I guess it's MAGA now

Nice!

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
It's come down to democracy vs authoritarianism. This was inevitable following the GOPs adoption of Trump populism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Special awareness should be on USSC's Thomas who's doing what he can in a very scary way: 

"To his credit, Thomas does not pretend to believe in stare decisis, or respect for precedent. He thinks the court should overturn precedent, like Bolling, any time a majority concludes it was “demonstrably erroneous.” The deceptive allure to this simplistic solution conceals the fact that it’s a recipe for chaos, as well as an abrupt contraction of rights that most of us have come to take for granted." Chaos Theory

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Special awareness should be on USSC's Thomas who's doing what he can in a very scary way: 

"To his credit, Thomas does not pretend to believe in stare decisis, or respect for precedent. He thinks the court should overturn precedent, like Bolling, any time a majority concludes it was “demonstrably erroneous.” The deceptive allure to this simplistic solution conceals the fact that it’s a recipe for chaos, as well as an abrupt contraction of rights that most of us have come to take for granted." Chaos Theory
A contrary example that isn’t any better.    https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/politics/puerto-rico-supreme-court-federal-disability-benefits/index.html
Puerto Rican’s aren’t real Americans, because.,,, precedent.   

The case involved Jose Luis Vaello-Madero, who was born in Puerto Rico in 1954 but lived in New York from 1985 to 2013. In 2012, he was found eligible after a stroke to receive the disability payments, which were deposited directly into his checking account. 
After moving back to Puerto Rico in 2013, Vaello-Madero continued to accept the payments until the government was made aware that he was now living outside the 50 states. He was told that his benefits would be discontinued and that he owed the government $28,081 in back pay. His lawyers later sued, arguing that the exclusion of Puerto Rican residents violated the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution's 14th Amendment.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Didn't I just hear this week that aside from justice Sotomayor, the SC decided against Puertoricans receiving ss and ssdi payments, even if they paid into the system?

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!

To be fair, if stare decisis was rigid we would still have Dred Scott ;)

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
The much bigger issue is the Supreme Court has a role it was never meant to have and is now stuffed with fascist hacks and drunks.

if anyplace ever needed term limits, it is the SC.

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
It's come down to democracy vs authoritarianism. This was inevitable following the GOPs adoption of Trump populism.
I think of it as liberalism vs anti-liberalism. I don't think the MAGAs are particularly authoritarian. They're just ok with authoritarians. What they really want is to own liberals. I don't think they could write down a cohesive set of principles they were actually in favor. They're just against. Nice thing about being against is never being wrong.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
In the post above… what is “liberalism?”

it seems the author is using the FAUX News definition:

Liberal is a euphemism to be used when describing a person who disagrees with ANYTHING said on FAUX , AM talk radio, the American Family Association Network, or whatever was most recently uttered by Gropenfuhrer 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I think of it as liberalism vs anti-liberalism. I don't think the MAGAs are particularly authoritarian. They're just ok with authoritarians. What they really want is to own liberals. I don't think they could write down a cohesive set of principles they were actually in favor. They're just against. Nice thing about being against is never being wrong.
Nope - they want authoritarian leadership that will put even ignorant low rent white people (like them) on top.

Just like LBJ said.

imagen-287.png

They know that right wing authoritarians are the only ones who will do it for them.

It really is that simple.

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
Nope.  The official policy platform of the RNC is "what ever Trump wants".  It doesn't matter if that changes by the minute.  It is a fucked up platform, for fucked up people.

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Nope.  The official policy platform of the RNC is "what ever Trump wants".  It doesn't matter if that changes by the minute.  It is a fucked up platform, for fucked up people.
Sure, they have a personality cult now. Soon enough we'll have a deafening Trump who? At that point he'll become a DemocRAT. They'll change by the minute. Remember, the Trumpers, Benghazists, the Ronulans and the Birthers are all the exact same people.

Nice!

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
The next two elections are 100% a vote between democracy and authoritarianism.