If You Love dogs......

24 years of Labs here as well, all of them chocolate, the first of whom was a double of the vid star.  We overlap them, so the older one can break in the rookie and they seem to be getting better as we go.  The first one was a great dog, and broke my heart when he went, but was by no measure a good dog, despite my best efforts.  He was good at some things that the others haven't been, superb at heeling off leash when he badly wanted to go sniff the other dog, but was terrible about staying put at the foot of a ladder while Dad went up to secure a hatch or halyard.  Luckily, I was a lot younger then, so carrying a 90 lb  dog down a ladder was feasible.  

They are all different, and I love them all, even when they are being Labs, of whom it has been said " They can carry an egg without breaking it across the yard, then chew through a chain link fence".
always thought it was funny that my dog caught an egg my dad threw.... didn't break it.... but then had no fucking clue what to do with it. Eventually dropped it on a doorjam. Lab/Shepard/street-dog mutt. Dumbest smart dog i've ever seen. Could open a toaster oven to get the bagels out, but tried to get to the other the dock by jumping. It was winter, there was lots of ice in the water. idiot. Also tried to walk off the boat with his leash around a winch (dog was also a runway). Got his front legs on the dock but couldnt go further. My dad and I look up from varnishing as he's looking at us with this "awe.... fuck" look just a moment before he fell in. 

n69He7e.png

IqbyO56.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ovb

Thanks for the video PB....last year I lost Whidbey my 15 year old border collie...and we now have Emmy lou a border collie pup...I forgot how much NRG they have...I must be allergic to this video too....

IStream

Super Anarchist
Yeah, nope. No sad dog videos for me. I'm half-eager half-dreading the arrival of "The Art of Racing in the Rain." Gotta gird myself before diving in.

ajbram

Great Lakes
5uzzVZBtL9-RW14yaBTgW52_ehbXbD1wJcM1KFhmwcKNWp38OZURhKjAGvbzKZKL949j7VWtXc5DhXFXNvzKom7Q-_kxZrxbIR4_trgIdSYTnxx8bHclSPnyzvTev9lwtty2Hy04Ifp_-aaiDNv83PCwBkjDIfhHekQvJvyHQl2riwbPYsn9G7gl3qg9SrYOhT1q-Xp8WQwl5UVvnop3cRBfLDuMjVp51il9vMdYThARbuhJP82jOdydstsQ5dMEqoSPoEtbmS1rWuEv18GDFNN6kB2S5JI04zhgzDzciCUzE-8RaAd3vjgdUTAKBDtVFC-O6UcfsUKlixA5k0L9zvUv2lsJgQCPlgBJlYb7-40n5FbUEbFEP2XxS0aHEaflrMNxABMcIuoYscBQhVAH_qbuXYBGnWd9jfROo4cq_ITClrFcOLOoac2Vf_PKMKUwQaDGhnt7VyVem3ULuploioEepO8GgrAHrAvjkRMBllJfFuEyrAQELxn8DBWlptVZX5_mP8XvVzSrTP4DgflXhIO_rmuXIHhGI3xnFWkbU5c3fODPshTJVhsYiV3qkpuWWCnKL39MtBEw_afoZuEcPLqBxkwRMdiRvFrpchrLTlBMA10k2QS41dveqahqDmCEYTvXk4uUvTrSA1gwFg6AZUSbOX8RZwWsWQBjejvNmgDjUhD471s0E0UNtM1TkToqPjuaeIJlqD955LnSQw=w1235-h926-no

12189461_10153343165369353_6059401162930704326_o.jpg

Labs are just the best. Farley (AKA Adventure Puppy) knows all about the finer points of hiking, whether it's on the boat or on the trail.

ajbram

Great Lakes
Same dog about a week before she left us. She is the only one who just woke up dead and I didn't have to put her down. I think she knew I couldn't handle it.

View attachment 287435
They know way more and are way more perceptive than we give them credit for. My wife has a chronic illness and our dog will just watch her to make sure she is ok. If she's not feeling well, he won't leave her side and will look super concerned until she tells him she's alright. The fairly major surgeries I have had in the 5 years that Farley has been with us (2 ankle rebuilds and a shoulder), he has not left my side - sleeps with his head on wherever the surgery was and licks around the cast when the pain is bad.  He also thinks he's human, but in reality, he's a better person than most people I know. 

30420494_10155667123004353_5862237247597346607_o.jpg

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Yeah, nope. No sad dog videos for me. I'm half-eager half-dreading the arrival of "The Art of Racing in the Rain." Gotta gird myself before diving in.
You better start training ASAP, the rain in the title will be a drizzle in comparison to the deluge you will experience!

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
You better start training ASAP, the rain in the title will be a drizzle in comparison to the deluge you will experience!
Don't scare him off Ed!!!! You know its worth the read.......

BTW - I would not recommend reading the last 1/4 of the book on an airplane like I did. The sobs bother other passengers...........

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Don't scare him off Ed!!!! You know its worth the read.......

BTW - I would not recommend reading the last 1/4 of the book on an airplane like I did. The sobs bother other passengers...........
It's a good thing we know that we are a kind bunch of sensitive, empathetic, yet manly men here.  Given the copious amount of tears,  a newcomer might think otherwise.

My sister gave me the book to read while I was last in the US and although I read it while I was there, I took it back with me to keep it on my book shelves, so yes, I think it was an excellent read.

IStream

Super Anarchist
I think I'm ready to start reading it. It's been sitting on the bedside table calling my name and now it's time to fetch.