If You Love dogs......

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Yes, we have a harness. She can be pretty good on a leash but there are a lot of things that flip her crazy switch. A deer, squirrel, scary old guy walking his dog. She can go nuts. She's only 40 lbs but hits the end of a short leash like a freight train. 
Have you tried a prong collar?  Used correctly, a high quality (Herm Sprenger) prong collar is safer than a choke chain collar. I've got a hard-headed Husky/ GDS mix, and the prong collar is just a gentle reminder to her when she needs it.  With her thick ruff and powerful neck, she can hardly feel a choke collar's pop. 

Last edited by a moderator:

F_L

Anarchist
Canyon Lake, TX
Steamer and CF - Thanks

Sadie is a work in progress and I do need to reintroduce the shock collar. We have been using treat training and it works OK. The problem with carrying around a pocket full of treats is she can smell them. She then follows you around like a little puppy dog. She sits really pretty in hope of a treat.

I had forgotten about the prong collar. I used one with some success many years ago on one of the F_L family pets. Might be a good option for Sadie. 

130lights

Anarchist
Lake Michigan
70B00B5F-C054-433A-9E9D-EEF1CFBA0790.jpeg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Last year Riley was having problems and we had "The Talk". He told me some of his clients put their pets through unnecessary pain and anguish at the end of their lives. He said he would make sure it is painless when the time comes. The time finally came.
I read this a couple of days ago and thought, "This will be me soon."

Then yesterday I was getting ready to go inside and saw my Libby with her frisbee in her mouth, staring at me. OK, we'll play a little!

She was over 13 but played like she was two. I thought, "Maybe not that soon."

Then last night her balance disappeared. She couldn't walk or stand without falling. We both hoped it was something she ate and maybe she'd be better this morning. She wasn't.

Goodbye, Dog of my Dreams.

LibTillTamer.jpg

Gangbusters

Anarchist
Chicago

Then yesterday I was getting ready to go inside and saw my Libby with her frisbee in her mouth, staring at me. OK, we'll play a little!

Then last night her balance disappeared. She couldn't walk or stand without falling. We both hoped it was something she ate and maybe she'd be better this morning. She wasn't.

Sorry Tom. We lost ours 2 years ago today.

15907920-4919-4EE5-966B-670345653269.jpeg

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California

So sorry. I've lost 6 dogs now over the years. I haven't been without a dog for very long since I was 12. Now, the last one is 9 with really bad hips. I fear it won't be too long now. She will be the last. I'm too old and its always too sad. Its been a marvelous run though. Many very excellent dogs. And time marches on.

White Lightning2

Anarchist
PNW
Mama dog is 5 going on 6. Pups are 1 1/2. Kept the very pink nose and the big butt in the bottom right. Girl and boy. These 3 manage to make every day a challenge and fill them with smiles. 

I have had to say goodbye to many 4 legged friends over the years. But I cannot imagine, not sharing my life with them along the way. So, for now, we will run and play. We will lay in the sun and bark at the birds. Give sloppy kisses and bites on the nose.

I am blessed to have them in my life. 

WL

PXL_20210119_140155964.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
So sorry. I've lost 6 dogs now over the years. I haven't been without a dog for very long since I was 12. Now, the last one is 9 with really bad hips. I fear it won't be too long now. She will be the last. I'm too old and its always too sad. Its been a marvelous run though. Many very excellent dogs. And time marches on.
It's sad because having them is so great. Being sad is a reason to get another to me.

But I also have reasons not to get another. I'm not getting younger and we have Kailey the Cowdog and we're thinking of doing some traveling. She's a lot easier to take along, or easier to arrange care for here, than Libby was. Less stinky too. But she doesn't know how to hold a tiller yet.

sun-cat-kailey-3-15.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
libbytonguew.jpg

She was such a happy dog. Just as long as everyone understood whose frisbee that was...

Only one dog could express interest in her frisbee without causing a fight. Luke knew he had nothing to fear from those choppers.

LibLukPupFrisbee.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I had to put chicken wire to prevent our greyhound from doing that.

Greyhounds go 40 mph and a lot of the secret is obvious. Big muscles and little else. But they're different where the rubber meets the road. The traction that allows that incredible acceleration and speed comes from serious talons.

How serious? Years of traffic from various dogs did nothing to my hardwood floor. That's because it's now-extinct Dade County hard pine. You need metal working tools to cut it. Or greyhound claws. He left a divot where he used to jump inside from the porch. Still there.

chirpyw.jpg

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
I had to put chicken wire to prevent our greyhound from doing that.

Greyhounds go 40 mph and a lot of the secret is obvious. Big muscles and little else. But they're different where the rubber meets the road. The traction that allows that incredible acceleration and speed comes from serious talons.

How serious? Years of traffic from various dogs did nothing to my hardwood floor. That's because it's now-extinct Dade County hard pine. You need metal working tools to cut it. Or greyhound claws. He left a divot where he used to jump inside from the porch. Still there.

good looking grey... miss mine..

DSC00159.JPG

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I also have reasons not to get another.
Those went away. My yard just seemed too empty without my doggy. Kailey is my wife's doggy and likes to be inside.

Meet Starr. She's VERY excited about EVERYTHING and really, really wants nothing more than to run around in my yard.

Starr.jpg

First she has to learn some rules and learn about the invisible fence. Right now it's getting light outside and she's READY for me to take her out on the leash.

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Those went away. My yard just seemed too empty without my doggy. Kailey is my wife's doggy and likes to be inside.

Meet Starr. She's VERY excited about EVERYTHING and really, really wants nothing more than to run around in my yard.

Starr.jpg

First she has to learn some rules and learn about the invisible fence. Right now it's getting light outside and she's READY for me to take her out on the leash.

Good Lookin', Happy Doggo! Congratulations!

I'm about to get back in the Shep game. Two months is too long without a dog in the home.