I still call Australia home

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
fucking unbelievable.
Would anyone who thinks that Australians up north are not racist shitbags, please close the door quietly.
One could say that there's always a few rotten apples in the gunny sack, but how many of his co workers knew his attitude and ignored it or joined in.

Zachary Rolfe​

In the texts, Mr Rolfe brags that he has "laid into" Aboriginal people, and in several of the messages he refers to them as "n***as", "c**ns, and "neanderthals".

In one message, sent from Mr Rolfe in March of 2019, he said:

"I'm out at Borroloola, a random community on the coast, 'cause they're rioting. But we came up last time they did this and smashed the whole community. So, this time, as soon as we arrived, they started behaving."
In other exchange, Mr Rolfe is heard saying he "likes" to "towel up" Aboriginal people, which the coroner heard meant "beat people up."

Mr Rolfe: "Oi, if you're hungry, you're definitely allowed to towel locals up."
Fellow officer: "If your last name rhymes with Olf, you're allowed to towel up locals."
Mr Rolfe: "I do have a licence to towel locals. I like it."
The coroner heard in another text exchange Mr Rolfe wrote that "those bush c**ns aren't used to people going after them".

Sergeant Jolley told the coroner these were not attitudes that she had heard previously expressed by Northern Territory police officers.

a young man wearing a blue collared shirt outside court

Zachary Rolfe's lawyers previously objected to the text messages being included in the inquest. (ABC News: Che Chorley)

Allegations of 'acting' for body-worn video​

In another text exchange read out to the court, a fellow police officer apologised to Mr Rolfe for "losing" his "s***".

Other officer: Stress you didn't need. You sorted it well. I just had enough. He was the second person to press my button that night.
Constable Rolfe: "Bro, there was literally no stress about it. I'm all for that shit. I've done the same thing to you more than once, before. I'm always ready to make my camera face the other way, and be a dramatic c*** in the film, ha ha."
Other officer: "And the Oscar goes to."
Constable Rolfe: Ha ha
Sergeant Jolley said she had never heard of officers "acting in a particular way after they turn their body worn video on".

She told the coroner the allegation was "surprising" and warranted discipline.

Last edited:

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
That's both gutless and hypocritical behaviour though IMO so - no, you can't have such a rule while she is doing her best to play 'heads I win tails you lose' with the secret double-ignore thing.
I didn't say stop taking the piss. I just asked that you make it funny. At least aim for some entertaining epithets. (or a nifty bit of alliteration at the very least)

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I didn't say stop taking the piss. I just asked that you make it funny. At least aim for some entertaining epithets. (or a nifty bit of alliteration at the very least)

I'd prefer to not bother at all TBH, she's incapable of learning. If she'd stop sneak peeking and quoting me, I'd have no reason to respond to her stupidities.

However one good thing has come from this - I now have a copy of 'The Year of the Angry Rabbit' to re-read after some 40+ years gap since I first read it. Be interesting if I like it as much as I did the first time. Getting a copy turned out to be more expensive than I'd thought.

And Meli will never, ever read it...

FKT

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Kiddies bitching again? Oh the powers of super secret ignore. (I can see who you're quoting)
Got bored and toddled off to the boatshed again has he?
So predictable
No - just debating as to whether your unrelenting dribble has even the slight merit of being humerously bad. Consensus of opinonion (ie mine) is that you don't even posess the redeeming aspect of being an object for satirical ridicule.

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
No - just debating as to whether your unrelenting dribble has even the slight merit of being humerously bad. Consensus of opinonion (ie mine) is that you don't even posess the redeeming aspect of being an object for satirical ridicule.
Now, being one of the gang on Meli's super ignore list I'm gonna bet you're not talking to FKT with this post

I'm happy to be on Mel's list of naughty boys but it does make threads difficult to follow. I'll cop a bit of difficulty for the greater good of not seeing her BS which mostly makes people a bit dumber and casts a bad light on Aussie posters.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Now, being one of the gang on Meli's super ignore list I'm gonna bet you're not talking to FKT with this post

Hey, fair comment if he is referring to me, I don't mind. Humour etc is in the eye of the beholder after all.

My daughters think I'm a boring old fart and they're certainly smart enough to know.

