I broke my prod

So... Viper 640 prod, about 2.25 inch diameter, it is about 2" shorter now.. there isn't any bending load on the end, it just has to hold the bushings for the tack line/bobstay thingummies.. Is there a cool little carbon repair kit out there?..

Thanks,

Mark

dinghysailor

NH
buy a piece of tubing that fits inside it, glue it in so the overall length is correct, grind a taper into the old material and then over wrap it to get it back to the correct diameter.

CAsailor

CA
There isn't a carbon repair kit. If you show us a good picture, we might be able to help you. Are you trying to reinforce the new tip, or extend the prod back to original length? If the bobstay is tight there won't be any bending, but there will be compression lengthwise in the tube ( ie tip to bow).

Broke your prod - damn, that's gotta hurt.

My bad - your boats prod.

Well, they both can break from the same causes:

- running downhill excitedly and tripping over, or inappropriate over-use :(

Last edited by a moderator:

evsjo

You'e probably going to have to buy a new sprit... theres plenty of places that sell 2 1/4 in carbon tube, look at forte and cst.

How'd you break it anyways?

jcmelino

Likely the same way I once did -- got ahead of the game at the top mark . . . speared the closest competitor!
ph34r.gif
We were lucky, one of the crew [a competing skipper] had brought his along as a "spare."

Off we went!! did our turns, the guys rigged the new pole, and we still got to the bottom mark before the guy we hit! He spent too much time looking for the damage. He couldn't find any . . .
rolleyes.gif

Sometimes you are damned lucky!

Latest posts