I420 vs.Club 420

dcripton

Not which one is better, just how people objectively see the demographics going in these classes

I JUST bought my son a club 420 two weeks ago, and I'm seeing the i420 is seemingly making a comeback for youths and the world's here in 2018.

My question is how fast are the 100 plus fleets of club 420s all over the east coast going to die completely? I've seen it happen with bytes and Laser twos in Canada, I'm hoping I don't have an outdated boat that no one wants in 2 years.

Lake Shark

midwest
What mustang said, absolutely Zero chance of the C420 dying. The C420 is the USA youth staple with something like 200 boats at nationals. A very small amount of programs may switch to FJs but I doubt it unless they are highly college sailing focused.

Foxy

Sebastian FL
There was some discussion of the differences in the Club 420's for grownups thread.

While its the same hull shape, the I 420 is more fragile than the club version. You are just not going to see clubs and schools adopting the I-420 in their programs for the same reasons they came up with the Club version about 40 years ago.

dcripton

Thanks guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but regarding my whole grownups sailing 420's, I420's do have an "open" competition, do they not? Or is it all youth sailors?

I think they are open depending on what event you go to (ie, youth worlds is, well, not open). However, at least in america, you will most likely never encounter an older person. Unless i decide to jump in one because i never got my growth spurt. At any rate, the i420's participate in Open Orange Bowl which is open.

For a while 29er's had some not-kids racing, parent/kid, older people looking to transition to the 49er, etc. I think there might have been a husband/wife out there for a minute as well.

The trouble with both fleets is that the optimum weight is pretty low. I would guess the i420 is around 250-260, the 29er is about the same these days (it used to be/i shot for about 280-290 in the 29er).

bait

"Not which one is better, just how people objectively see the demographics going in these classes"

Completely agree with what has been stated above! The Club420 is not going anywhere anytime soon. It is a very well established North American youth boat that is fully endorsed by US Sailing. It is also a well supported scholastic platform albeit in the scholastic configuration with out spin and trap. The class numbers are there and the 2016 Orange bowl sold out in about three hours for the 100 boat limit of entries at that event. The I420 open Orange bowl is still open for entries and should expect more than thirty entries.

The club 420 is also primarily a program owned boat with basically 80% of boats owned by sailing clubs and organizations. With only around 20% of the class privately owned, this keeps the class available to a large number of sailors. My kids are part of that 20% and we own our own boat as the local club boats are just not maintained to a race condition. But the vast number of program boats open many doors for sailors nationwide.

The i420 is such a completely different class. The boats share some cominality in size and shape, but as a class it is a completely different internationally sailed boat. In the US the I420 boats are all primarily privately owned except the few owned by places like Oakcliff, ODP and a few others with an extra boat to lend out or chartered. While this class is being pushed by the OPD and US Sailing as a development class it offers a higher level of sailing for sailors looking to move on to international competition. We also have an I420 and the kids really like sailing this boat a lot as it offers a lot more performance than the Club420. But the number of US competitors will never reach the numbers you get at a national Club420 event. Many of the top I420 sailors are also the top Club420 sailors as well and bounce back and forth for the various events.

Much has been said about the Club420 sailboat as a sailing platform and being outdated and that is not part of this discussion. The Club 420 has a tremendous support in this country and the i420 is the largest double handed youth boat in the world to my knowledge. Please correct me if I have bad info! Being a boat owner of a C420 you have a great opportunity for some very competitive youth sailing for years to come here in the US. Enjoy it with your family. It has been a huge part of my family as it has brought us together in something we all enjoy!

sheethead

Branford CT
Off topic but somewhat related, the board has asked me to look into starting a youth sailing program and I'm thinking the C420 would be the right choice. We are located near YCYC in Branford so maybe some competition could be in order some day. The real question, if we wanted to get a few "starter" boats where would we find them for a reasonable price?

colleges that are rotating their boats. They may not have trap and spin gear but that is pretty easy to add. Some boats have totally filled rails though and at worse will not be allowed to compete in club 420 events, at best are noticeably heavier. I think sail1design.com would be a good place to start looking, and also ask college age sailors/coaches etc.

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Off topic but somewhat related, the board has asked me to look into starting a youth sailing program and I'm thinking the C420 would be the right choice. We are located near YCYC in Branford so maybe some competition could be in order some day. The real question, if we wanted to get a few "starter" boats where would we find them for a reasonable price?
i may have one for you free.....

dacapo said:
i may have one for you free.....
WITH trailer

bait

Contact one of the three builders. They are working with programs all the time to upgrade fleets. As programs purchase new fleets the builders help them sell the older boats to other programs getting started.

The two primary builders are Zim Sailing and Sturgis boats. Laser Performance is the other builder. Google them for contact info.

Agree Sail 1design is a good clearinghouse for the class as well. They have both individual and fleets for sale.

PaulK

Super Anarchist
If you're in Branford, you've probably heard of Yale University. They rotate their fleet on a regular basis. My college picked up six used boats from them at $200 each. They were very tired, but floated. Call them up. Other schools nearby (CT College, URI etc. likely have similar stories.