Hydroptere Pitchpoles

nq66

If you look on the STB side you can see the boom sticking out pointing to the foil and if you look under the name it looks like a broken mast but i could be wrong.I hope they can fix the problem they see them selfs in and get the record.PS is there any vid of the crash?

Lazy Guy

Super Anarchist
The other day I was behind a guy whose license plate # was 40 KSB. I had to laugh. It was an old beater Ford Explorer.

But an actual 60 knot shit box is fucking amazing!

OceanBien

Super Anarchist
Here is the latest video from l’Hydroptère website on 21 Decembre showing the aftermath with some explanation from Alain Thébault.

They're probably busy negotiating the selling price of the video to the French media.

I'm sure the video is "très extraordinaire".

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark K

Super Anarchist
Here is the latest video from l’Hydroptère website on 21 Decembre showing the aftermath with some explanation from Alain Thébault.They're probably busy negotiating the selling price of the video to the French media.

Jeebus Christ, but that boat rips.

Anybody around here speak french?

Pretty impressive they hit 61 knots, the pitch pole would have been a pretty spectacular sight.

Hope they get back on the water sooner rather than later, Maquarie Inovation took the class c record back from them this weekend!

sailquik

Extremely impressive to be sure, whatever the true speed, but lets just take those claims of 55 and 60 knots with a large pinch of salt until there is some credible confirmation. A GPS Doppler log print out would be good for a start!

BalticBandit

Super Anarchist
Here is the latest video from l’Hydroptère website on 21 Decembre showing the aftermath with some explanation from Alain Thébault.They're probably busy negotiating the selling price of the video to the French media.

What struck me was the wierd motion of the boat, kind of a periodic irregular jink to leeward and downwards...

tin man

Super Anarchist
I'm calling BS on 61 kts. maybe 61 kilometers. All the boats I know off that'll do those kind of speeds only have the tips of the props in the water. From the looks of those foils there's way to much wetted surface.

ss

PaulK

Super Anarchist

The skipper is talking about hitting 100 km/hr before they flipped. He looks pretty happy for a guy who's been swimming in the Med in December. Note crash helmet -- a good idea. They've been hitting in the mid 40's and were out looking for more wind today.

PaulK

Super Anarchist
I'm calling BS on 61 kts. maybe 61 kilometers. All the boats I know off that'll do those kind of speeds only have the tips of the props in the water. From the looks of those foils there's way to much wetted surface. ss
If you look carefully at the video, you'll see that only the tips of the foils are in the water. These guys likely have at least three GPS units on board relaying info to shore base at the same time. That would enable them to determine height above the water and therefore heel angle as windspeed and apparent wind angles change. These guys are not messing around. They've had crashes before and keep coming back with better equipment.

Mark K

Super Anarchist

The skipper is talking about hitting 100 km/hr before they flipped. He looks pretty happy for a guy who's been swimming in the Med in December. Note crash helmet -- a good idea. They've been hitting in the mid 40's and were out looking for more wind today.

He didn't describe how the flip went down? Oh well, I'm sure they will

get around to that eventually. I suppose we gotta give the guy a chance to change

his shorts first.

2slow

Super Anarchist
Georgia
I'm calling BS on 61 kts. maybe 61 kilometers. All the boats I know off that'll do those kind of speeds only have the tips of the props in the water. From the looks of those foils there's way to much wetted surface. ss
How many boats do you know of that will do 61 knots? Shit, how many boats do you know of that will do 45 knots? ;)

sailquik

If you look carefully at the video, you'll see that only the tips of the foils are in the water. These guys likely have at least three GPS units on board relaying info to shore base at the same time. That would enable them to determine height above the water and therefore heel angle as windspeed and apparent wind angles change. These guys are not messing around. They've had crashes before and keep coming back with better equipment.
Where do you get 3 GPS from? They probably only have one Trimble (quite expensive) for the official time keeping and that is useless for peak speeds. If they had even a lowly consumer GPS on board with the ability to save the SOG (Doppler derived speed) that would give credability to their words. If so, let's see it!

dugyfresh

PNW, USA
How many boats do you know of that will do 61 knots? Shit, how many boats do you know of that will do 45 knots? ;)
thats not only fast for a sail boat, its just plain fast.

personally, regardless of what ISAF and the windsurfers say... the first sailboat to break the records will be Hydroptere.

i wanna see um beef up the boat a bit and race the thing.... ohhhh perhaps a race with BMWO tri...

but first they need to rebuild the boat, anyone know what kind of modifications, if any will result from this crash?

since no one got hurt its not a tragedy, its a buying opportunity.

~Play~

Last edited by a moderator: