Hydroptere record

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
Hydroptere just set a record of 50.17 knots over a nautical mile hydro_Pleine_vitesse___Photo_Guilain_Grenier.jpg

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
It was only last month when reading Seahorse (Nov issue) that I realised the project was co-founded by Eric Tarbarly back in the early 80's - more than 25 years in the making.

Congratulations - a working lifetimes achievement

Death Roll

Super Anarchist
Why don't they have a shorter mast for record attempts? An extra 15 feet of windage at 55 mph is pretty significant.

Americas Cup????????????????????
Dont think this baby can do more than sail fast in a straight line.

But on the topic. Are there foil restrictions on the new AC multi's?

edit:

@ death roll, had the same idea, they only go for records in big breeze, so why bother with the full sail at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

bluelaser2

CLE
Americas Cup????????????????????
Dont think this baby can do more than sail fast in a straight line.

But on the topic. Are there foil restrictions on the new AC multi's?

edit:

@ death roll, had the same idea, they only go for records in big breeze, so why bother with the full sail at all?

They need X power from the rig and in lighter windspeeds they get that with more area. I dont think they need much more than 20-25 kts. for max power- where does big breeze start ? About 29 kts I'd say.

The forestay tension @ 65+ kts AWS is impressive as is the aero shaping of the structural elements of the whole boat/aircraft. I also like the slight skew of the steering wheels- kind of a built in vector resolver thru the butt cheeks.

Lost in Translation

Super Anarchist
Atlanta, GA
Very cool to see this boat cross the threshold. I like that it is a real boat in real ocean conditions. And it is amazing that its done with a reef in the main when other attempts are so low drag.

bad dawg

anacortes
Danm good Job

A 18 meter BOAT in 28 knots doing 50 knots with 11 bodies on board, can tack back and forth and lives in the water..

Works for me..

So it has a little stick showing at 30k in 15k with a full main you still could I figure go.....25-35and tack back and forth.

Beats the furk out of the sail rocket and other teams with what you would call a general purpose boat??? has to run along a leeward flat shore where there is no wave action driven by one person on a singel tack design.

I'd crew for the tri.. Oh of course it has crew..

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
It was only last month when reading Seahorse (Nov issue) that I realised the project was co-founded by Eric Tarbarly back in the early 80's - more than 25 years in the making.
Congratulations - a working lifetimes achievement
so.. essentially 2kts/year in boatspeed... hmm... imagine the project in 2015 ;)