FKT

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
Hey, fair comment if he is referring to me, I don't mind. Humour etc is in the eye of the beholder after all.

My daughters think I'm a boring old fart and they're certainly smart enough to know.

FKT
Doesn't matter. What about the bet I've offered? We're both on super secret ignore, both blind to her comments. I reckon I'm on a very safe wager...

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
hang on...
on double double, spoil and muddle, ignore, dont you even see that I responded to, and quoted, Meli?

That takes away what slight skerrick of entertaiment remained.

Besides, while I had a cheeky look at your boat when I visited Bruny 18 months ago, I do plan on twisting your arm to go out for a sail sometime. I've never seen a junk rig in action, and still don't really believe they can point higher than about 60 degrees.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
hang on...
on double double, spoil and muddle, ignore, dont you even see that I responded to, and quoted, Meli?
All we see is that you are appear to be talking to yourself.

Given that he does not peek, FKT will not know if posters have lost their marbles or at just replying to Meli’s.

Both applies to some here….

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
hang on...

That takes away what slight skerrick of entertaiment remained.

Besides, while I had a cheeky look at your boat when I visited Bruny 18 months ago, I do plan on twisting your arm to go out for a sail sometime. I've never seen a junk rig in action, and still don't really believe they can point higher than about 60 degrees.

Well you need to go sailing with our friend Werner over in Gippsland, because my GF and I can't sail for shit so you'll never learn anything about sailing ANY boat upwind from us.

I get bored tacking and fire up the diesel. Can point as high as I like then. We don't have wind instruments anyway, what you don't have you can't miss.

We're hauling out today - in theory - and I might get my DIY autopilot installed so I can be even lazier. Push button steering from the aft seats. Assuming I ever finish writing the software that is, there's a bug (or 50) you see...

And the powered main halyard winch project is stalled because getting some 120mm diameter aluminium bar is proving very slow. I ordered it 3 weeks ago.

FKT

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
All we see is that you are appear to be talking to yourself.

Given that he does not peek, FKT will not know if posters have lost their marbles or at just replying to Meli’s.

Both applies to some here….

When I read that, my immediate thought was - is there a difference?

This double-secret ignore caper does have an entertaining aspect. If she keeps it up she might just as well talk to her mirror.

FKT

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Morrison is gone as PM, but how many of the libs that were involved in these scandals now coming to light, remain?
Should Albo be a 1 term PM, how many of these corrupt MP's (including Morrison) will be back running the business?

Part of a long artical,

Cost blowout claims​

Navy officers and politicians salute a submarine with a target symbol painted on its front at a shipyard.

Officials celebrating the launch of the French Suffren submarine at Naval Group shipyards in Cherbourg, France.(Twitter: Linda Reynolds)
On the claims of a cost blowout, Mr Gillis says these claims were built on an escalating series of misunderstandings of comments made as early as 2015 by officials in parliamentary committees.

This process began with an estimate of $50 billion mentioned in an October 2015 committee hearing which was quoting the cost of the submarine program in 2040 dollars.

"What was not stipulated but was understood at the time was that Defence was talking about the purchase of Japanese Soryu Class submarines to be built in Japan. Built and potentially delivered in the 'early 2040s,'" Mr Gillis said.

This was for a significantly smaller submarine than the current Australian subs, and submarines "built in Japan with no new infrastructure [and] no Australian content targets".

AUKUS plan revealed by March​

Australia's future nuclear submarine plans are expected to be unveiled early next year, with the government also looking to detail its moves to fix a looming capability gap.
Australian Defence Force senior leadership appointments
Read more

Mr Gillis says that the subsequent competitive bidding process delivered "a strong win for Naval Group".

"The evaluation identified that the new Attack class would be the most advanced and lethal conventionally powered submarine ever built.

"The main criteria for selection were that it would produce a regionally superior and sovereign capability.

"It was interesting at the time that my American submariner colleagues who assisted with the evaluation concluded that the new Attack could provide capabilities in a range of operational environments that would exceed some of the capabilities of the US nuclear boats.

"Not in all but in areas that would be critical in the defence of the Australian continent, especially in the protection of the shallow sea lanes and the littorals to our north.

