ICW Cruising

bwasileski

I posted the other day that I was looking at a Dehler 46. Went to see it. Nice looking boat. One thing of note is the tall mast at 74 feet. Owner said he's taken the boat to FL and Bahamas but can't obviously do the ICW because of the rig height. One comment was take down the rig and strap it to the cabin top... for $200-$300. No one will take a rig down for that kind of money so I thought a not well thought out comment.
I like the boat so if I sail down to FL on the outside what are the best places to pull over to break up the trip?

Just looking for advice or experience with someone who had to do it as well. Thanks.

Bryan

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
Never done it, don't know a whole lot about the rest of Florida east coast, but Stuart (between Fort Pierce and Jupiter) is a nice town, a couple miles getting in, but good room to anchor, and you're right downtown in a pretty place, one bridge that opens, puts you in the "back yard" (where the cross-Florida barge canal begins), or anchor "out front" which is less common but fine. You'll have a dinghy, right?

That's the area I know, Stuart on down to West Palm, from diving it not sailing.

bwasileski

Yes. I'm expecting a few hops from Norfolk. Like Beaufort NC, Charleston, St. Augustine, Cape Canaveral....but I figure there may be a few in between that aren't obvious. Thanks for the input.

Greyhound37

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
You have no business in the ICW. You need to come inside use the inlets. ICW is not fun. Sail offshore a few nights and stop in Charleston, St Augustine, Palm beach, FLL and have fun. The benefit of deep draft and tall rig far exceed the ICW crap. Trust me

Greyhound37

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
Also put Port Royal on your list. Just up the Port Royal sound and a short Uber to Beaufort SC. Nice stop. Rambler was coming in last time I was there which was a bit wacky

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
If you are sailing outside from Norfolk, you probably don't want to put in before Charleston unless it's for weather reasons. Going from Norfolk around Cape Hatteras and then into Beaufort NC is like going around your elbow to get to your thumb.

Bowchow

Anarchist
ICW takes days doing what takes hours offshore.

Unless you are going to do this in the severe off season or hire a captain with no sailing experience - not worth it.

$300 is what my crane guy charges to take the rig down in Miami. You do the work of pulling pins, making wires nice and building a cradle.. If you do the work, this is a true statement.

accnick

Super Anarchist
Charleston to Fernandina Beach is a nice outside overnight.

I believe from there to St. Augustine. Opening bridge to city marina in the heart of downtown.

Veeger

Super Anarchist
What’s the draft? 6’ plus is not a lot of fun in the ICW. 7’ plus is practically, well, I was going to say ‘impossible’ but that’s probably not a technically true statement. However, it won’t be without ‘adventure’ and will take even longer as you’d have to really play the tides.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Ditche the Dehler foire the ICW, youlle hafte to gette a Gomere Boate......... beste if foire free! Dointe putte the maste up and youlle haive a greate time!

$_32.JPG

Tacke lottsa picts and vidioes and macke siurre you sharre them withe youre frendes ritte hearre.......... :)

CCruiser

Super Anarchist
If leaving from Norfolk, your first potential stop is Beaufort/Morehead City, there is also an anchorage at Cape Lookout. From there you can go in at Cape Fear River, New River, Port Royal tying up at either Hilton Head or Beaufort SC, Winyah Bay (Georgetown SC), then Charleston, you can go in at Savanah but it's a long trip upriver to reach the city, rather than Savanah you can go in at New Brunswick - Golden Isles Marina or a little bit farther into St Mary's River/Fernandina Beach, Jacksonville may be possible, but not sure there is a decent marina prior to the bridges, St Augustine, it is possible for you to anchor either side of the Bridge of the Lions. From there the next possible stop is Canaveral, then Ft Pierce, Lake Worth, Ft Lauderdale and then Miami. If you come in the Old Florida Chanel there are no bridges, if you come in Government Cut/Fisherman's Chanel you can stop at Miamarina, or go south on the IC where you would have to go under the Rickenbacker Bridge, it is at least 72'(?) so not sure you can fit under it.

Obviously, you are going to have to pick your weather, and after you turn the corner at Hatteras depending on how you feel you can stop in at Beaufort/Morehead (NC) or just keep going. Depending on when you make the trip at Hatteras you can just keep heading South and aim for the Northwest corner of the Little Bahama Bank down to West End or further South depending on where you are going in Fl. Its @500 miles from Hatteras to the Bank. Have made the trip several times, usually in late October or early Nov. Fastest way to get there, but you are exposed to possible tropical weather. The other approach is to stay inshore, out of the Stream and do it nonstop, this has the advantage of allowing you to pull in when the weather threatens. Have done this trip several times, good way to go if there is tropical weather or cold fronts you are concerned about, say in Winter or early October.

Peter Andersen

Anarchist
I posted the other day that I was looking at a Dehler 46. Went to see it. Nice looking boat. One thing of note is the tall mast at 74 feet. Owner said he's taken the boat to FL and Bahamas but can't obviously do the ICW because of the rig height. One comment was take down the rig and strap it to the cabin top... for $200-$300. No one will take a rig down for that kind of money so I thought a not well thought out comment.
I like the boat so if I sail down to FL on the outside what are the best places to pull over to break up the trip?

Just looking for advice or experience with someone who had to do it as well. Thanks.

Bryan
Anything over 63-64' air draft is difficult. Dehler 46 is listed at 69.5 feet and 7.4 ft draft. It dosn't belong anywhere near the ICW.
Dropping/restepping the mast will be $2-3000 and you have to find a yard on the ICW with the water draft which of course there are but
limits options. CCruiser has it right.

bwasileski

You have no business in the ICW. You need to come inside use the inlets. ICW is not fun. Sail offshore a few nights and stop in Charleston, St Augustine, Palm beach, FLL and have fun. The benefit of deep draft and tall rig far exceed the ICW crap. Trust me
Kinda of my thought but not having done it I'm looking for input from folks who's been there and done it.

bwasileski

Anything over 63-64' air draft is difficult. Dehler 46 is listed at 69.5 feet and 7.4 ft draft. It dosn't belong anywhere near the ICW.
Dropping/restepping the mast will be $2-3000 and you have to find a yard on the ICW with the water draft which of course there are but
limits options. CCruiser has it right.
exactly

bwasileski

ICW takes days doing what takes hours offshore.

Unless you are going to do this in the severe off season or hire a captain with no sailing experience - not worth it.

$300 is what my crane guy charges to take the rig down in Miami. You do the work of pulling pins, making wires nice and building a cradle.. If you do the work, this is a true statement.
Living in Boston has jaded my sense of cost...you can't get anyone to show up for any job around here for $300.

bwasileski

If leaving from Norfolk, your first potential stop is Beaufort/Morehead City, there is also an anchorage at Cape Lookout. From there you can go in at Cape Fear River, New River, Port Royal tying up at either Hilton Head or Beaufort SC, Winyah Bay (Georgetown SC), then Charleston, you can go in at Savanah but it's a long trip upriver to reach the city, rather than Savanah you can go in at New Brunswick - Golden Isles Marina or a little bit farther into St Mary's River/Fernandina Beach, Jacksonville may be possible, but not sure there is a decent marina prior to the bridges, St Augustine, it is possible for you to anchor either side of the Bridge of the Lions. From there the next possible stop is Canaveral, then Ft Pierce, Lake Worth, Ft Lauderdale and then Miami. If you come in the Old Florida Chanel there are no bridges, if you come in Government Cut/Fisherman's Chanel you can stop at Miamarina, or go south on the IC where you would have to go under the Rickenbacker Bridge, it is at least 72'(?) so not sure you can fit under it.

Obviously, you are going to have to pick your weather, and after you turn the corner at Hatteras depending on how you feel you can stop in at Beaufort/Morehead (NC) or just keep going. Depending on when you make the trip at Hatteras you can just keep heading South and aim for the Northwest corner of the Little Bahama Bank down to West End or further South depending on where you are going in Fl. Its @500 miles from Hatteras to the Bank. Have made the trip several times, usually in late October or early Nov. Fastest way to get there, but you are exposed to possible tropical weather. The other approach is to stay inshore, out of the Stream and do it nonstop, this has the advantage of allowing you to pull in when the weather threatens. Have done this trip several times, good way to go if there is tropical weather or cold fronts you are concerned about, say in Winter or early October.
Thanks for the input. I'll into your stops and route. Really want to try and avoid any tropical storms if possible.

accnick

Super Anarchist
Thanks for the input. I'll into your stops and route. Really want to try and avoid any tropical storms if possible.
If you go into St. Augustine, follow the channel markers carefully visually, not how they are shown on the chart. This is a shoal entrance with a shifting channel, and the marks are sometimes moved to reflect that fact. (You don’t need to ask how I know this.)

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
Something to think about; the Cape Fear River and Charleston both have significant currents as do many of the Jersey inlets such as Manasquan
If you are coming from Boston, you may well want to practice/equip for docking in > 2 kts of cross current, or restrict your landfalls to place that don't

The Frying Pan Shoal "guards" Cape Fear, and any of the inlets that have signficant current will have "bars" where the silt is dropped as the current slows into the open ocean. Wind against the tide will look like Cape Cod Canal ebbing into Buzzards bay on an Afternoon SW

bwasileski

Living on the north shore in Boston where the tidal change is 9-10 feet on average I've had plenty of opportunity practice docking in cross current. Even so I never enjoy. My previous boat had no bow thruster so there's really only one shot at it. Once the current caught the bow it's game over. Gotta get out of there and go around. But yes, thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts