I need a new drug

Thorvald

Puget Sound
I can't help myself. I gotta have another boat! Ever since I took my old Garden yawl out of the water I've had a few other boats just to play with while I work on the yawl. Doesn't make the work on the yawl go any faster but it has been a good education, just to experience sailing different types of boats. My latest is a US 30, which is basically a Peterson IOR type half tonner with a different deck/cabin on it to give it a little more room below and make it appeal to the masses. Good sailing boat, but now a friend and regular crew member wants me to go in on a Dash 34 with him and another friend. Went for a sail yesterday and I'm pretty much hooked. Such a sweet sailing boat. Small handy headsails, large main, fractional rig, great seating for the helmsman (helmsperson?), well outboard so one can see the sails, and pretty darn fast. Head ,stove, sink, yep it's a cruiser, a Salish Sea racer and summer cruiser.

Still I will get the yawl done and back in the water, but til then there's all those great boats to sail. I know I'm not the only one. I'm sure Kimb and Bob and WHL know what I'm talking about. The Admiral is skeptical but isn't saying no. I'd sell the US 30 soon but she wants to wait. We'll own the Dash jointly which makes the cost really reasonable and we sail together all the time anyway, so. I Gotta have it! Is it just me? Can't be.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
I can't help myself. I gotta have another boat! Ever since I took my old Garden yawl out of the water I've had a few other boats just to play with while I work on the yawl. Doesn't make the work on the yawl go any faster but it has been a good education, just to experience sailing different types of boats. My latest is a US 30, which is basically a Peterson IOR type half tonner with a different deck/cabin on it to give it a little more room below and make it appeal to the masses. Good sailing boat, but now a friend and regular crew member wants me to go in on a Dash 34 with him and another friend. Went for a sail yesterday and I'm pretty much hooked. Such a sweet sailing boat. Small handy headsails, large main, fractional rig, great seating for the helmsman (helmsperson?), well outboard so one can see the sails, and pretty darn fast. Head ,stove, sink, yep it's a cruiser, a Salish Sea racer and summer cruiser.

Still I will get the yawl done and back in the water, but til then there's all those great boats to sail. I know I'm not the only one. I'm sure Kimb and Bob and WHL know what I'm talking about. The Admiral is skeptical but isn't saying no. I'd sell the US 30 soon but she wants to wait. We'll own the Dash jointly which makes the cost really reasonable and we sail together all the time anyway, so. I Gotta have it! Is it just me? Can't be.
No, I don't think wanting another boat is very common at all. Quite uncommon, I'd say. Perhaps you need professional help. B)

BobJ

Super Anarchist
I found something to like about every boat I've ever sailed, and there have been a lot. The current one's a keeper though - you'll have to buy it from my estate.

But yeah, I understand.

Thorvald

Puget Sound
Here's an old one.

/monthly_06_2012/post-53042-085091000%201340720164_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• 94389393627454358904.jpg
    94389393627454358904.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 0

Tucky

Super Anarchist
Maine
Guitar players call it GAS- Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

I've never been a sufferer, either guitars or boats. Like Jimmy Carter I just lust in my heart, but I've always had the sense to have just one major boat. I have a few guitars but I could easily sell all but one electric and one acoustic- they are the ones.

I love your line about "doesn't make the work go any faster"- doesn't it actually make the work go slower? Just sayin'.

My heart, on the other hand, rich with lust, is full of boats, cars, guitars women, you name it.

kdh

Super Anarchist

I've never been a sufferer, either guitars or boats. Like Jimmy Carter I just lust in my heart, but I've always had the sense to have just one major boat. I have a few guitars but I could easily sell all but one electric and one acoustic- they are the ones.

I love your line about "doesn't make the work go any faster"- doesn't it actually make the work go slower? Just sayin'.

