Iced OTWA

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Nice stills, Mer!

But I got in trouble at work when the old people's music started blaring out of my speakers.

Africat

Thanks for brining OTW to the A-cat world, Mer and Clean!!

Clean: One question I would have on new boats is, "Why doesn't anybody build a ruggedized practice-A-cat?" For those who sail from a rougher spot, it would make sense to have a drag-on-the-beach, Hobie-rugged A-cat, which they wouldn't have to baby all the time. Failing that, I'm stuck with vintage -- but tough-as-nails -- Hobie 14s and 16s here in West Africa. I guess this is OK for practice, but I'd still be curious to get an answer about a ruggedized practice-A-cat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for brining OTW to the A-cat world, Mer and Clean!!
Clean: One question I would have on new boats is, "Why doesn't anybody build a ruggedized practice-A-cat?" For those who sail from a rougher spot, it would make sense to have a drag-on-the-beach, Hobie-rugged A-cat, which they wouldn't have to baby all the time. Failing that, I'm stuck with vintage -- but tough-as-nails -- Hobie 14s and 16s here in West Africa. I guess this is OK for practice, but I'd still be curious to get an answer about a ruggedized practice-A-cat.

Take a look at the Hobie FXone http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/models_fxone.html . Folks sail them regularly off the beach here in Holland in surf. I don't know how it compares to an A cat.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Here's all the racing, after uploading to YouTube all night.

Race 1 Start and Gate:

Race 1 Finish:

Race 2 Start:

Race 2 Top Mark:

Race 2 Gate:

Race 2 Final Mark:

Part 2:

Race 2 Finish:

Part 2:

Deeznutz

Tybee 500 alumnus and A-Cat virgin Baily White after his first day racing an A-Cat:

Ian Landahl kicked ass today with a 2 and a 4 on his self-built LS-2, which is the funky lookin' one.
Way to go Ian! Nice to see him doing well... and representing WMU

Keep it up brother!

LCD

Great to see Anarchy OTW covering this. Let's hope it warms up some.

JL @ LR2/LR3 camp.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
It really is a great bunch of folks. Just heard that our pal Johnny Goldsberry might be coming down later to show us all how to kiteboard.

Wind is 20 knots from the NW, still chilly but more tolerable, and plenty of wind so we should finally get some carnage! Sorry we can't do much OTW from the actual water, but we should have vids loaded and up within an hour of getting off the water. Warning is at noon, three races scheduled, about 35-40 minutes each. These fuckers are going to be hauling today!

Also a big thank you to the Islander Resort for stepping up to help support our coverage of this fleet. The sales manager was checking out one of our videos where we were extolling the virtues of holding a regatta here, and they liked it so much that they became a sponsor. Their money won't change our opinion at all though - if I were part of any beach cat or dinghy class, I'd be scheduling a winter regatta here at least once a year.

cadee

how do I feel, with a new (used) A-cat in the garage RIGHT NOW I picked up last weekend... but I took ownership too late to get time off from work (and hoome chores!) to be down there... sigh... but soon

(but it's too cold! since when was there frostbiting in Florida...!)

hope to catch up with you A-men later...

MR.CLEAN

Not here
We lost the last part of the second race and all of the third because of a rescue mission. Bob Orr broke his port forward shroud before the first race, and no one saw him. At the end of the second race, a big motor cruiser called somehhing Georgiana called the RC. "One of your racers is out here." Bob pulled his sail down almost immediately when he noticed the shroud, and without a sail up during the busy pre-race action, no one noticed him. A half hour later, he'd jury-rigged a shroud after tying off to a crab pot. Another half hour, and he had enough strength to think about hoisting some sail and trying to get seen. That's when we were called.

"Does anyone in the fleet have a waterproof VHF on their boat?" I asked.

"I will next time," Bob answered.

Good stuff though, plenty of good shots today though obviously not much vid. We'll get a bunch of words from the fleet when they get in.

Loading vids now. Bob Hodges had two good races, not sure about the rest just yet.