Hurricane Season 2022

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
The architect says, “We have to build our houses to appreciate not only our amazing weather, but the days in between that can be pretty brutal: the heat, the rains, the hurricanes."

"Days in between?" The heat lasts for 6 months, and increasing, with no break. Rains are almost daily in the summer. In the summer, there is no "in between."

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Speaking of which, what's up with the black trucks?

They're everywhere. Big, black trucks with a black crane and a black trailer. They're going around picking up all the giant piles of branches. The weird thing is, there's nothing printed on them at all. No logos of any kind, can't even tell what kind of trucks they are.

It's like a secret black helicopter outfit, but with branch removal. I don't even know if they're private or government. Either way, people love to see those piles go away. I'd want my logo on the trucks, whether a company or an agency of government.

At the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, why do we have these black trucks running around?
The Men in Black Trucks cleaned up our neighborhood after Ian. We were told they were subcontractors working for the Waste Management company. Funny thing, they did an excellent job, cleaning up all of the piles of yard waste, doing a far better job than Waste Mgmt ever dreamt of.

Of course, maybe the ground had to be completely cleared when they planted the sensors for the black helicopters. 🙄😝

Last edited:
Click on the link. She says what she does is different from how stilt houses are built.
Ahhh didnt realize there was a hidden link. Duh….

“The foundations are stronger than normal,” she says. “Typical stilt houses are built with their pilings driven into the earth but are long enough to cantilever out of the ground so the house can be constructed on top of these pilings. But our houses don’t have that; we put our pilings under the ground and we connect them together with poured concrete beams — all below the ground. That’s what creates a more solid foundation.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
They're still working on picking up debris and branches. So what does Florida Man do?

Place his pile illegally close to a fire hydrant and then decorate it with holiday lights, of course.

FLManTrashPile.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
@Pertinacious Tom, not sure if you already mentioned it - did the trail cam survive?
Yes it was fine. I was hoping it captured something dramatic during the storm but it just looked like an ordinary rainstorm. Got some pics of piggies tearing up the yard but they seem to have moved on, possibly related to my telling the neighbor boys they were around.

Best pic lately is in the Trail Cam thread. My doggy! You can see some broken trees in the background.

StarrGameCam.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Before Ian approached, one of my high and rising priorities was the fact that my fishing boat hadn't been run in a month. I don't trust boats that didn't run in the last month. That's it on the right with the trolling motor.

OakBlksBoats.jpg

That tree fell the other direction in Charley but the base splintered this time and we won't be standing it back up again.

GeneChopsOak.jpg

That's Gene. After Andrew, he drove from Fort Liquordale every day with a cooler of ice to my house in S. Dade. I have pictures of him cutting up this tree after Charley. And here he is again, just dropping by on his way back from helping his friend down in Naples, who was hit hard. Everyone should have a Gene.

Yesterday I cut that branch at the top of the picture and removed it and all the ones on the ground, so now I can get my boat out.

I finally cut all the big pieces off and got that big oak down to the trunk and was able to push that around with the tractor enough that I can now get my pontoon boat out. One step at a time...

BigOakTrunk.jpg

Wondering if a chainsaw sculptor or someone might want that intact and be able to move it? I don't have a saw big enough to cut it up. That's the swamp in the background and I might just shove it down onto the wet ground to rot.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
I finally cut all the big pieces off and got that big oak down to the trunk and was able to push that around with the tractor enough that I can now get my pontoon boat out. One step at a time...

BigOakTrunk.jpg

Wondering if a chainsaw sculptor or someone might want that intact and be able to move it? I don't have a saw big enough to cut it up. That's the swamp in the background and I might just shove it down onto the wet ground to rot.
Can you burn on your property?

Latest posts