My heart, on the other hand, rich with lust, is full of boats, cars, guitars women, you name it.
http://www.arts.mcgi...oyinterview.htmJimmy's Playboy Interview--excerpt

Last edited by a moderator:

Thorvald

Puget Sound

If I had any sense I probably wouldn't be rebuilding a 62 year old wooden yawl in my spare time, by myself. I probably wouldn't own a wooden boat and I probably wouldn't own 2 1/3 sailboats. The work does go slower. The upside is that the end result may be better. Having and sailing the other boats gives me some good ideas that I can incorporate in the rebuilding process. I also get good tips and ideas from others.

If I sold the other boats and quit sailing til I was done with the yawl would I be happier? Don't know. Pretty sure the Admiral wouldn't be happy if there was no day sailing or cruising til the yawl was done. Not sure there's a cure outside of a frontal lobotomy.

Soñadora

Super Anarchist
We have been off Soñadora for 2 years. We have sailed once with Jackdaw (and that's not for lack of his offers). The thing about drydock boat rehab is that you don't ever get time for sailing. If you go sailing you feel guilty for not working on the boat. In fact, it's gotten to the point where doing ANYTHING other than working on the boat in your spare time makes you feel guilty. I've had to turn down offers for all sorts of other activities because I want to get the damn boat DONE. I can't say I don't enjoy the work. To the contrary, if I could work on boats for a living, I'd do it. For a while. At least until it wasn't fun any more.

If the last 2 years have taught me anything, it's that there's no way I could devote myself to a 5 or 10 year "spare time" boat building/rebuilding project. After a while, it's like a splinter you can't get out.

Last edited by a moderator:

belandm

Super Anarchist
Everett, WA
We have been off Soñadora for 2 years. We have sailed once with Jackdaw (and that's not for lack of his offers). The thing about drydock boat rehab is that you don't ever get time for sailing. If you go sailing you feel guilty for not working on the boat. In fact, it's gotten to the point where doing ANYTHING other than working on the boat in your spare time makes you feel guilty. I've had to turn down offers for all sorts of other activities because I want to get the damn boat DONE. I can't say I don't enjoy the work. To the contrary, if I could work on boats for a living, I'd do it. For a while. At least until it wasn't fun any more.

If the last 2 years have taught me anything, it's that there's no way I could devote myself to a 5 or 10 year "spare time" boat building/rebuilding project. After a while, it's like a splinter you can't get out.
+1.

The last couple of seasons were very hard without Firefly in the water. We did a small amount of sailing on borrowed boats, but yeah, I always felt guilty to not be working on Firefly when I did that. No way I could have done this refit on the time-share plan while sailing another boat.

(As for Firefly's refit, it's not done... there's no trim on the ceiling and headliner, no mooring cleats, a couple of pieces of brightwork are missing, none of the brightwork is varnished, the diesel deck fill isn't bolted down, the anchor locker has no hinges, the list goes on. But I'm typing this at anchor in Hunter Bay, Lopez Island. Close enough for this week. :) )

A

Amati

You must find balance, grasshopper. A nice IC or A class cat. Or a Wylie 17 . Or a 30 sq m. Or a 6 m. Or a catboat.

Formula windsurfer? Open 60?

He who dies with the most boats wins.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
You must find balance, grasshopper. A nice IC or A class cat. Or a Wylie 17 . Or a 30 sq m. Or a 6 m. Or a catboat.

Maybe. Sounds like as good a way of keeping score as I've heard of... but they have to be sailed!

My serious recommendation is to get a small simple new or nearly-new boa that DOESN'T NEED ANY WORK so that you can get out on the water and remember what it's all about. Working on boats, house, car, volunteer project, friends boats, etc etc, leaves me to frigging time to get my racing baby in shape and no time to fix my old once-proud but now-dilapidated cruiser. And it also leaves me rather short-tempered about working on yet MORE stuff that isn't the 2 boats I want to work on take out on the water. It's gotten so that I have actually fantasized about a magic button that would make one of the boats disappear. Would I push it?

Simplify. Seek balance. These major projects have a way of swallowing your whole life if you let it.

FB- Doug

Thorvald

Puget Sound

Yes, you must be a very wise man. We sailed the new boat home tonight. It sails like a dream. I feel more balanced already.