
For anything really strong: try to get away from other boats. Strip canvas and sails. Lay to three anchors. Tie lines from boat to trees, usually one at each corner, setting so as to take load off the anchors.
Yes sir. Last moored and prepped boat was sunk when bigass boat on single anchor and short scope dragged down. Took a couple of others out on its way to final resting point on rock jetty which didn't move. Pretty sure the boat was owned by V3 or some other peckerhead.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
And underground? New subdivisions out west here are all underground
Yes! New standards must be implemented. The gauge of mobile home and home siding and roofing needs to be increased. The stuff is so lightweight that it simply pulls off the fasteners. The flat roofing over WaWa’s et al need to be addressed. It’ll be interesting to see how redevelopment goes. Underground power is a must !