Ice Yachting on YouTube

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY
i remember an article in wooden boat (?) years ago about ice boats and their history...they talked about HUUUUUGE ice boats on the Hudson River and speeds in excess of 100mph, if i recall correctly.
I got a ride on one of those big Hudson River beasts some years ago. I guess these days it’s pretty rare to have the appropriate conditions. 

What I would really like to do is get a ride on a Scooter iceboat, native to Long Island’s Great South Bay. I’ve never seen one in the flesh.

15B12825-13B9-44AE-B6CE-BEA486A29166.jpeg

B1B0FBD8-EDB3-4FBD-870A-D299F33503E6.jpeg

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
The bottom picture is from 1611 by Adam van Breen weirdly i can't find anything about the location of this scene. It's in The Netherlands most important national art museum and things like these are pretty well documented most of the time.
He worked mostly in Amsterdam and the Hague. Oslo, too, but this scene is clearly the Netherlands. I went looking for a civic building like the one shown on the right, but there's every chance the occupying Spanish burned it down. <_< (Just finished H. Rider Haggard's Lysbeth.)

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Looks like fun but like mountain biking, finding the right conditions would seemingly be a pain. (Around here, I never read about the fellows riding on their mountain biking trail but it seems that every week they are asking for volunteers to come work on it.)  

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
Looks like fun but like mountain biking, finding the right conditions would seemingly be a pain. (Around here, I never read about the fellows riding on their mountain biking trail but it seems that every week they are asking for volunteers to come work on it.)  
I think they are making a desperate plea for new blood to show up with beer.

chester

Super Anarchist
On 1/7/2022 at 11:26 AM, Voiled said:

The bottom picture is from 1611 by Adam van Breen weirdly i can't find anything about the location of this scene. It's in The Netherlands most important national art museum and things like these are pretty well documented most of the time.

Some "IJsschuiten" are preserved in museums and only a few are preserved and still actively sailed

Although none of these resemble the schuit in the painting, here's picture of the complete collection of the single most prominent association still sailing historical ice yachts:

Edit, as this is an ice yachting on youtube thread:

hmmmm, build cradle for any old dingy and a 3 point frame on skates...why not?

Knut Grotzki

Germany
I don´t want this thread to drift off - but for ice sailing I never can get an old video off my mind. Pardon for sharing this.

In 2009 this was like unbelievable

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
During Prohibition there was pretty active 'fleet' of rumrunners flying across the Great Lakes between the US & Canada.  Pretty soon law enforcement had their own boats.

main-qimg-a3cf7eadf71f7333bce8c6032b6de073-lq

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
There is a great discussion about the mast bend on the DNA at the beginning of this thread.  Not sure where the thread drifted to after that.

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
Everybody knows REAL ice boats are steered from the STERN!

Classic.  Iron men with icey hearts.

qzdqoim4jhf81.jpg

Modern.  A gentleman never steers from the bow.

Taku-2007-Northwest1.jpg

One of those typical winter wonderland moments, where everybody is convinced somebody is doing it wrong.

dwane-mckinney-iceboat-freighter3.jpg

Who needs bikini's & beaches to have fun.