Hurricane Season 2022

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Yes they did. I see the palm fronds pretty much survived which tells me the wind may not have been as intense as to the west. The NW wall of the storm had the highest wind. Either way, I’m impressed with the fact that they made it through.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
Yes they did. I see the palm fronds pretty much survived which tells me the wind may not have been as intense as to the west. The NW wall of the storm had the highest wind. Either way, I’m impressed with the fact that they made it through.
Babcock Ranch is literally in the middle of nowhere and it is not very impressive, hence not many people living there even though central west coast Florida has been boom times in recent years. It’ll be interesting to see if it becomes the next Lakewood Ranch or Leigh Acres .

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Got back a little after 1PM. Outside is a mess. Pool cage is listing and was about 5 minutes from being gone. Uprooted tree pulled up the pool pump and broke underground pipes. Some fascia is gone.

Inside is dry as a bone and about a half hour after we arrived the power went on. But no internet.

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
They are profit driven. Nothing else matters.

Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you, Jules: CCN's agenda driven reportage has lost them millions of viewers and made them the laughingstock of the news industry. Even CNN has recently realized this, as they've been jettisoning or demoting a lot of their most rabid "talent".

BTW: Glad to hear your house came through relatively unscathed. Here on the Spaced Coast, we had only TS strength winds and minimal rain. Didn't stop my heart from jumping in my throat when that bustard zigged right for us about 10 PM... The eye passed about 50 miles away.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Any sneaky lows lurking and working off the coast of Africa to keep an eye on?
There's one brewing off the African coast, but it's predicted to go West then Northwest before the Leeward islands. However on the other side Hurricane Orlene is about to give the SW coast of Mexico a bit of a smacking.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
V3 said: . It’ll be interesting to see if it becomes the next Lakewood Ranch or Leigh Acres .

When I drove through Lehigh Acres last year, it was lightly developed. Nobody wants to move to the West coast of FL without living way too close to the coastline. I’d be fine out there. I could drive 30 minutes to get to
my boat. I could also drive 5 minutes to go air boating redneck style.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Got back a little after 1PM. Outside is a mess. Pool cage is listing and was about 5 minutes from being gone. Uprooted tree pulled up the pool pump and broke underground pipes. Some fascia is gone.

Inside is dry as a bone and about a half hour after we arrived the power went on. But no internet.
Glad to hear good news, especially the power. That is amazing.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Looks like I spoke too soon on the boat. The storm blew all the water out of the canal. When it came back in, a spring line ended up on the inside of a stanchion.

This drew the boat tight to the pilings. Two big fenders popped and the rails started chewing gouges in the pilings.

The midship chock popped off in the process. I hated that thing anyway.

Two stanchions and one lifeline need replacing. And the side of the boat needs some TLC. Still, not much considering what we just went through.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
You can drive right over the ‘gators and turtles down inLehigh County. They actually like it from what our Captain Clem told us while chugging a Bush Light 24 oz hydrator.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
There was a guy from FPL here today talking about getting me hooked up in a couple of weeks. I didn't expect to see them, let alone get power, that soon.
I just got home. Power is on and quarter is still sitting atop the glass of ice in the freezer. All good here, other than some interesting symptoms…. Lets see how tomorrow’s test goes, but suffice to say that when I can travel I have a Yanmar diesel generator that is pretty punchy If you need it. I suspect you already cover that base. lets catch up in the morning and see how things are going.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I just got home. Power is on and quarter is still sitting atop the glass of ice in the freezer. All good here, other than some interesting symptoms…. Lets see how tomorrow’s test goes, but suffice to say that when I can travel I have a Yanmar diesel generator that is pretty punchy If you need it. I suspect you already cover that base. lets catch up in the morning and see how things are going.

That's a very generous offer but I am OK without it. I decided to check and see if my generator (8 kw) would run the AC in the big house. Looked at some stuff scrawled on the air handler and 15 kw jumped out at me. Guess not.

So if that diesel is a 20, I'd want it if this were August. The two remarkable things are: it's in the 60's right now and I need a sweatshirt, not an air conditioner, and that's forecast to continue more or less until the man said we'd get power. He was very careful to actually promise nothing, but I was out on the roads yesterday and electric company vehicles are everywhere. Also, I know other areas were hit very hard and some of this area is messed up, but this is nothing like Charley or Andrew. Most roofs have shingles. Most vinyl siding is still there. More than half of the street signs are still there. Lots of traffic lights are still hanging by wires. All the power poles along the highway out here are leaning, but not down. Those other storms removed almost all shingles and siding and street signs and traffic lights and snapped miles and miles of power poles.

Also, the vast majority of my trees are standing and still have their branches. Still the scale of the branch-clearing problem is pretty epic, but Andrew or Charley would have laid most of them down.