Hurricane Season 2022

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
I've worked on a lot of Federal Pacific panelboards and they did the job. Of the ones I replaced, most were due to problems getting new breakers. While I heard from others in my local about occasional problems, I never personally encountered any.
I think you would never know you had a problem, they are just sitting there appearing just fine. You can cycle the handle when you need to and life is good. The problem is when they need to trip, they don't, and you end up with a fire.

Also, Federal Pacific made a lot of panelboards that weren't this Stab-Lock style and used a more universal bus and breaker design that probably never really had any issues. I come across those all the time around here and while those are 30+ years old now, you can still get new circuit breakers for them made by one of the big companies that are still around.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
I was checking out at Publix today, a large grocery chain in the SE . They had a stack of Bogo canned food that the cashier could scan along with your stuff and the canned food went directly into another shopping cart and would be distributed to hurricane relief centers. That was a nice visual and feeling.

Max Rockatansky

DILLIGAF?
. Made me appreciate underground utilities.
Fun stuff those hurricanes.
FWIW, KATRINA’s 20-odd feet at my house soaked the ground to the point where a few months later I had a brownout when I lost one of the legs. Then the poor sod from the electric company digging to fix it, hit the bad spot and got shocked. Lucky for him not too badly. The salt water had percolated down and corroded the wire

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
Wire leader?
No problem!

6CF9EB49-E251-45EE-91CC-1A33AB2EB226.jpeg

dyslexic dog

Super Anarchist
Michigan
It's not the thickness of the enclosure that makes the panelboard Tom proof. Unless you're prone to taking a hammer to it.

I've worked on a lot of Federal Pacific panelboards and they did the job. Of the ones I replaced, most were due to problems getting new breakers. While I heard from others in my local about occasional problems, I never personally encountered any.

If you want to replace it, let me know and I'll come over and take a look at it.
If you like a breaker that won’t trip under load, use a fed pacific. I had a 100a main trip before the 20a on a panel. The buss bar tended to melt and warp too.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
P

the fact that your two pole 50 amp breakers are still on and you jumped both legs with a #12 wire makes me know you have little idea of what you are doing. Send a bill to your insurance when all the electronics connected to your ac or stove are ruined eh? Or a fire ruins the panel. That and it’s a federal pacific panel that has been recalled. Wtf? Get someone who knows something to fix it. Seriously. Did you even turn the main off?

Or
If you like a breaker that won’t trip under load, use a fed pacific. I had a 100a main trip before the 20a on a panel. The buss bar tended to melt and warp too.
So now you've realized that you were wrong, the panel you said has been recalled has not, and you've realized that the breakers were a problem so are changing the story line?

Have you figured out yet that when you can see the word "OFF" on a breaker it means the breaker is switched off?

FWIW, KATRINA’s 20-odd feet at my house soaked the ground to the point where a few months later I had a brownout when I lost one of the legs. Then the poor sod from the electric company digging to fix it, hit the bad spot and got shocked. Lucky for him not too badly. The salt water had percolated down and corroded the wire
I’m shocked (pun intended) they didn’t bury it in conduit.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
It's been over 20 years since I last worked on a FP panelboard. Back then most who were familiar with them said they were crap. I don't recall anyone, and we're talking electricians here, say the breakers won't trip. I would have remembered that because that's a huge problem.

When I was working on the APS at Argonne Labs, we had a situation where a 2000A cooling tower overloaded and tripped at the 112kV level and shut down the whole site. In certain situations an overload can jump like that.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I can't believe they have the people and resources to be getting around to individual rural lines so quickly.
There was a video posted on a friend’s Facebook page showing a convoy of out of state bucket trucks/linemen rolling into Florida. I tried counting, but gave up after it got over 300! And that was just one convoy.

dyslexic dog

Super Anarchist
Michigan
Or

So now you've realized that you were wrong, the panel you said has been recalled has not, and you've realized that the breakers were a problem so are changing the story line?

Have you figured out yet that when you can see the word "OFF" on a breaker it means the breaker is switched off?
Dude, yep after 45 years in the business, I forgot that fp turned on backwards from all others. And they had an issue with the breakers mostly but they overheated the buss bar.
It's been over 20 years since I last worked on a FP panelboard. Back then most who were familiar with them said they were crap. I don't recall anyone, and we're talking electricians here, say the breakers won't trip. I would have remembered that because that's a huge problem.

When I was working on the APS at Argonne Labs, we had a situation where a 2000A cooling tower overloaded and tripped at the 112kV level and shut down the whole site. In certain situations an overload can jump like that.
Jules, inrush current, rms , 12470v been there, done that. The stabs were recalled for failure to trip.

Latest posts