I may have found RBooze!

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Uncooperative Arizonans

Apparently, they really don't care much for radar speed trap cameras with automated billing. They toss them in ditches, spray them will Silly String, and do other funny things.

This was my fav:

One particularly creative scofflaw took to driving around the Phoenix area wearing monkey and giraffe masks. As it turned out, Arizona law requires that tickets be connected to drivers, not just vehicles. Few wildlife photos appear in the Department of Motor Vehicles database, complicating the process of serving the "offending" motorist within the required 90 days. State officials responded with a surveillance operation to identify the dissident; this project almost certainly cost more than they finally extracted.
Uncooperative people who actually read laws are funny. Guns.

mikewof

mikewof
Boothy is in SoCal working on his boat, the guy in the monkey suit must be some other Anarchist.

Last edited by a moderator:

jocal505

moderate, informed gunowner
Seattle, Wa
Uncooperative Arizonans

Apparently, they really don't care much for radar speed trap cameras with automated billing. They toss them in ditches, spray them will Silly String, and do other funny things.

This was my fav:

One particularly creative scofflaw took to driving around the Phoenix area wearing monkey and giraffe masks. As it turned out, Arizona law requires that tickets be connected to drivers, not just vehicles. Few wildlife photos appear in the Department of Motor Vehicles database, complicating the process of serving the "offending" motorist within the required 90 days. State officials responded with a surveillance operation to identify the dissident; this project almost certainly cost more than they finally extracted.
Uncooperative people who actually read laws are funny. Guns.
Uncooperative people are counter-productive. They are a pain, an oozing wound which was self-inflicted.

Their loud cynicism generates the rotten fabric of poor citizenship.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
Mike, are you in touch with El Mariachi?

What about his new 1700sf dwelling in AZ, near the border?
Missed SoCal too much. He is back, enjoying life and not thinking about PA. You can find him on Facebook if you want to get in touch.

mikewof

mikewof

I didn't ask him about that. He was restoring an Islander Peterson in SoCal last communication, I assume he got it for a song. It had a frozen VW Pathfinder, he rebuilt that, refinished and refit it, the photos I saw were gorgeous. If he sells her now for even $80k, whomever gets it will feel very fortunate I think.

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
RBooze is alive and well and on FB and playing with an old Jeep in the past few weeks.

I just brought him up because he's the kind of person who would wear a mask like the guy in the story did. I think it's funny.

As for the thread topic, I think automated speed cameras out in empty desert can have only one purpose: extracting revenue. It's not about the safety of other drivers when you can look to the horizon without seeing one.

As for the topic that Jocal and Sloop can't leave alone... Guns.

jocal505

Seattle, Wa
1.Breaking the law in an open expanse of desert is still breaking the law. Even if you're Libertarian. Even if you're Bret Fuckin' Favre.

2.Go ahead and introduce some mysterious subject you won't drone about interminably. That works for us.

jocal505

Seattle, Wa

I didn't ask him about that. He was restoring an Islander Peterson in SoCal last communication, I assume he got it for a song. It had a frozen VW Pathfinder, he rebuilt that, refinished and refit it, the photos I saw were gorgeous. If he sells her now for even $80k, whomever gets it will feel very fortunate I think.
Boothy is a BN now?

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
1.Breaking the law in an open expanse of desert is still breaking the law....
Yes it is. It is just not endangering anyone else, which is the purpose of the law.

I got a 1986 Toyota van up to 106 in the Utah desert one day. My passengers made me slow down. What are you supposed to do when you're tired, you get to the top of a little rise, and you see straight, open road with nobody on it to the horizon? Go 55? Yeah, that's what you were supposed to do back then (thanks, Liz Dole).

Never cared much for the song but the message is spot on...

mikewof

mikewof
1.Breaking the law in an open expanse of desert is still breaking the law....
Yes it is. It is just not endangering anyone else, which is the purpose of the law.

I got a 1986 Toyota van up to 106 in the Utah desert one day. My passengers made me slow down. What are you supposed to do when you're tired, you get to the top of a little rise, and you see straight, open road with nobody on it to the horizon? Go 55? Yeah, that's what you were supposed to do back then (thanks, Liz Dole).

Never cared much for the song but the message is spot on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k
Tom, catching speeders in the desert isn't just a revenue generator. Those highways are often undivided two lanes, the speeders friggen love them because they can open up their machines. The accidents from both single vehicle and head on are infamous, especially in rough bits where fast vehicles suddenly destabilize.

They used to use little Cessnas to do speed patrols, which was fairly affordable, but nowhere near as affordable as those speed cameras. I've no doubt that they make money, but they are a continuation of what has been done since the 1970s.

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Yeah, in Utah I got in the habit of just driving down the middle of the road. That's where the black stripe was so I was far from alone. Not much point staying to one side when it's 20 minutes until you see another car. Guns.

jocal505

Seattle, Wa
I drove across Montana not long ago. The semi's were going 85 and 90.

There was just no comprehension of speed cops whatsoever.

The signs at the 6400 ft Continental divide, a hairy ski area, said danger, cliffs, ice, no shoulder, 70MPH.

I still remember a hot summer night, 1am, doing 105 MPH across WA farm roads on a one-lung dirt bike.

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
I drove across Montana not long ago. The semi's were going 85 and 90.

There was just no comprehension of speed cops whatsoever.

The signs at the 6400 ft Continental divide, a hairy ski area, said danger, cliffs, ice, no shoulder, 70MPH.

I still remember a hot summer night, 1am, doing 105 MPH across WA farm roads on a one-lung dirt bike.
What kind of single cylinder dirt bike were you on that would run over 100MPH??