Hurricane Season 2022

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
We bought a tri fuel generator recently and last weekend had a 30amp plug added - NG gives the lowest output at 7k but when the shit hits the fan buying gasoline is a major pita if you can find it. In all the storms I have weathered NG has never gone down. So I hook up the gas line, plug in the generator, kill the main breaker and then select which circuits I want to run. Total $$ so far is under $2k which is a fraction of the whole house kind and has no monthly charges and when we move it goes with us.

Nothing will make me happier than if we did this for nothing, kind of like taking foulies and it doesn't rain.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I was going to buy a snow blower just to make sure we got no blizzards this year, but then I thought I might invest in a grasshopper killing flock of Kestrels..... I think I'm going with Kestrels.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
cbs house is on a ridge with an armored roof doubled over a triple 1/2'' plywood base screwed no nails I tryed for 200mph we may see
Heh. Frame house built in 1931 and moved here in the 1980's with 70's vintage awning windows and a metal roof-over of an asphalt shingle roof. Pretty sure my dad was trying for "waterproof" on the metal roof.

No damage from Charlie. Not because of the great construction but because the tornado went a couple of hundred yards away and mangled my neighbor's house instead and mostly because (this is the big one) nothing hit the house.

Long way of saying that if a tree hits your roof, it's probably going through. I have seen two roofs that looked hurricane proof to me. Both made entirely of reinforced concrete bridge beams stacked side by side. One was undamaged by Andrew, the other undamaged by Charlie.

nota

Anarchist
WANTED TO DO CONCRETE

but it ain't to code and the stuff would have costs more as a one off
plus tests and fees and BS for the code

forgot the 1/2 SS 23k rated cable over the roof to the slab
if the roof flys the house will be still attached and with it

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
If I see any storms passing us here off the west coast of Africa (Dakar/Gambia) I'll let you guys know as this is the area where they seem to start from.

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
WANTED TO DO CONCRETE

but it ain't to code and the stuff would have costs more as a one off
plus tests and fees and BS for the code

forgot the 1/2 SS 23k rated cable over the roof to the slab
if the roof flys the house will be still attached and with it
Some guy did that to a house he built in Mexico Beach. Doubled the cost of construction. The house stood fine but not much you can do about flood waterr. That took out the lower floor. Interesting design concepts though.

Some guy did that to a house he built in Mexico Beach. Doubled the cost of construction. The house stood fine but not much you can do about flood waterr. That took out the lower floor. Interesting design concepts though.

I am familiar with that house but was not involved with its construction. It’s not the most appealing looking beach home but it seemed to have served it’s one purpose.
At the time of Hurricane Michael, we owned 4 houses in the area. Of the four the two that suffered the least amount of wind damage were both constructed in the 1920’s. I had just finished remodeling both of them and had put new Hurricane rated windows and new roofs. But the grace of God the trees missed those houses by mere inches it seemed. The other two were not so fortunate.
I hate hurricanes.

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Well, the Tropics have awakened from their long African dust induced slumber.

1659880042521.png

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
That just rolled over us Friday night/Saturday morning. Rain, lightning and 35 knots of breeze. We are right where the orange X is.
Doooooooood...

That one blew up quickly and continues to grow. I know how grumpy I am when awakened... Might be a short - and rough - hurricane season.

Last edited:
Couple I know bought a nice 48' Cat in FL

They been posting Pix of motoring and hanging out

I asked when they were going to check out the sails

Reply was Sails are Brand New

What could go wrong putting sails up for 1st time when ya need to GTFO for yer life

They have Not sailed any such boat before and are just a couple

Me thinks on a 48' Cat ya need 3-4 couples who are used to sailing such a boat togeather

They WILL be a thread on here

nOObz in a FL Storm trying to hoist sails and figure out what to do for the 1st time sailing it .... ya what could go wrong

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Couple I know bought a nice 48' Cat in FL

They been posting Pix of motoring and hanging out

I asked when they were going to check out the sails

Reply was Sails are Brand New

What could go wrong putting sails up for 1st time when ya need to GTFO for yer life

They have Not sailed any such boat before and are just a couple

Me thinks on a 48' Cat ya need 3-4 couples who are used to sailing such a boat togeather

They WILL be a thread on here

nOObz in a FL Storm trying to hoist sails and figure out what to do for the 1st time sailing it .... ya what could go wrong
You are the village idiot. Two people that know shit is sufficient. More would be those wanting to meet the local ER doctor.