Ice Yachting on YouTube

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Just opened my 2022 WoodenBoat calendar and January is an ice boat. So, I went to YouTube and searched on Ice Yachting. It was mesmerizing. Here's one to start with. It is amazing!

chester

Super Anarchist
1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Just opened my 2022 WoodenBoat calendar and January is an ice boat. So, I went to YouTube and searched on Ice Yachting. It was mesmerizing. Here's one to start with. It is amazing!

I think it would be awesome.  Our problem here is that we rarely get the "black ice"  that iceboating lusts after, the water freezes and then it snows, the window where the lakes are frozen deep enough to support the sailing but no snow is pretty small.  

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
It is great fun, but not unusual for us to get only a couple good days a year. You have to be willing to travel alot to find good clear ice, or live in Montana.

A friend taking my daughter out for a spin last February on our little local lake.  IMG_2047.jpg

eliboat

Super Anarchist
My house is now on a lake, so I can see day to day if there is good ice or not. If there is… I go ice boating.  Roaming around to find good ice, good wind and no snow is painful.   

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Many years ago I tried a DN on the frozen St. Lawrence River near Montreal. Probably the most fun sailing I ever did. I have looked longingly at ads for ice boats on Craigslist, Kijiji, etc.  But where I live in Nova Scotia the ice conditions are seldom ever right for ice boating, so you have to be prepared to do a lot of driving. Cold is not a problem if you dress for it. I'd rather deal with -30 C than +30 C.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
I've been much tempted to build one, probably using a windsurfing rig. But I do wonder - Minnesota peeps clue me in, here -- how you see ice fishing holes and the frozen pile of shavings therefrom at 50mph, and what happens when you hit one. :ph34r:

A kitewing and skates or skis would give more terrain options and be less dependent on conditions.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/329404696?h=de5853720c&app_id=122963

ETA: Better vid showing range of use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upp3

Anarchist
I've been much tempted to build one, probably using a windsurfing rig. But I do wonder - Minnesota peeps clue me in, here -- how you see ice fishing holes and the frozen pile of shavings therefrom at 50mph, and what happens when you hit one. :ph34r:
From second hand experience you'll crawl to shore and get nice carbon fiber knee brace.

chester

Super Anarchist
Iceboats were the fastest mode of human transport for more than a century.
i remember an article in wooden boat (?) years ago about ice boats and their history...they talked about HUUUUUGE ice boats on the Hudson River and speeds in excess of 100mph, if i recall correctly.

chester

Super Anarchist
6 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

A kitewing and skates or skis would give more terrain options and be less dependent on conditions.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/329404696?h=de5853720c&app_id=122963
https://www.wissa.org/  the world ice and snow sailing championships were in saskatchewan in 2001.  the site says at cedar lake...it was on blackstrap lake 20 minutes south of the city.  it was a modest affair with maybe 20 people their but there were Finns and Quebecers and a couple of guys from Poland!  the rigs were a wild collection of mostly home engineered and adapted gear.  My buddy had his windsurfer on skates, there was a couple of DN's and a few guys on skis strapped to kites...i think the whole kite thing has evolved since then.  There was a local with a 3 corner "boat" with snowboards as skis, he claimed to be able to sail across stubble fields and pastures if the wind got up!

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
i remember an article in wooden boat (?) years ago about ice boats and their history...they talked about HUUUUUGE ice boats on the Hudson River and speeds in excess of 100mph, if i recall correctly.
Iceboating was big on the Finger Lakes (NY) where I grew up. Classic Skeeters were the ticket, for the rich kids. Those things could fly. Buddy Melges raced one in the Midwest.

Not sure the lake even freezes solid these days.