"In 2016 the Program Manager Rear Admiral Greg Sammut provided in Senate Estimates evidence that the cost of the project was $50 billion in 'constant dollars' not including the inflationary factors that the Secretary had included in 2015 (based on the tendered price from Naval Group and Lockheed Martin and the costs for the shipyard and the infrastructure, sparing for the first of class and a very long list of Defence and Government related costs).

"Admiral Sammut was, as he usually is, very precise and deliberate in his wording. One of the reasons that he used constant dollars was that it was so early in the program that the production schedule was not locked down and therefore an 'out year' or inflation adjusted figure for 30 or so years would have been nothing more than a rough guess. We did however know that the first of class would be delivered in 2032 and the last of class in the 2050s.

Blunt warning on US sub building capability​

Helping Australia acquire nuclear-powered submarines could be difficult for overstretched American shipyards, a US Navy official warns.
A submarine is seen on the surface of the water in front of mountains and clear skies.
Read more

"In 2017 the Department of Finance used an estimate of 35 years for the completion of the final boat and came up with the inflation-adjusted figure of $90 billion. In the mind of some parliamentarians, Australia now had an instant $40 billion "cost blow out", and almost every media outlet in the country repeated the claim."

Mr Gillis said the Naval Group Australia board was badly hamstrung in being able to "correct this narrative" because "the contract with the Commonwealth was very specific about what we could and couldn't say" and because the board "did not have any visibility of the other price estimates for Lockheed Martin or other costs that would have been incurred by the Commonwealth".

Lockheed Martin and other contractors were providing weapons and operating systems on the submarines.

The Naval Group component of the build, he said, was approximately $32 billion.

"At no point was there any contract worth or expected to be worth AUD $90b and any reference to the cancellation with Naval Group of a AUD $90b contract is a deliberate lie and a total misrepresentation of the program," Mr Gillis says.

"NGA knew its estimate to build 12 vessels over the period of 35 years was stable and varied within 1 per cent from the 2016 contracted price. The Naval Group price was in Euros and exchange rate variation could significantly affect the overall price even on a day-to-day basis let alone over a 35-year period."

Mr Gillis said the situation "was exacerbated when Admiral Sammut provided an estimate to sustain the fleet over a period until 2080. Some media subsequently estimated that the total cost of the program had now 'blown out' to $235 billion."

A cabinet submission drafted by Greg Sammut, and released after an FOI request, was sent to the Defence deputy secretary responsible for shipbuilding, Tony Dalton, 34 days before the cancellation of the program on August 20 last year.

It said: "The updated program cost estimate is $46.4 billion in 2016 constant dollars, which remains within the original acquisition cost estimate of $50 billion in 2016 constant dollars announced at the outset of the Attack class submarine program in April 2016".

Last edited:

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
When I read that, my immediate thought was - is there a difference?

This double-secret ignore caper does have an entertaining aspect. If she keeps it up she might just as well talk to her mirror.

FKT
I went to the soverign citizen thread the other day and one poster was making repeated nonsensical posts in succession. I peeked to find that they were replying to many Mikey posts... It was still a nonsensical discussion but at least I realised that the poster I saw was not necessarily drinking.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I went to the soverign citizen thread the other day and one poster was making repeated nonsensical posts in succession. I peeked to find that they were replying to many Mikey posts... It was still a nonsensical discussion but at least I realised that the poster I saw was not necessarily drinking.

I've got my ignore settings to show the ignored one's post as per the old forum ie that they've made one but not the content. It makes threads easier to follow.

When you're on double-secret ignore then ALL of the posts by the person who put you in their list disappears from your view and that makes threads hard to follow. But the wacky entertainment value is worth it IMO. It's not like this place is one to be taken seriously.

FKT

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I've got my ignore settings to show the ignored one's post as per the old forum ie that they've made one but not the content. It makes threads easier to follow.

When you're on double-secret ignore then ALL of the posts by the person who put you in their list disappears from your view and that makes threads hard to follow. But the wacky entertainment value is worth it IMO. It's not like this place is one to be taken seriously.

FKT
ou don't take this place seriously? OMG..... How could you...

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
First time I ever opened this thread. It said “new” and went to page one.

Edit. I mean I just opened it for the first time this morning.

Latest posts