Hurricane Season 2022

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
The chicken tractor (that's what they call it)
Thanks, Tom.

With the trees stripped, I would have expected your chickens to be "Nekkid as a jay-bird".
Glad it worked out.

I thick alligatore Dubarrey Bootes shoude be the nexte sailore craize........ :)
I still want an allogatore rifal case.

? how much longer until pwr is restored everywhere ?
which leads to how ecar owners are coping ,,

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
The predators are coming out in droves.

Catastrophes bring out the best and worst of humanity.
Nothing compared to the real pros that no one will ever see , those experts scamming the electronic $$$$$ aid applications

veni vidi vici

535C52D3-76A4-4AEB-865C-6681EA328DD2.jpeg

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Just talked to a neighbor who tried to leave too late. He ended up seeking shelter in the city parking garage. But he couldn't get in.

THE WEATHER CHANNEL HAD BLOCKED THE ENTRANCE AND TOLD HIM AND SEVERAL OTHER PEOPLE TO FIND SOMEPLACE ELSE TO GO!

Another guy trying to get in told them to move their fucking trucks NOW! And they did.

As a storm veteran that has had multiple homes damaged and destroyed by hurricanes I can say the John Stossel is right with about every point in his video. I never bothered jumping through the FEMA hoops, just dealt with my insurer and the rest was out of pocket.
The Samaritan charities were great and helped many folks I knew with clean up and necessaries.
Those relying on government help seemed to be in a long arduous process.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
how much longer until pwr is restored everywhere
It can't be long. They got us hooked back up yesterday afternoon!

I wasn't watching how they did it. I still can't get my golf cart to the parts of the yard with the poles. it's not that easy on foot. They were working around/over lots of downed branches and trees. I thought they would have to move them out of the way and the first guy a few days ago told me to expect them to take down a couple of trees. They took a couple of smallish branches off those trees. I would have been happy if they took them out entirely because they'll be a threat to the lines again.

I can't believe they have the people and resources to be getting around to individual rural lines so quickly.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
My Sarasota friend announced power back on yesterday. No damage to their modular home purchased moments before that last wobble to get Ft Myers instead.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I went and looked it up again. The circuit breaker design was the issue with those. They had a high failure rate in testing and the production breakers didn't meet UL listing requirements even though they carry the markings. Failed circuit breakers don't trip on overload or fault and can cause fires. There is a lot online about them but here is a quick wiki run down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stab-Lok

I come across their commercial products a lot in my line of work and they used a completely different circuit breaker design in those panels that are interchangeable with other brand circuit breakers. Although a lot of that stuff is getting pretty old and replacement parts are getting harder to find.

Anyway, probably something to consider replacing at some point.
It would be kind of a shame to replace this panel if the breakers are the problem. That cover/door assembly is HEAVY. The whole thing is made of steel that's at least twice as thick as any newer ones I've seen on my other house and our rental homes. Florida makes plastic things crumble and I make thin steel bend, so I'm a fan of things made of thick steel that are Florida and Tom-proof. Er... resistant.

veni vidi vici

After Irma we were with out complete power
for 11 days and I was watching the outage numbers decrease daily. I knew the problem on day one as soon as the sun came up and I could survey the property. One of the power line legs had pulled out of the clamp. I tried to be patient as I knew the scale of the outage. The computer system showed power to our property when I finally spoke with someone on day 11 , at that point there were less than 100 outages . I told the woman I was speaking to that” if I had a ladder I could fix it myself with a pair of vise grips, lol , that got her attention and she said oh no ! Don’t do that! Less than 30 minutes later 3 trucks rolled up, I pointed out the problem and it took them longer setting up the bucket truck than it did to fix the problem, smiles all around. 😀

After Irma we were with out complete power
for 11 days and I was watching the outage numbers decrease daily. I knew the problem on day one as soon as the sun came up and I could survey the property. One of the power line legs had pulled out of the clamp. I tried to be patient as I knew the scale of the outage. The computer system showed power to our property when I finally spoke with someone on day 11 , at that point there were less than 100 outages . I told the woman I was speaking to that” if I had a ladder I could fix it myself with a pair of vise grips, lol , that got her attention and she said oh no ! Don’t do that! Less than 30 minutes later 3 trucks rolled up, I pointed out the problem and it took them longer setting up the bucket truck than it did to fix the problem, smiles all around. 😀
My issue after Hurricane Michael was the power mast was bent on all 4 properties that I owned. In order for the power company to restore power I had to pull permits for a new power pole/ meter panel. Then I had to hire an electrical contractor who then had to find the new power mast as they were in very high demand. It cost me about $1500 per house to get power back. We were 36 days without power at the house we resided in. My rental house was 28 days so I supplied my tenets with a generator and fuel. Made me appreciate underground utilities.
Fun stuff those hurricanes.

veni vidi vici

My issue after Hurricane Michael was the power mast was bent on all 4 properties that I owned. In order for the power company to restore power I had to pull permits for a new power pole/ meter panel. Then I had to hire an electrical contractor who then had to find the new power mast as they were in very high demand. It cost me about $1500 per house to get power back. We were 36 days without power at the house we resided in. My rental house was 28 days so I supplied my tenets with a generator and fuel. Made me appreciate underground utilities.
Fun stuff those hurricanes.
How has the prime location areas recovered?
Owner rebuild?
Sold and rebuild ?
Abandoned unsold ?
It’ll be interesting to see how FMB goes, I feel terrible for that area and those that lost everything, I never liked FMB and that goes back to early 70’s
The lush tropical foliage in all the storm surge eye wall areas will not come back. Mangroves if deleafed will die

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
It would be kind of a shame to replace this panel if the breakers are the problem. That cover/door assembly is HEAVY. The whole thing is made of steel that's at least twice as thick as any newer ones I've seen on my other house and our rental homes. Florida makes plastic things crumble and I make thin steel bend, so I'm a fan of things made of thick steel that are Florida and Tom-proof. Er... resistant.
It's not the thickness of the enclosure that makes the panelboard Tom proof. Unless you're prone to taking a hammer to it.

I've worked on a lot of Federal Pacific panelboards and they did the job. Of the ones I replaced, most were due to problems getting new breakers. While I heard from others in my local about occasional problems, I never personally encountered any.

If you want to replace it, let me know and I'll come over and take a look at it.

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
I get it. I hate replacing stuff that otherwise seems fine. I just figured I'd mention it so you are aware.