Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
This was the alternative.

simpsons boat.jpg

PurpleOnion

Anarchist
New York, NY
Back in the days of floppy drives, there was a program called jive.exe that made it's way around. It translated text into jive speak (or at least the creator's idea of jive speak). I'm hoping that somebody with more free time and ambition than me, can find the original code and convert it to Snagglese or create a new one. The text below is a translation of Ed's erudite prose from the FP by this site that seems to have copied the original jive program.  https://funtranslations.com/jive

Some elecshuns most certainly wuz not stolen and puh'haps some wuz. What it is, Mama. Right On! De incumbent Wo'ld Sailin', Kim Andersen wuz accused uh some numba' uh edical breaches durin' de run-waaay down t'last year’s Wo'd Sailin' Presidential elecshuns which impacted his campaign t'serve some second term. 'S coo', bro. Sheeit, de jury be now back in. 'S coo', bro. No comment – eyeball fo' yo'self. What it is, Mama. Right On! Pretty alleyetic dat some knode WS ass-kissa' had his daddy’s newsletta' quoted… I wonda' how de elecshun winna' be gettin' on wid deliverin' on his elecshun promises uh brin'in' huge sponso'ship deals t'de Wo'ld Sailin' table??   

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
I love bad sailing artwork.  Something to look at and ponder how other brains malfunction when when they attempt to translate something they saw first hand or in a photo, into what they think they saw.  It says much about how poor everyone's memory truly is.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
No,  bad sailing art is one of the constants in life - precious few artists understand what it IS that they are looking at,  in regards to boats under sail and then they "Artistic Interpretation" the parts that they don't get,  which is most of it.

Seriously,  there's Jim DeWitt and Phil Uhl,  and darn-few others that don't just make a complete and total hash out of any spread of canvas - a long-held pet peeve of mine. 

G

Wow, that is bad as a standalone, but wait, there's more:

Bonus points for the fact that this is the cover of the 2020 official annual report of the US sailing body.

It is a pretty good example how far sport apparatchiks can be estranged from the sport they pretend to serve. 

US of A - explains a lot...
Mate, its US and A

Veryy nice

G

Look what I stumbled upon. This is a thing, apparently.

that friends is a stepped tacking demountable hydrofoil currently deployed at the bow to provide vital lift for a port start in the Tuesday ladies race

G

My dude.  

I raced bikes for a decade or so, promoted races amateur and pro (well, pro-am, there's no pro races but for the amateur cash cow).  While the race officials (commisaires) were beyond outstanding, USA Cycling was a horror show.  They couldn't effectively address doping, membership prices (and race sanctioning prices) (theoretically for rider insurance but largely for a few badly run national programs) kept shooting up, they tried and nearly killed off mountain biking, they ignore trackies... Gack!

I did that after playing rugby for 20 years, including playing at a pretty solid level overseas.  Rugby in the US at the top level appears to be getting worse, based on the >100 point shellacking the All Blacks gave the US  national team a couple weeks ago, and its recent losses to non-powerhouse meso-American teams.  Participation is up, athleticism of the players is up, there's more money to be had... the quality at the top is down.  US Rugby has been incompetently managed since I started playing in the mid-80's.  They harvested cash, hassled players, made it tough on club administrators, and went bankrupt last summer.  So much winning I'm sick of it. 

Aaaaaaaaaaand now I race sailboats.  FML.  

I need to take up another sport that's badly run before I wear out my welcome here... anybody got any ideas?   
Gymnastics?

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
My dude.  

I raced bikes for a decade or so, promoted races amateur and pro (well, pro-am, there's no pro races but for the amateur cash cow).  While the race officials (commisaires) were beyond outstanding, USA Cycling was a horror show.  They couldn't effectively address doping, membership prices (and race sanctioning prices) (theoretically for rider insurance but largely for a few badly run national programs) kept shooting up, they tried and nearly killed off mountain biking, they ignore trackies... Gack!

I did that after playing rugby for 20 years, including playing at a pretty solid level overseas.  Rugby in the US at the top level appears to be getting worse, based on the >100 point shellacking the All Blacks gave the US  national team a couple weeks ago, and its recent losses to non-powerhouse meso-American teams.  Participation is up, athleticism of the players is up, there's more money to be had... the quality at the top is down.  US Rugby has been incompetently managed since I started playing in the mid-80's.  They harvested cash, hassled players, made it tough on club administrators, and went bankrupt last summer.  So much winning I'm sick of it. 

Aaaaaaaaaaand now I race sailboats.  FML.  

I need to take up another sport that's badly run before I wear out my welcome here... anybody got any ideas?   
Waterskiing.  They had thousand’s lining the banks at the pro tours.  (Been part of that crowd). Within a couple of years it went from couldn’t find a place to park at the tournaments to couldn’t find a tournament to watch.  USA waterskiing catered to its few Ultra Elite skiers (who coincidentally were not the top skiers in the pro tour but second tier skiers who  USA waterskiing seemed to be enamored with).  

It was all about “we got to get in the olympics, we got to get in the olympics, we got to get our super elites in the olympics.  Unfortunately, if you forget the base, make it all but impossible to ever qualify for anything other than a few Class “C” tournaments keeping the organization going gets kind hard, And for the skiers involved, its gets kind of old to sit back and watch the same five or so “elite” skiers get all the glory, all the gold and all the attention.  Especially when people like Wade Cox, Kristi Overton, Deena Mapple and Freddy Krueger all world record holders, master’s tournament winners and Pro Tour Champions are ignored because they are not three event skiers.  

Things may have changed but the days of thousands lining the banks at places like Champion Lake at Shreveport are long gone.  

Yes, that’s his real name Fredrick August Krueger Jr.  Still current world record holder in ski jumping at no less than 42 years of age and still winning tournaments, truly to the skiing world “the Nightmare of Elm Street. 

0603F07D-E320-4296-82BB-B2361DCA2D58.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: