Icebreakin’ on ‘Tonka

BayRacer

Anarchist
Ha!  When you try to extend the season just a bit too long.

Hope it doesn’t get crushed in an ice shove tomorrow when upper Midwest supposed to get sustained 30+ with potential for 60,  depending on how much down mixing occurs. 

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
A couple years ago, we had skim ice on our creeks and a guy with a 36' trawler learned a lesson about why you don't just drive on thru a bunch of ice. He was trying to do a good deed and break out a bunch of sailboats for a winter series race.... it was a nice sunny day.

He ended up with about 2 ~ 3 inch wide strip of gelcoat and a few layers of glass removed around his waterline. If he'd kept doing it, the ice would have cut right thru the hull and sunk him.

- DSK

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
Follow The Qualified Captain on social media. Near as I can tell, the story continued at the launch ramp last night...
I got the idea from those stories that maybe this thing was taking on water and this ill-advised trip was the lesser of two evils? Or at least the less certain of two evils? 

Cool old cruiser, though. Hope they saved it!

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
A couple years ago, we had skim ice on our creeks and a guy with a 36' trawler learned a lesson about why you don't just drive on thru a bunch of ice. He was trying to do a good deed and break out a bunch of sailboats for a winter series race.... it was a nice sunny day.

He ended up with about 2 ~ 3 inch wide strip of gelcoat and a few layers of glass removed around his waterline. If he'd kept doing it, the ice would have cut right thru the hull and sunk him.

- DSK
What a titanic mistake.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I used to commute by rowboat in Annapolis for a few years. The first year it iced up. Rowing through ice is hard so I used a little 3.5 HP outboard on my plywood nesting dinghy.

After the winter, I noticed the bow was scraped through 2 of the 3 veneers of the 1/4" plywood.  Ooops. The ice was not thick but it did last for weeks.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I used to commute by rowboat in Annapolis for a few years. The first year it iced up. Rowing through ice is hard so I used a little 3.5 HP outboard on my plywood nesting dinghy.

After the winter, I noticed the bow was scraped through 2 of the 3 veneers of the 1/4" plywood.  Ooops. The ice was not thick but it did last for weeks.
a little copper sheathing around the bow... I bet you could have found some flashing on one of them annapolis houses to repurpose :)

Roller Skates

Super Anarchist
North
19 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Yea that’s the ticket. 50 foot powerboat meets 4+ inches of Minnetonka ice. 

Isn't your boat still at the yacht club? With the stick up?  :ph34r:   :D
You joining them for a Shackleton?

Last edited by a moderator:

fastyacht

Super Anarchist

In 80 or 81, the whole upper bay froze over 3 feet thick. Looked like alaska. 50 foot heigh pressure ridges. Huge blocks of ice tossed up on the beaches. Sillery Bay with iceboating! The bubblers weren't good enough but the underwater turbines in Redhouse Cove worked (just barely) to keep boats from being crushed. It was quite something. We may never see it again in our lifetimes.

Watching it live now at 3:01 PM and it is still not out of the water.  Who is the guy with the stuffed badger hat?

Stuffed Badger.JPG