I still call Australia home

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
So, how broad should the Anti Corruption body's powers be?
Limited to investigating government officials, politicians and public servants etc OR include 3rd parties in it's scope?

(well done to the gov by getting this up so quickly)

Days out from the likely release of the federal government's anti-corruption bill, some key crossbenchers are raising concerns it might not be given the level of power they are looking for.

Key points:​

• The government says it will establish a body with "broad powers" to tackle corruption both inside and around the federal government
  • Senator David Pocock says it is crucial the integrity commission has the power to investigate people who are not politicians
  • The bill should adopt the definition taken on by bodies like the New South Wales ICAC, Anthony Whealy KC says

Federal parliament will resume next week after a fortnight's delay due to the death of the Queen, and the government will use the sitting period to introduce the long-promised integrity commission legislation.

While details around the bill remain a secret for now, the government says it would establish a body with "broad powers" to tackle corruption both inside and around the federal government.

But key crossbenchers — including some the government might rely on in the Senate to support the bill — are concerned it could be hamstrung by tight definitions of who it can and cannot investigate.

Independent senator David Pocock and independent MP Helen Haines both argue the commission has to be able to investigate anybody undertaking any sort of dealing with the government.

It could emerge as a stumbling block as the government looks to have the bill legislated before the end of the year.

How broad should the body's powers be?​

In a recent speech, Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus spelled out who would be covered under the government's integrity bill.

"The commission will operate independently of government and will have broad jurisdiction to investigate serious or systemic corruption across the Commonwealth public sector," he said.

"It will have the power to investigate ministers, parliamentarians and their staff, public servants, statutory office holders and contractors."

Some on the crossbench want the bill to go further than that, and cover any third party involved in federal politics.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Anna seriously has to go. The incompetent QLD Labor goverment and their pathetic management of youth justice is a disgrace.

Just a couple of the latest high profile youth crime incidents. On the news last night Anna implied that it was up to the parents not her goverment to control these teens.

FinnFish

Super Anarchist
Anna seriously has to go. The incompetent QLD Labor goverment and their pathetic management of youth justice is a disgrace.

Just a couple of the latest high profile youth crime incidents. On the news last night Anna implied that it was up to the parents not her goverment to control these teens.

Queenslanders aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. She'll get back in, likely with an increased majority.

The farcical BS out this morning is that Anna is going to make State power generation coal free by 2035. So we'll stop burning 10mt of thermal coal in Queensland for power generation but it's OK to send ~100mt of Queensland thermal coal overseas for power generation.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Yep, Queenslanders are very special.

I don’t have an issue with the exporting. If we don’t export it, the buyer will still source it from elsewhere. Don’t be foolish to think that if we stop exporting it will make a difference when we don’t have exclusive supplies of the coal. It may even make it worse if the buyers have to source lower quality/more polluting coal.

Net result, nothing achieved, nothing gained.

We should be using our exports to help us pay for the transition to renewables.

D

Deleted member 149385

Crikey. Meli, youve been on this for quite a bit. Are you simply reacting or do you have a message still?

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Crikey. Meli, youve been on this for quite a bit. Are you simply reacting or do you have a message still?
Is that you BB?
Sorry, I don't understand your language.
What is this that I've been on for quite a while? and am I simply reacting to what?
Do I still have a message about what or for whom??

FinnFish

Super Anarchist
1664521786089.png

flugel-trumpet.gif

FinnFish

Super Anarchist